• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lara Number one in the world!!!!

Swervy

International Captain
Top 10 Test batsmen
1 Brian Lara (WI) 886 pts
2 Jacques Kallis (SA) 882
3 Rahul Dravid (Ind) 872
4 Ricky Ponting (Aus) 863
5 Virender Sehwag (Ind) 848
6 Damien Martyn (Aus) 836
7 Adam Gilchrist (Aus) 819
8 Inzamam-ul-Haq (Pkn) 794
9 Younis Khan (Pkn) 757
10 Andrew Strauss (Eng) 751

Top 10 Test bowlers
1 Glenn McGrath (Aus) 897 pts
2 Muttiah Muralitharan (SL) 834
3 Shaun Pollock (SA) 812
4 Makhaya Ntini (SA) 801
5 Shoaib Akhtar (Pkn) 786
6 Shane Warne (Aus) 771
7 Anil Kumble (Ind) 766
8 Andre Nel (SA) 759
8 Jason Gillespie (Aus) 739
9 Steve Harmison (Eng) 717

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Two to three years ago people were claiming Lara is past his best. Sachin is in a similar situation. Glad to see Lara show how a genius, some one like Lara and Tendulkar who are exactly that, show geniuses dont just forget how to bat at around an age of 31-32.

Lara had an excellent series vs Sri Lanka around two to three years ago but before and after that he has come through fire, a lot of criticism.

Bravo Brian.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Nice to see Lara back where he belongs. He's the best batsman I have ever had the pleasure to watch in my own lifetime, and among the all-time greats.

Let's hope he can break the 900 point barrier again soon. Speaking of which, McGrath is probably only one good test away from doing that among the bowlers.

Swervy

International Captain
Pratyush said:
Two to three years ago people were claiming Lara is past his best. Sachin is in a similar situation. Glad to see Lara show how a genius, some one like Lara and Tendulkar who are exactly that, show geniuses dont just forget how to bat at around an age of 31-32.

Lara had an excellent series vs Sri Lanka around two to three years ago but before and after that he has come through fire, a lot of criticism.

Bravo Brian.
no, they dont forget how to bat, but anyone watching the two can see that Lara plays pretty much in the same way has he always has done, when Lara was 'struggling' he still had all the hallmarks that branded his game through the good times..Tendulkar just doesnt look like the same player as he did during the good times.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Swervy said:
Tendulkar just doesnt look like the same player as he did during the good times.
Not many players do after an injury lay off. His reaction times havent slowed down though and too much has been made out of Tendulkar's situation.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Nice to see Lara back where he belongs. He's the best batsman I have ever had the pleasure to watch in my own lifetime, and among the all-time greats.

Let's hope he can break the 900 point barrier again soon. Speaking of which, McGrath is probably only one good test away from doing that among the bowlers.
WORD!!!!!!!!!!!

Swervy

International Captain
Pratyush said:
Not many players do after an injury lay off. His reaction times havent slowed down though and too much has been made out of Tendulkar's situation.
he hasnt looked the same player for quite awhile though

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Swervy said:
he hasnt looked the same player for quite awhile though
He has looked the same in some innings like one he made a double in Australia and in a recent ODI in the series vs Pakistan and in Eden Gardens vs Pakistan in the second test of the series.

Swervy

International Captain
Pratyush said:
He has looked the same in some innings like one he made a double in Australia and in a recent ODI in the series vs Pakistan and in Eden Gardens vs Pakistan in the second test of the series.
is that the double where he completely cut out a range of shots and played in a completely un Tendulkar fashion...when talking about whether Tendulkar has past his peak , you need to look beyond the scores and actually look at how he has made the runs(oh and we are talking test cricket here, not ODIs)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Swervy said:
you need to look beyond the scores and actually look at how he has made the runs(oh and we are talking test cricket here, not ODIs)
The inning in Calcutta was Tendulkar batting like the 'old' Tendulkar as you would like to believe before he was given out by Bucknor.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
"Injury Layoff" - missing 2 whole games in the last 2 years? 8-)
He has missed much more than two games in the entire two years. Two tests, a lot of one dayers and a lot of period in the rehab when India havent been playing.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Well done Lara, i think he deserves it, he showed his class. !
though its a close call between Lara and Kallis.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
He has missed much more than two games in the entire two years.
Since this is Tests, he has missed 2 games.

You really need to stop blindly defending him.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
Since this is Tests, he has missed 2 games.

You really need to stop blindly defending him.
One can understand saying some one is different as a player in tests and one dayers but injury lay off should surely not be judged only by x number of tests a player has missed ignoring the one dayers and injury rehab time spent when India havent been playing.

If you think the post tennis elbow come back of Tendulkar isnt big because he has just missed two tests, its you who are acting blind not me in countering my point.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pratyush said:
He has missed much more than two games in the entire two years. Two tests, a lot of one dayers and a lot of period in the rehab when India havent been playing.
Well if you're counting the time India didn't play ODIs, you'd have to qualify the entire Indian team as out of sorts.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Pratyush said:
If you think the post tennis elbow come back of Tendulkar isnt big because he has just missed two tests, its you who are acting blind not me in countering my point.
Admittedly it is all starting to sound a lot like the Graeme Smith guard...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Well if you're counting the time India didn't play ODIs, you'd have to qualify the entire Indian team as out of sorts.
except they werent in rehab like Tendulkar.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Pratyush said:
Admittedly it is all starting to sound a lot like the Graeme Smith guard though...