• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes predictions

Who will win the Ashes?

• England

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Australia

Votes: 33 71.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters

12th Man

U19 12th Man
Who will win the Ashes simple as that?

my tip is australia 3-1 (my head)

my tip is england 2-1 (my heart)

but i vote for australia sadly

Swervy

International Captain
12th Man said:
Who will win the Ashes simple as that?

my tip is australia 3-1 (my head)

my tip is england 2-1 (my heart)

but i vote for australia sadly
is there really any point in this poll..I would be shocked if ANYONE would pick anything other than an Australian series win.

Why not alter the poll to break it down into what score the end series result will be!!!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Swervy said:
is there really any point in this poll..I would be shocked if ANYONE would pick anything other than an Australian series win.

Why not alter the poll to break it down into what score the end series result will be!!!
Voting England just to spite you ;)

In all seriousness, 3-1 Australia.

Link

State Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Voting England just to spite you ;)

In all seriousness, 3-1 Australia.
i get offended every time i see things like this. no one is backing the english, not even ourselves. well apart from me. Furthermore poeple are taking us for joke.
loyalty for you

Swervy

International Captain
Link said:
i get offended every time i see things like this. no one is backing the english, not even ourselves. well apart from me. Furthermore poeple are taking us for joke.
loyalty for you
its not a case of loyalty..I am sure 95% of the members of the Barmy Army will think Australia will win, and yet still shout big time for England..its just being realistic

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
the barmy army will put up a valiant effort, that is all that needs to be said on the matter, i will abstain from this poll in order not to jinx englands chances :ph34r:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Link said:
loyalty for you
It's like City at Old Trafford. Just a little less unlikely.

Believing it can happen, and thinking it will happen are two different things.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Our batting looks strong, but I do not believe England have the bowlers to bowl Australia out twice.

Flintoff - a decent enough stock bowler who will consistently do a job but rarely runs through sides.

Hoggard - England's best bowler in the form of his life who bowls a steady line at decent pace and has the ability to swing the ball both ways.

Harmison - an outrageously overrated bowler with severe mental frailties who seems unable to adapt his bowling to the circumstances and prays on weaker teams.

Giles - a mediocre Test bowler who remains very reliant on spinning wickets, and cannot be expected to cause Australia much trouble.

Jones/Anderson - very wayward bowlers who struggle for a consistent line and length and will be destroyed by Australia.

With just two good bowlers we cannot be expected to win a match, but our good batting lineup should prevent a whitewash.

My Prediction: Australia 3-0 England

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
a massive zebra said:
Our batting looks strong, but I do not believe England have the bowlers to bowl Australia out twice.

Flintoff - a decent enough stock bowler who will consistently do a job but rarely runs through sides.

Hoggard - England's best bowler in the form of his life who bowls a steady line at decent pace and has the ability to swing the ball both ways.

Harmison - an outrageously overated bowler with severe mental frailties who seems unable to adapt his bowling to the circumstances and prays on weaker teams.

Giles - a mediocre Test bowler who remains very reliant on spinning wickets, and cannot be expected to cause Australia much trouble.

Jones/Anderson - very wayward bowlers who struggle for a consistent line and length and will be destroyed by Australia.

With just two good bowlers we cannot be expected to win a match, but our good batting lineup should prevent a whitewash.

Mostly complete tosh there, also a whitewash is any series where you win and your opponent fails to score - that includes 3-0.

Swervy

International Captain
a massive zebra said:

Harmison - an outrageously overrated bowler with severe mental frailties who seems unable to adapt his bowling to the circumstances and prays on weaker teams.

I think you have completely under valued the English bowling attack there

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
People who have predicted an English victory so far - 4

On the English attack, they are quite capable of taking 20 Australian wickets.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
a massive zebra said:
Anderson is probably the only you've gotten right, Giles will cause Australia problems whether he's on a spinning wicket or not. Jones is fairly consistent tho unfortunately he just doesn't move the ball one iota a lot of the time. Harmison did very well against NZ who are not one of the 'weaker teams' and basically has been written off by a large crowd of idiots because he lost his form when he hadn't played for months, I don't see how that makes him outrageously overrated. Flintoff has started to run through sides lately and is far more than a "decent enough stock bowler" - him and Harmison are England's best bowlers.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Scaly piscine said:
Giles will cause Australia problems whether he's on a spinning wicket or not.
If that is true then why does he not cause any other team problems, even Bangladesh, when the wicket does not suit him?

Scaly piscine said:
Jones is fairly consistent tho unfortunately he just doesn't move the ball one iota a lot of the time. .
Last 8 matches

38 3 129 4 3.39 W 1st Test v Ind in Eng 2002 at Lord's [1610]
7 0 32 1 4.57 L 1st Test v Aus in Aus 2002/03 at Brisbane [1623]
22 3 72 3 3.27 W 1st Test v WI in WI 2003/04 at Kingston [1687]
27 4 101 6 3.74 W 2nd Test v WI in WI 2003/04 at Port of Spain [1690]
16 1 55 1 3.44 W 3rd Test v WI in WI 2003/04 at Bridgetown [1694]
29 0 146 1 5.03 D 4th Test v WI in WI 2003/04 at St John's [1696]

46 13 146 4 3.17 W 1st Test v NZ in Eng 2004 at Lord's [1700]
25 6 99 1 3.96 W 1st Test v WI in Eng 2004 at Lord's [1707]

We have 1 very good match, 3 acceptable matches and 4 poor ones. Clearly not consistent, although I never mentioned anything about consistency. I said he struggles for a consistent line and length - proven by the economy rates, and as anyone who had actually watched him would see.

Scaly piscine said:
Harmison did very well against NZ who are not one of the 'weaker teams' and basically has been written off by a large crowd of idiots because he lost his form when he hadn't played for months,.
.......................................... M ...O .......R .W .Avge ..BB 5wi 10wm
Harmison vs Top 6 Teams .....14 420.4 1647 32 51.46 4/33 - -
Harmison vs Bottom 3 Teams 11 458.1 1071 58 18.46 7/12 4 -

Says it all really.

Scaly piscine said:
Flintoff has started to run through sides lately and is far more than a "decent enough stock bowler"
One 5 wicket haul in 45 matches proves otherwise.

Last edited:

Natman20

International Debutant
To be honest I don't think it will be close at all. England may have a few individual performances but Australia should win.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
a lot of ppl seem to think it will go 3-1, but if we think really hard i dont see a drawn test match occuring it all 5 days are played. So i will have to say 4-1 could be the likely outcome

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Giles, Trescothick and Harmison all have good series', 2-2.

Otherwise, 3-1 with one close Test to go Australia's way rather than England's.