• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players to watch for next season!

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
age_master said:
indeed young batsmen seem to find it harder in grade cricket than young bowlers...
Depends on which young batsmen or bowlers you talk about:
- Micheal Bright has batted a lot better then his bowled and he started as a bowling all rounder
- Andy O'Brien also found his feet with the bat before he did with the ball, well if he ever found his feet with the ball
- Then you have guys like Dave Christian and Mosies who bowled better then they batted so far

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
age_master said:
Krezja can bat alright and he can certainly hit the ball when he wants to, NSW just need to sort out what role they want him to play in the side and give him a consistent run
he can bat, but hasn't showed it regularly one the FC class stage and cus their is guys like Jarrad Burke and O'Keefe who have batted pretty well last season and are more then handy bowlers they may get the No 7 spot in the ING side infront of him. I see him as MacGill long term replacement, so his spot most likely at No 8. Cus of that he may have to wait a while unless he can improve his batting and get a regular spot in the Top 7.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
age_master said:
a few lesser known youngsters have struggled with the bat alot too
Yeah i know what you mean, most of the young guys at Manly who played for NSW at junior level have struggled with the bat and struggled to convert their youth success onto 1st Grade Cricket. But you could say the same thing for bowlers, Bird and Cameron have one good season then have an average season, same would apply to Liam Zammit.

Galactic_Soap

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Liam Zammit what a tool, I remember playing against that guy in Penrith, is he still bowling with his hat on ? Any way, anyone heard of a kid called Ahilin Beatle[sp] ? I remember Penrith thought he was there next big thing.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Galactic_Soap said:
Liam Zammit what a tool, I remember playing against that guy in Penrith, is he still bowling with his hat on ? Any way, anyone heard of a kid called Ahilin Beatle[sp] ? I remember Penrith thought he was there next big thing.
Yeah he played for the Australian U19s and it rated as an ok opening bat who can bowl some decent left arm spin. He didn't do anything special this season and looks like his batting has gone down hill fast:
63 runs @ 5.25, 9 wtks @ 25.89

brockley

International Captain
I have a friend who knows beadle apparently a nice chap, i am sure he will do better next year,maybe struggling to balance cricket with studies.
Don't see them cutting bradstreet he was our best player last year :D ,remember buzzard he played till his mid late 30's,so may bradstreet.For those who don't know buzzard its bradly mcnamara :p .
I think we have a lot of promising allrounders to be honest,dunno who the blues will go for next season,may depend on the first few weeks of grade.
Expect big things from creed he is a protea who has played for east province,really took a shine to grade this year and going to the academy as well.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I read in the local paper that Bradstreet may not get a contract if we get some experienced batsmen like Hogde and Moss, he spot maybe be given to a young all rounder like O'Keefe or Burke. BTW is it true that Australian contracted players don't come under the 20 or so contracted players. If this is so then we can add two extra players to the roster, as Haddin and Bracken got new contract.

brockley

International Captain
Interesting!
The national contracts are 25 and they have been released,brakken and haddin both got a contract.
Will be interested how john hastings goes he won the rexona cricket award for the most proming junior.
In the under 19 tournament he batted in the top order and opened the bowling both with success,seems a shane watson type of player hope tassie or someone else doesn't nick him first.
Interesting murray creed,james packman and aaron bird chosen for the academy would suggest all 3 would get contracts.
I don't hold out any hope of us snaring moss or hodge to be honest,moss is contracted and hodge has no real reason to leave victoria.If clarke fails in england he will have a test spot already.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
brockley said:
Interesting!
The national contracts are 25 and they have been released,brakken and haddin both got a contract.
Will be interested how john hastings goes he won the rexona cricket award for the most proming junior.
In the under 19 tournament he batted in the top order and opened the bowling both with success,seems a shane watson type of player hope tassie or someone else doesn't nick him first.
Interesting murray creed,james packman and aaron bird chosen for the academy would suggest all 3 would get contracts.
I don't hold out any hope of us snaring moss or hodge to be honest,moss is contracted and hodge has no real reason to leave victoria.If clarke fails in england he will have a test spot already.
Moss wants to come back, but Victoria doesn't want to let him go. With Eliott, Hodge, Harvey and Moss maybe going, Victoria want to atleast keep two of them. It seems their perference is to keep Hodge and Eliott then Moss and Harvey least wanted out of those four. If they had their way im sure they would want to keep them all but Hodge is the only one that hasn't said that he doesn't want to move states.

On NSW contracts I expect Creed and Packman to get contracts and Zammit and Forrest to lose their contracts. Then you have guys like Burke, O'Keefe, Bright, Hastings to be a chance. The guys they might replace is Christian, O'Brien, Nash, Lambert or Bradstreet. If we get two extra contracts through Haddin and Bracken then i would drop Christian and Nash.

brockley

International Captain
Nash was injured for much of the season did well when he could,for nsw 2nd xl and fairfield.No doubt we have a lot of talented back up pacemen.Kregja will be the 2nd spinner,if jarrad burke or stev o'keefe get chosen they are spinners as well,shame aaron o'brien went off the boil a promising youngster.
Would like to see the nsw ing made up of promising youngsters to build for the future,our former ing glories went when bevo and co went.
Remember jarrad burke was in the victorious world youth cup side 3 years ago,proved a very useful spinner in the side,infact i think he was more successful than cam white in the side with the ball.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I think they may go for a the youngster hastings infront of Nash, very highly rated like Moises. O'Brien did pretty well for Easts when he went back to grade cricket. BTW do you know which club Hastings plays for.

aussieyobbo

Cricket Spectator
john hastings is certainly destined for bigger and better things. i played alongside of him in his very first match (also happened to be my first ever match) for the st.joseph's cricket club here in penrith back in the 93/94 season, under 9's .he couldnt bat, couldnt bowl either. his dad was coach. he stayed back a year as he played a year above for that inital season and boy didnt he improve out of sight! he became a hard hitting opening batsman and a very quick opening bowler. made the junior rep side for penrith, got to about the under 14's, got told he wasnt good enough for the first rep side, so he got dropped to the 2nd side, absolutley killed them! averaged about 130 with the bat. he then got back into the first rep. side for penrith the next season and has been on the rise ever since. he then tried out for grade with hawkesbury and then has been going up the ranks. was a thrill to see him in the paper's every week doing heaps well. it was an even bigger thrill to see him touted by geoff lawson as a fast bowler with a bucket loads of potential. it was also great to see him on sports tonight getting interviewed for his scholarship with rexona. all i can say is, he's come a long way from being a disruptive lad who was always mucking around at training. he hope he does play for NSW and then australia one day. he truly deserves it.
also ahillen beadle (thats the proper spelling) is also a player with great potential. he's a fantastic lad and a great player. he should go to another club, because penrith have a history of stuffing up young players with great potential (just look at nathan bracken, greg hunt, who was the aussie under 19's captain and also glenn mcgrath who they told wasnt good enough when he tried out for them a long time ago) you see a lot of penrith juniors now playing for hawkesbury,blacktown and bankstown.
also other young players to watch out for whom ive played with and against at junior level are stephen o'keefe, gavin atkin and a young lad called simon keen.

brockley

International Captain
Yeh moises won last season.
Good stuff yobbo,be interested to see how o'keefe goes he went to the last world youth cup.

aussieyobbo

Cricket Spectator
o'keefe definatley has a good head on his shoulders. great leader, if he ever made the NSW side he could possibly be a future captain. definatley needs more games for the NSW 2nd XI. he never used to wear a helmet in our younger days, even against the real quick bowlers including sam gilmour (son of former aussie player gary) who was very very quick.

brockley

International Captain
He played a few games last season for the 2nd xl last season,mathew mott as the 2ndxl coach seems to be doing a good job.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Interesting with the whole Matthew Mott thing. They picked him over Bevan to be the assistant coach, which is why Bevan went down to Tasmania, and they reckon that Bevan's only doing that to get more cash, he's not really even doing that much coaching.