• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Betting on the world cup !!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
masterblaster said:
That's a good wager for me too, I'd be tempted to put money on them as when the Kiwis have it going, they're very good.
Problem is the 14-1 doesn't have an e/w option.

Looking at this competition, the only option is to look for the e/w.

Deja moo

International Captain
Seems far too early to place a bet on anyone. The world order could turn topsy-turvy in 2 years time.

C_C

International Captain
Bah.

If you are gonna bet money, atleast bet on something where you can play a decisive role.
Which is why the only time i bet good money, its in poker!
:D :D

BoyBrumby

Englishman
C_C said:
Bah.

If you are gonna bet money, atleast bet on something where you can play a decisive role.
Which is why the only time i bet good money, its in poker!
:D :D
Ah, but it's a magical feeling going into a bookies with a winning slip. You've weighed up the odds, laid your bet & beaten the system.

Betting, like raising & bluffing in poker (are you a no-limit Texas hold 'em man?) is a skill of calculated risk. I once took £83 from a £5 stake on 6 home wins (Association Football). I swear I was nearly hard when I collected! :D

C_C

International Captain
Betting, like raising & bluffing in poker (are you a no-limit Texas hold 'em man?) is a skill of calculated risk. I once took £83 from a £5 stake on 6 home wins (Association Football). I swear I was nearly hard when I collected!
Seriosly brumbie boyo...the last bit was too much information
:D

Well i dont see the 'skill' in betting on cricket games or 'who's gonna win what' kinda stuff....
its totally outta your control and you are essentially guessing.....with poker atleast you can fold your hand or know how good it is.....

by the way... i play Texas Hold'em, Omaha, 7 card stud.....with pot limit or no limit...depending on how good i am feeling.
:D

BoyBrumby

Englishman
C_C said:
Well i dont see the 'skill' in betting on cricket games or 'who's gonna win what' kinda stuff....
its totally outta your control and you are essentially guessing.....with poker atleast you can fold your hand or know how good it is.....
It's a bit more than simple guess work, I suppose what you're doing is financially backing your judgement. Some blokes (& lasses too I guess) are good enough at it to do it for a living. Of course it's never going to be an exact science (if it was my account wouldn't be -£51 for the 2004/05 season!), but it does involve skill of sorts.

If you were guessing you may as well stick a pin in a board with the names of the 16 teams in the World Cup....

"Bangladesh? Great! £100 on Bangladesh to win please, Mr Ladbrookes" :D

Mecnun

U19 Debutant
I am not a bettingf man and I do not gamble however I havent quite understood the concept of spread betting ..anyone?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Mecnun said:
I am not a bettingf man and I do not gamble however I havent quite understood the concept of spread betting ..anyone?
It's basically about beating "the spread". Say Great Britain plays Australia in a Rugby League test. The bookies may offer a spread of Australia to win by 15-20 points. If you fancy Great Britain to lose by fewer than 15 points you would "buy" them at a certain price, say £1. For each point fewer than 15 you would win £1, so an Australia win by 3 points would equal £12 profit. If, however, Australia won by 25 points you stand to lose £5.

The dangerous thing about spread betting is that it has unlimited liability. For instance when Lara made his 400* the spread was 60-65 runs. Imagine you'd "sold" him (backed against him scoring more than 60 runs). Even at £1 a run that's a hefty loss.... :wacko:

Last edited:

Mecnun

U19 Debutant
Thanks BB... I think I got the hang of it. So if an Aus v England ODI. The spread on England batting is 250-270 and I buy ? (i.e back England to score more than 270 at a quid each and England score 300, I make £30.

However if England are all out for 200, I lose £50.

What if England score 260? it's all even or do I lose £10?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
If England are all out for 260 (or 252, or 269, or 258...), AFAIK there's no money changing hands.

You can also buy/sell at increased prices, so buying Lara at 60-65 for a tenner would win you 10 × 335 = £3,350!

An example of this was in the WC99 spreads for "total wides for tournament", when the bookmakers forgot that it was a white ball in England in May with ODI wide rules and got screwed.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Mecnun said:
Thanks BB... I think I got the hang of it. So if an Aus v England ODI. The spread on England batting is 250-270 and I buy ? (i.e back England to score more than 270 at a quid each and England score 300, I make £30.

However if England are all out for 200, I lose £50.

What if England score 260? it's all even or do I lose £10?
Bookies get it both ways I'm afraid, so you'd lose a tenner. You've effectively backed them to score more than 270.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Further to that...

Sporting Index Disasters

1999 Cricket World Cup - Number of Wides bowled during the Tournament

This is perhaps the most famous example of the punters knowing more than the bookie. In the 1999 Cricket World Cup we predicted that there would be between 244 and 247 wides bowled during the entire tournament.

We were clearly wrong. The Punters Bible (The Racing Post) tipped the market as a fantastic ‘BUY’ and by the time we had realised the difficulty bowlers would have controlling the swing generated by the white bowl in English conditions it was too late. Before a ball had even been bowled the price had moved into the 500s.

The total eventually reached just under 1000; any one who had bought at just £2 a wide would have won £1,500. The overall loss to Sporting Index was in excess of £350,000.

The World Record - Brian Lara’s 375

Brian Lara’s historic innings of 375 still lives on in spread betting folklore. Trading on this majestic batsman’s runs is always hazardous because no matter what the conditions, state of the match or the price, clients always want to go higher than our prediction.

When Lara created batting history, disaster on a monumental scale was inevitable and it duly registered as a six figure loss. Each boundary cost Sporting Index £1,500 - Lara hit 60 of them!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
BoyBrumby said:
Ah, but it's a magical feeling going into a bookies with a winning slip. You've weighed up the odds, laid your bet & beaten the system.

Betting, like raising & bluffing in poker (are you a no-limit Texas hold 'em man?) is a skill of calculated risk. I once took £83 from a £5 stake on 6 home wins (Association Football). I swear I was nearly hard when I collected! :D
£83 for a £5 stake - really living dangerously there (!)

I took just under £600 for going down all 8 Premier games a couple of years back (and the funny thing was I didn't even realise I'd done it when I watched Final Score.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:
If England are all out for 260 (or 252, or 269, or 258...), AFAIK there's no money changing hands.
Incorrect.

If it's 260 you lose 10 times stake (since you put on money at 270)

You buy at the higher value and sell at the lower (hence the bookies make their money)

The trick to it all is finding a surefire winner (ie one quotes 250-260, other quotes 265-275)

Buy at 260, sell at 265 and profits are yours.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
marc71178 said:
£83 for a £5 stake - really living dangerously there (!)

I took just under £600 for going down all 8 Premier games a couple of years back (and the funny thing was I didn't even realise I'd done it when I watched Final Score.
I only bet what I can afford to lose (& what I can safely hide from the other half! :p ) so as a poor civil servant a fiver is my standard punt!