• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Aggressive XI

Shounak

Banned
Who do you think are the world's most aggressive players. Any era. Some that spring to mind are Warney, Andre Nel, (The Great) D.K. Lillee...

Any others?

Lets see an XI

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I'm taking aggressive as primarily an attacking play style, with minimal emphasis on personal demeanor.

Current XI
Matthew Hayden
Virender Sehwag
Ricky Ponting (c)
Brian Lara
Chris Gayle
Andrew Flintoff
Adam Gilchrist (k)
Shane Warne
Brett Lee
Shoaib Akhtar
Andre Nel

Shounak

Banned
FaaipDeOiad said:
I'm taking aggressive as primarily an attacking play style, with minimal emphasis on personal demeanor.

Current XI
Matthew Hayden
Virender Sehwag
Ricky Ponting (c)
Brian Lara
Chris Gayle
Andrew Flintoff
Adam Gilchrist (k)
Shane Warne
Brett Lee
Shoaib Akhtar
Andre Nel
I should've been a bit more clear. I meant in terms of attitude. Someone like Sachin Tendulkar would never make the team in a million years. The same would probably go for Brett Lee. My emphasis is on the mental side of things.

bradman2005

Cricket Spectator
A.Gilchrist
V.Sehwag
IVA.Richards
B.Lara
C.Carins
C.McMillan
I.Botham
S.Warne
D.Lillee
C.Ambrose
G.McGrath

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Gilchrist
Sehwag
Richards
Lara
Miller
Botham
Jessop
Kapil
Constantine
Prasanna
Gilchrist

Steulen

International Regular
SJS said:
Gilchrist
Sehwag
Richards
Lara
Miller
Botham
Jessop
Kapil
Constantine
Prasanna
Gilchrist
Nice circular team, SJS :)

Current ODI Slogfest XI (yes, I know, different emphasis, so sue me):

Gilchrist (...Adam...Gilchrist)
Gayle
Ponting
Van Bunge (mandatory Dutchman; fastest ever Young MCC century though, so 'legitimate' claim)
Flintoff
Cairns
Afridi
Kemp
Lee
Mills
Nel

A bit light on spin bowling perhaps, but that wouldn't be too much of a problem I guess :)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Steulen said:
Nice circular team, SJS :)

Current ODI Slogfest XI (yes, I know, different emphasis, so sue me):

Gilchrist (...Adam...Gilchrist)
Gayle
Ponting
Van Bunge (mandatory Dutchman; fastest ever Young MCC century though, so 'legitimate' claim)
Flintoff
Cairns
Afridi
Kemp
Lee
Mills
Nel

A bit light on spin bowling perhaps, but that wouldn't be too much of a problem I guess :)
If you're really looking for a slogfest side, you'd want Symonds in there I think, maybe instead of Ponting.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
A current aggressive XI

Gilchrist
Sehwag
Gayle
Pietersen
Symonds
Afridi
Flintoff
Razzaq
Kemp
Lee
Nell

I would like to fit in Murali somewhere. Spinners dont come more agressive than Murali. I would have put him in the all time team in place of Prasanna maybe.

Steulen

International Regular
FaaipDeOiad said:
If you're really looking for a slogfest side, you'd want Symonds in there I think, maybe instead of Ponting.
Good call. Of course Van Bunge would be the most obvious one to miss out :).

OTOH, the side I posted was already heavy on lower order biffers, with Ponting in it there's at least a genuine #3 in there who doesn't mind swinging his fluorescent carbon graphite rocket launcher.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Why are people picking Warne? The Aussie may be an aggressive batsman but he is primarily a bowler and has a strike rate of nearly 60. Even his deputy Stuart MacGill is superior in this regard.

Victor Trumper
Virender Sehwag
Viv Richards
Brian Lara
Clem Hill
Adam Gilchrist
Kapil Dev
Malcolm Marshall
Waqar Younis
Shoaib Akhtar
Sydney Barnes

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
a massive zebra said:
Why are people picking Warne? The Aussie may be an aggressive batsman but he is primarily a bowler and has a strike rate of nearly 60. Even his deputy Stuart MacGill is superior in this regard.

Victor Trumper
Virender Sehwag
Viv Richards
Brian Lara
Clem Hill
Adam Gilchrist
Kapil Dev
Malcolm Marshall
Waqar Younis
Shoaib Akhtar
Sydney Barnes
I agree. Shane Warne is actually a defensive bowler as was seen when he was attacked by the Indian barsmen. I must confess I forgot about Syd Barnes. He was really aggressive.

Link

State Vice-Captain
The thread was suposed to be about aggression in relation to attitudes and the players conduct. Therefore Tino best would be the star player, captain and coach

a massive zebra

International Captain
SJS said:
I agree. Shane Warne is actually a defensive bowler as was seen when he was attacked by the Indian barsmen. I must confess I forgot about Syd Barnes. He was really aggressive.
I wouldn't say he was a defensive bowler, my point was there have been many more aggressive bowlers in the past. As you say, when things turn against him he tends to go defensive - as most bowlers would.

In general, however, I would say he is an aggressive bowler, always searching for wickets. But he does not sacrifice accuracy for the possibilty of an unplayable googly or flipper and although there have been many fantastic Warne deliveries in the past he would rather keep the batsman under pressure than bowl the occasional unplayable ball along with many 4 balls a la MacGill.

People like Waqar, Shoaib, Barnes went all out for wickets.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
a massive zebra said:
Because the XI was supposed to be picked on attitude, and Warne is one of the most aggressive players in the world in that regard. He is a master of intimidating batsmen out and playing mindgames with them, and he owes a great deal of his success (especially in recent years with his reduced variation) to that. India are not simply 5 times as good at playing spin as every other country in the world - they had early success against Warne and never allowed him to get on top of them mentally. No other team in the world has managed this.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If your referring to aggressive personalities....I've seen few players in recent years more aggressive than New Zealand's Dion Nash.

Blaze

Banned
SJS said:
Gilchrist
Sehwag
Gayle
Pietersen
Symonds
Afridi
Flintoff
Razzaq
Kemp
Lee
Nell

I would like to fit in Murali somewhere. Spinners dont come more agressive than Murali. I would have put him in the all time team in place of Prasanna maybe.
Take Kemp out for Cairns and then I pretty much agree