• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lara Number one in the world!!!!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Admittedly it is all starting to sound a lot like the Graeme Smith guard though...
You may feel what you like on it.

The fact remains Tendulkar has faced the biggest injury of his career and if its scrutinised on his come back whether he is playing like the OLD Tendulkar, it would be unfair as no player after a come back is exspected to perform like his best. The guy has been unfit for a large part, playing through injury on ocassion too.

As I said, too much has been made out of Tendulkar not making runs consistently here.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pratyush said:
You may feel what you like on it.

The fact remains Tendulkar has faced the biggest injury of his career and if its scrutinised on his come back whether he is playing like the OLD Tendulkar, it would be unfair as no player after a come back is exspected to perform like his best. The guy has been unfit for a large part, playing through injury on ocassion too.

As I said, too much has been made out of Tendulkar not making runs consistently here.
About as much as Lara's 3-4 year mortal period in the 90s. I think this only proves further how evenly matched the two are. Currently Lara is in the form of his career and Tendulkar is experiencing an uncertain period as Lara did earlier in the middle period of his career.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
About as much as Lara's 3-4 year mortal period in the 90s. I think this only proves further how evenly matched the two are. Currently Lara is in the form of his career and Tendulkar is experiencing an uncertain period as Lara did earlier in the middle period of his career.
Yep. I am glad you spotted that. :afro:

C_C

International Captain
Ummm

Tendulkar has missed quiete a few games through injury and played a few while not being 100% fit.

Tendulkar is trying to find the old touch... and there certainly have been glimpses of the old tendulkar.... his 55-odd against AUS in Mumbai was precisely that...free flowing tendulkar with glittering strokeplay.
His 50-odd in Kolkata agianst PAK was another example.

However, it is worth mentioning that Lara's slump was considerably longer than Tendulkar's and he did NOT continue to play in the 'same old fashion'.... Lara has cut out a LOT of slashing shots to balls that are full length and he has stopped poking around the offstump that was his prime enemy in the late 90s.

Gilly32

Cricket Spectator
Hi everyone,

My first post here.

Congratulations to Lara on being number 1. I still believe Sachin has been a better batsmen overall but the gap is closing at the moment. Lara like another poster said plays the same way as he always has and Sachin does not. Sachin is playing like a Steve Waugh and Allan Border, grinding out his runs and waiting for deliveries on his pads. I hope he can re capture his best form.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's interesting to note how far down the bowling rankings Harmison has dropped...well, to me anyway. I know he's been out of form of late, but I didn't realise how far down the rankings he would have gone.

Mr Mxyzptlk

C_C said:
However, it is worth mentioning that Lara's slump was considerably longer than Tendulkar's and he did NOT continue to play in the 'same old fashion'.... Lara has cut out a LOT of slashing shots to balls that are full length and he has stopped poking around the offstump that was his prime enemy in the late 90s.
You've not watched Lara in the last two years have you? He still plays them. He just plays them better.

Deja moo

International Captain
Pratyush said:
He has looked the same in some innings like one he made a double in Australia and in a recent ODI in the series vs Pakistan and in Eden Gardens vs Pakistan in the second test of the series.

Get some tapes of that innings. Probaly the most boring and ironically non-dominant innings he has ever played.

masterblaster

International Captain
Deja moo said:
Get some tapes of that innings. Probaly the most boring and ironically non-dominant innings he has ever played.
Agreed it was boring, non-dominant and perhaps one dimensional, but it still ranks as one of the greatest innings I've ever seen him play. Fighting injury, a really poor run of form. You could see him wrestle with his mental demons before every delivery was bowled, and to finish on 248* was special.

Deja moo

International Captain
masterblaster said:
Agreed it was boring, non-dominant and perhaps one dimensional, but it still ranks as one of the greatest innings I've ever seen him play. Fighting injury, a really poor run of form. You could see him wrestle with his mental demons before every delivery was bowled, and to finish on 248* was special.
241* I think.

It might have been special, but was nowhere near being so good as to be quoted as an example of matching his better innings's.

masterblaster

International Captain
Deja moo said:
241* I think.

It might have been special, but was nowhere near being so good as to be quoted as an example of matching his better innings's.
Oops, sorry, might have been 241*, I can't remember :p

But yeah your right, it was special but you can't compare it with one of his 'brutally aggressive' innings. But it shows his genius, that he can make 240 odd runs and not get out whilst batting within himself and wrestling with his own psyche.

That shows true mental character and grit.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
masterblaster said:
I don't think he had any injury worries in that match or series.

Deja moo

International Captain
masterblaster said:
Oops, sorry, might have been 241*, I can't remember :p

But yeah your right, it was special but you can't compare it with one of his 'brutally aggressive' innings. But it shows his genius, that he can make 240 odd runs and not get out whilst batting within himself and wrestling with his own psyche.

That shows true mental character and grit.
.....and that he wasnt at his best. ;)

Top_Cat

I think it's an indicator of just how good Sachin is that a double ton of his can be considered a 'non-dominant' double-ton! :D

That said, he took his time for sure and was very conservative in his shots up until 100 but after that, he was pretty good I thought.

Again, that said, he certainly doesn't look to be anywhere near his best and I don't think he'll ever get back there.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
From a purely entertainment PoV, I think the 178 by Laxman should rank higher than Sachin's 241*. But obviously, it shows how good Sachin is when he can make 241* when he is not in form and is struggling....

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
You've not watched Lara in the last two years have you? He still plays them. He just plays them better.

yeah thats scarey that after all this time hes still getting better and better...sign of a great champion too :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
The fact remains Tendulkar has faced the biggest injury of his career and if its scrutinised on his come back whether he is playing like the OLD Tendulkar, it would be unfair as no player after a come back is exspected to perform like his best.
Interestingly, for the 11 Tests before he missed any through injury, he batted 19 times, and was dismissed in single figures on 11 occasions.

So that's not talking about any sort of "comeback"

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Son Of Coco said:
It's interesting to note how far down the bowling rankings Harmison has dropped...well, to me anyway. I know he's been out of form of late, but I didn't realise how far down the rankings he would have gone.
I think it's to do with the fact that he only really made number 1 because of a boost he received for reaching the full rating qualification limit (100 wickets I think)

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
masterblaster said:
Lets not forget the average bowlers he was facing in that innings as well.