• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
not very strangely i guess, he's heart broken now courtesy ur assault :D

[Edited on 8/30/02 by Gotchya]

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
T_C:

Regarding McGrath:

his biggest weapon is not a wicked bouncer or a swinging yorker or searing pace.
It is his amzing consistency and patience. He just keeps pegging away on and just outside offstump and moves it just a shade making the batsman try to take the initiative and make a mistake.

The best way to counter him would be to out-think him by being more patient. Unless you are Laxman or sachin...you better play him with respect ...the man's got the performance to back him.

His major tactic is strangling the batsman...i rarely see him concede a lot of runs...but when u leave all his balls outside the offstump it makes him try to bowl more on the stumps to force the batsman to play

This opens up the chance of him strayin to leg and the batsman getting a chance to work him to midwicket.

If he concedes a boundary once every two overs then the pressure will get to him and he will try to compensate by trying something new...but usually the batsmen become impateint...try to wrest the initiative and mostly lose out.

This is something you will never see with waqar(Of old), akram, gillespie, lee, akhtar, donald and co.

Mcgrath in my opinion doest have a single banzai wicket takin delivery a la waqar, wasim or donald. (NOT being harsh here...hope you get my drift)

His weapons are patience, consistency, Bounce,close to the wicket. Take away the first two..he will be a much diff bowler.

kiwis showed how effective it is. may be if some one else does we will have confirmation.

[Edited on 8/30/02 by scorpio]

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Definites (if fit)
Hussain - captain
Trescothick
Vaughan - established openers
Butcher - much as I don't rate him, he's in form
Gough - best bowler
Hoggard - can swing it a lot when in form
Flintoff - we have no other all rounders

Probables
Crawley - has played himself back in
Stewart - fantastic form, but we don't want to leave ourselves with no-one when he quits
Caddick - doesn't travel well, except to NZ
Giles - no other spinners...
Ramprakash - *cough*
Tudor - *cough*
Key - learning
White - competent with both aspects

Possibles - plus a few wildcards
Read
Foster - future keepers
Fulton - I'll keep saying it
Knight - averaging 90+ this year. "not a test player"
Thorpe - "sabbatical" issues
Bell - potential
Blackwell - in ODI Trophy squad, for the future
Kadeer Ali
Shafayat
Hogg - impressive for U19s
Harmison
Jones - impressive debuts, but the "wrong" counties
Cork - sorry, but it's over
Maddy - hot form
Kabir Ali
Dean
Saggers - fantastic seasons (again, Martin..)
Dawson
Graeme Swann
Jason Brown
Salisbury - a few spinners - we're screwed in sydney

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Strangely Lucky Eddie has gone silent on cork...is it coz the raw facts are too much
Personal attacks are just what I would expect. Don't do it - it is not the right thing to do.

Putting a smiling emoticon at the end of it doesn't make it funny (although you seem to think that it is). I'm just not bothered about anything you say any more, because you are so very predictable.

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
Personal attacks are just what I would expect. Don't do it - it is not the right thing to do.

How is that a personal attack ? I asked if where u went and why i didnt get a reply on a topic you are so passionate abt..

It was just a sarcastic remark.

Oh wait ...tht was very personal and insulting...let me put it this way..hope u are not offended.

Mr LuckyEddie :

Dear sir,
Can i have your esteemed opinion about my post about cork.

Ohhh no...now i am asking you to reply to my post...how rude..how dare i ?

Shall i grovel now ?

I'm just not bothered about anything you say any more, because you are so very predictable.
Haha...riight.

get over yourself and try to respond to my arguments with some facts instead of complaining...

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
i wrote before that Caddick would be a liability. But i also reckon he will be picked.

Wht do u think abt him? I think he can bowl..but something wrong upstairs..and mentally fragile bowlers dont cut ice in aus.

Or can he finally make it?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Good... :D

Caddick seems to be able to play on pitches that suit him or where he feels at home (England, NZ - eg Headingley 00). But travelling he hasn't succeeded at all.

He'll go, and probably fail. Hope I'm wrong..

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Good news for english fans, thorpe(one of my favourites) has requested to be considered for the ashes. He's been i suppose englands best batsmen against the aussies,(avg. 45).
Just hope(after all he's english ;)) that he lives up to it.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I'm not sure that he's in the mental state to cope with an Ashes tour. If it was to somewhere like Zimbabwe, Kenya or Bangladesh then yes, but I don't think he will cut it with the mental side of things.

i.e. The Aussies will murder him with sledging

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I don't think they would need to get personal - I don't think that mentally he'd be up to withstanding much at all.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Agreed. he'll have his problems on the tour. Its heartening to see that he wants to get back to cricket.

He's got to do what he's most adapt at to feel better :)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
You mean adept :)

I think spending the winter playing state cricket in Australia/NZ/W.Indies/S.Africa/Zimbabwe would be more productive for him, though.

tenchi

Banned
I am quite certain that there will be sufficient Surrey players on tour to make Mr Thorpe feel quite at home in Australia this winter.

tenchi

Banned
This is the only website where I have actually seen the name 'Dean' used in the same phrase as the word 'Australia'.

This season, he and Cork up the road have been devastating in county cricket, but I think that a place on the Ashes tour will not happen for him. Possibly a winter at the Academy would be a good thing - there hasn't really been an effective left-arm seamer for England in recent years with (perhaps) the exception af Alan Mullally.

Regarding Mr Cork, the England selectors do not seem to be able to make up their minds whether he is still an England player or not. This dilemma appears to be shared by several of the regular contributors to this site.

Against India at Trent Brige Cork had a couple of spells when he was awful and a couple of spells when he was almost unplayable. This tends to be the gentleman's problem - a perception of inconsistency which will forever follow him around.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
That was partly caused by desperation after the abject bowling display at Headingley.

To recap:

Definites (if fit)
Hussain - captain
Trescothick
Vaughan - established openers
Butcher - much as I don't rate him, he's in form
Gough - best bowler
Hoggard - can swing it a lot when in form
Flintoff - we have no other all rounders

Probables
Crawley - has played himself back in
Stewart - fantastic form, but we don't want to leave ourselves with no-one when he quits
Caddick - doesn't travel well, except to NZ
Giles - no other spinners...
Ramprakash - *cough*
Tudor - *cough*
Key - learning
White - competent with both aspects

Possibles - plus a few wildcards
Irani - has his chance, it's down to him at the Oval
Read
Foster - future keepers
Fulton - I'll keep saying it
Knight - averaging 90+ this year. "not a test player"
Thorpe - "sabbatical" issues
Bell - potential
Blackwell - in ODI Trophy squad, for the future
Kadeer Ali
Shafayat
Hogg - impressive for U19s
Harmison
Jones - impressive debuts, but the "wrong" counties
Cork - sorry, but it's over
Maddy - hot form
Kabir Ali
Dean
Saggers - fantastic seasons (again, Martin..)
Dawson
Graeme Swann
Jason Brown
Salisbury - a few spinners - we're screwed in sydney

A heck of a lot of the bottom group won't go. But I am concerned that two which shouldn't even make "possibles" will go, namely:

Rikki Clarke
Ian Ward

And we all know full well why :(!

[Edited on 9/2/02 by Neil Pickup]