• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne in war of words with Adams

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Stump mics with earpieces is the one bit of technology that should be introduced IMO.
Don't they already have them (or something similar)?

Didn't the umpires use earpieces during the Champions Trophy?
It was for edges, but surely it would pick up any chat.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
a sledge i foun rather funny was by mark boucher to an england batsman i cant remember at this moment in time.....i think it might have been chris adams actually lol :D:D:D hahah yes it was.

Upon reaching thre crease chris adams was greeted by boucher in this fashion, "welcome to your last test innings" :p which incidentaly was his last test innings, quite ironic really, although its hilarious imo

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
age_master said:
with 499 test wickets i really dont think he needs advice from me :p
Well I guess he does, else he wouldn't have cried in West Indies. :D

Oh I can sledge you but If you sledge me I am gonna cry. :lol:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I heard the Chris Cairns thing was Steve Waugh. But yeh, I've heard that story, and it's rather horrible.

And the one about Pollock to Ponting, that's been told millions of times with millions of different players involved, most often with a West Indian playing county cricket. Just like the one about "You hold the bat still, and I'll hit it", which Lillee must have said to everyone going round.

What about a sledge, described by Michael Slater in his interview with Andrew Denton, where he was batting for NSW versus Victoria. While Slater was batting, in between balls Darren Berry and Shane Warne had this thing going where one would say "Tick" and the other "Tock", as in a time bomb going off, because of Slater's renowned brain explosions.

I remember hearing this and thinking it was really funny, even though I've heard of it before, while the rest of my family thought it was awful. Does this make me a bad person? Its hardly a personal slight...

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sir Redman said:
Don't they already have them (or something similar)?

Didn't the umpires use earpieces during the Champions Trophy?
It was for edges, but surely it would pick up any chat.
It was trialled and I think the umpires liked it.

Hopefully the ICC will introduce it,

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sir Redman said:
For example, there's always been the rumour that when Cairns was batting against Austalia, Ricky Ponting would make train noises as a reference to how Cairns' sister(?) died. Whether this is true (which I think it isn't - I think Cairns has publicly denied it) or not, that kind of thing is absolutely disgusting and has no place in any game.
This is the sort of thing that needs to be collapsed on like a ton of bricks. Anyone coming-out with that sort of rubbish deserves a bat wrapped round their head.
Stuff that's not malicious in nature, though, I have no problem with, such as those in the post above.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Sir Redman said:
Strange that the Aussies, traditionally known as the worst sledgers, are the ones who least need to do it.
Cause and effect? My South African coach says that Australia are even further above everyone else because they don't get offended when the chat starts on the cricket pitch.. They can dish it out and just laugh as well, a big advantage in a pressure situation..

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
Cause and effect? My South African coach says that Australia are even further above everyone else because they don't get offended when the chat starts on the cricket pitch.. They can dish it out and just laugh as well, a big advantage in a pressure situation..
Lingering mentality from their convict forefathers? :D

Last edited:

Scallywag

Banned
Sir Redman said:
Lingering mentality from their convict forefathers? :D
The convicts played one 20/20 match, five ODI's and three tests in NZ Redman can you correctly guess how many of those games NZ won. :D

OK I'll give you a clue, its a single digit figure and its got a ZERO in it. :D

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Scallywag said:
The convicts played one 20/20 match, five ODI's and three tests in NZ Redman can you correctly guess how many of those games NZ won. :D

OK I'll give you a clue, its a single digit figure and its got a ZERO in it. :D
Settle down, settle down...

And your point is what exactly?

Scallywag

Banned
Sir Redman said:
Settle down, settle down...

And your point is what exactly?
My point is when you are a loser (NZ) you make smart **** remarks about the winners (AUS) to cover your embarrasment at getting flogged. :D

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Scallywag said:
My point is when you are a loser (NZ) you make smart **** remarks about the winners (AUS) to cover your embarrasment at getting flogged. :D
The recent series had absolutely no influence on that comment at all. Generally speaking NZers make smart remarks about Australians whether we get flogged or not - and I know the Aussies dish it out just as much.

And its not as though I'm embarassed about losing - I expected to get thrashed since we were playing Australia. If I had predicted that NZ would win then maybe I would throw my toys a bit but since I didn't I don't have any reason to be embarassed.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
<quack> Sorry, it didn't happen that way at all. We just happened to have the Devil Ducky stump-mic installed at Hove that day. First time it's had an airing since WC2003.

<shane> A good morning to you, Mr Adams
<grizzly> Ayup, you daft blond fairy.

<shane> I must say that Hove is looking very splendid for late April.
<grizzly> Like a bit of gardening do you, fatty?

<shane> Oh yes. I must say my marigolds are coming along really well this year. That's one of the reasons I decided to buy a house in Hampshire
<grizzly> I heard about that. Next to the chemist's isn't it?

<shane> I had prior knowledge that this lovely cottage was about to come onto the market so I put a bid in early.
<grizzly> PRIOR???? Leave Matty out of it you Aussie git.

<shane> You have to read the small print before you venture into anything like a house purchase though.
<grizzly> PRINT??? Text, more like. Received any interesting messages on your phone lately?

<shane> Weather looks as though it's closing in.
<grizzly> How much did John pay you for that? Did you give him a pitch report too?

<matty> Ah, a dolly. (swipe). Oops!
<shane> HOWZAAAATTTTT?

<merv (kitchen) Out, plumb.
<shane> (punches air) Yesssss!

<grizzly> You barracked him out. I've lost all respect for you. Poor lad's just a boy.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scallywag said:
Oh God. Who let him in?

:dry:

Craig

World Traveller
cricketfan said:
8. Ricky Ponting & Shaun Pollock:
After going past the outside edge with a couple of deliveries, Pollock told Ponting: "It's red, round & weighs about 5 ounces."
Unfortunately for Pollock, the next ball was hammered out of the ground. Ponting to Pollock: "You know what it looks like, now go find it."
Um I believe it was Viv Richards said it to Greg Thomas in a county match in the 80's. I believe Richards was playing for Somerset at the time.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Credit where it's due. I've been watching Northants v Hampshire on Sky Sports 2 & Warne just said clearly "played, mate" to Afzaal when he made his 50.