• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players to watch for next season!

brockley

International Captain
Which non state cricket/fringe player could you see making the grade in the next 2 years.
From NSW moises henriques,jarrad burke,murray creed ,steve o'keefe,michael bright,and aaron bird.
Qld nick kruger,ryan leroux,SA ken skewes,cullen baily,trent kelly,VIC nick jewell,michael klinger,liam buchanan,simon dart,tim welsford,robert cassell,TAs tim paine bill hilfenhaus,ACT shaun heaney.
Anyone know of anyone else in grade who probably deserves a berth in their state side next year.
Be interested to see how moises henriques goes there are a lot of tabs on him to play for australia one day.
Anyone know of any other talent round the country.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
brockley said:
hhmmm, ok lets see.
nick jewell
no.
michael klinger
no
liam buchanan
no (except for twenty20)
simon dart
yes...oh wait, he's *supposed to be* the stinkiest person in victorian cricket and so they won't pick him.

no
tim welsford,robert cassell
welsford is just another mcdonald/harvey type. cassell's a good bowler, but breaks more times than Bells Beach.

brockley said:
Be interested to see how moises henriques goes there are a lot of tabs on him to play for australia one day.
I hope he gets a game for NSW, especially if they don't do well in the ING cup again this year.

Also read in the paper today that Inness is looking at QLD or WA (surely have to go to WA, if he doesn't want to move to QLD to play Grade cricket all year), and that Hodge has left for England saying "I've left as a Victorian, and I'll return a Victorian.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
I hope he gets a game for NSW, especially if they don't do well in the ING cup again this year.

Also read in the paper today that Inness is looking at QLD or WA (surely have to go to WA, if he doesn't want to move to QLD to play Grade cricket all year), and that Hodge has left for England saying "I've left as a Victorian, and I'll return a Victorian.
Moises has to perform in grade cricket before he gets a game for NSW, you don't get picked on potential alone.

On Inness he would be stupid if he went to Oueensland, he has to remember Ben Edmondson and Magoffin went to WA cus they couldn't get a game in OLD, what is the chances of Inness getting a game.

On Hogde i thought it was unlikely he would go to NSW, but i did read somewhere that he thinks moving to NSW may increase his chances of playing for Australia.

blockbuster

Cricket Spectator
brockley said:
Which non state cricket/fringe player could you see making the grade in the next 2 years.
From NSW moises henriques,jarrad burke,murray creed ,steve o'keefe,michael bright,and aaron bird.
Qld nick kruger,ryan leroux,SA ken skewes,cullen baily,trent kelly,VIC nick jewell,michael klinger,liam buchanan,simon dart,tim welsford,robert cassell,TAs tim paine bill hilfenhaus,ACT shaun heaney.
Anyone know of anyone else in grade who probably deserves a berth in their state side next year.
Anyone know of any other talent round the country.
Good post mate. Of that lot, I think Bird is the one to watch.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I heard Aaron Bird is distantly related to Ian Meckiff? I've heard they have some similar...characteristics.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
brockley said:
On the NSW players i would add Mark Cameron to that 55 wkts @ 15.44 (second only to Doug Bollinger for most wickets in grade cricket).

Jarrad Burke is probably the closest to the state side out of all these guys with a very impressive season last year with bat and bowl:
780 runs @ 41.05, 2 - 100s and 5 - 50s
37 wkts @ 22.38, 2 - 5wh

Henriques has another decent season with the bowl, but didn't impress too much with the bat:
285 runs @ 25.91, 2 - 50s
24 wkts @ 25.83

Both O'Keefe also had a decent season with bat and bowl
679 runs @ 33.95, 24 wkts @ 29.58

Bright had a really good seaon with the bat, but he is rated as an all rounder, but his leg break have never really developed:
Bright: 754 runs @ 53.86, 4 wkts @ 74.25

Murry Creed, i don't know much about him but he had a really good season with the bat, leading sun scoring in grade cricket this season:
1102 runs @ 58

Bird had a pretty good season, but was out bowled by Cameron:
36 wkts @ 23.06

All in all looks like a pretty good side for the future:
E Cowan
P Jaques
J Burke
D Thornley
J Packman
B Haddin
M Bright/ M Hendriques
J Krejza
S O'Keefe
A Bird
M Cameron
D Bollinger

dro87

U19 12th Man
liam buchanan is one 2 look out... He played in Italy a couple of years ago touring with crusedeirs... He hit me for 2 consecutives 6 and won the game for them... Great tec an loads of power... PLus his dad is quite famous... LOL!

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
buchanan is as destructive batsman as you will find. seems to go up and down a bit though, he'll go through an awesome patch we're he'll be smashing them, then suddenly can't take a trick.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
dro87 said:
liam buchanan is one 2 look out... He played in Italy a couple of years ago touring with crusedeirs... He hit me for 2 consecutives 6 and won the game for them
Plenty of people have done that to me (well, when I say plenty I mean 2, which is plenty enough for my liking). That doesn't make them good.

dro87

U19 12th Man
i consider my self a great bowler... test quality... :p only kidding... He made it look so easy... And hit them really really big... would have been 6's in the big "G" too...

brockley

International Captain
Defitely nsw have a few spare spots unless jon moss comes,especially at 7,who failed at 7 o'brien who had big wraps,kregja and lambert who regularly fails when he gets a chance.Steve o'keefe was meant to make his debut in the one day side against tasmania but it rained.With the nsw ing side likely to come bottom next season again would like to see them blood a lot of new youngsters in the side,mail and phelps as well as thornley all failed.Would like to see the selectors pick moises as the 3rd pacemen in the ing side,this way he can have a good dig as a batsmen if the top 6 fails and bradstreet has to rescue us again.
With the vics likely to lose elliot and maybe moss and harvey,its a chance to blood some new talent,heard big things about liam buchanan.Would love to see nick kruger shift interstate he looks like he has a lot of promise.
Tassie is in dire needs of talent they have a good ing side,but the batsmen really struggle in 4 day cricket,if i moved anywhere it would be tassie or s australia.
With qld you gotta remember dawes and bichel are in the twilight of their career,altho doubt innes would like the wait,he'd be better off in wa.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
dro87 said:
just need some 2 use his heqd while batting... has he made his fc debut YET?
nah he hasn't. he played in the twenty20 game vs WA though, got burnt for a diamond and dropped a gobba. but did manage to kick a beachball back to the crowd.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
Moises has to perform in grade cricket before he gets a game for NSW, you don't get picked on potential alone.
he may get picked for 2nd XI on potential though, now hes finished school he will have more time to play cricket.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
brockley said:
Defitely nsw have a few spare spots unless jon moss comes,especially at 7,who failed at 7 o'brien who had big wraps,kregja and lambert who regularly fails when he gets a chance.Steve o'keefe was meant to make his debut in the one day side against tasmania but it rained.With the nsw ing side likely to come bottom next season again would like to see them blood a lot of new youngsters in the side,mail and phelps as well as thornley all failed.Would like to see the selectors pick moises as the 3rd pacemen in the ing side,this way he can have a good dig as a batsmen if the top 6 fails and bradstreet has to rescue us again.
It not as bad as you think when it comes to the ING side:
1. Lambert has hardly had any games and continues to perform in Grade cricket. You can't really say some regularly fails if they only had 4 games.
2. Krejza is not really a batsmen yet and probably should of played more as a bowler, he batted too high at 7. If he bat lower he should have more success, in saying that he is probably more of a FC player then 1day.
3. Packman and Cowan should potential has season should improve this season if given a decent run.
4. Jarrad Burke would probably be closer to getting a game compared to O'Keefe and Hendriques
5. Bradstreet for some reason is unlikely to get a contract as O'Keefe an Burke are likely to get a contract infront of him. It looks like their youth policy is going to start with him.
6. Thornley is close to getting into the Australia ODI team, so i wouldn't worry about his 1Day abilty. He didn't have the greatest season last season but i'm sure he will turn it around next year.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
age_master said:
he may get picked for 2nd XI on potential though, now hes finished school he will have more time to play cricket.
Im sure he will get picked for the 2nd XI, but i doubt he will get picked for the 1st XI unless he improves his batting. NSW need batting all rounder, not bowling all rounder, which is what he has been so far in Grade cricket.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
6. Thornley is close to getting into the Australia ODI team, so i wouldn't worry about his 1Day abilty. He did have the greatest season last season but i'm sure he will turn it around next year.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
2. Krejza is not really a batsmen yet and probably should of played more as a bowler, he batted too high at 7. If he bat lower he should have more success, in saying that he is probably more of a FC player then 1day.
Krezja can bat alright and he can certainly hit the ball when he wants to, NSW just need to sort out what role they want him to play in the side and give him a consistent run

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
Im sure he will get picked for the 2nd XI, but i doubt he will get picked for the 1st XI unless he improves his batting. NSW need batting all rounder, not bowling all rounder, which is what he has been so far in Grade cricket.

indeed young batsmen seem to find it harder in grade cricket than young bowlers...