• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

batsmen in modern times (since helmets) who never worn helmets??

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I may stand to be corrected but the only 2 i can think of since helmets were introduced to never wear one were..

Viv Richards and Richie Richardson. Can't think of anyone else.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
zinzan12 said:
I may stand to be corrected but the only 2 i can think of since helmets were introduced to never wear one were..

Viv Richards and Richie Richardson. Can't think of anyone else.
Shane Warne didnt in the 90s for a lot of time. He used to bat with a floppy hat to the spinners.

deeps

International 12th Man
mee! hehehe, i tend to get out the moment i put my helmet on so i rarely wear it now

_Ed_

The UAE batsman in the 1996 World Cup (can't remember his name...) who faced Allan Donald wearing a floppy hat. And retired hurt not long afterwards. Floppy hat facing Donald...what a legend.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
amiller said:
What about batsmen who use helmets without grills? Matt Horne comes to mind.
allan border, matthew elliott used to not.

i remember one boxing day (about 96 i reckon) when curtly and courtney were in their prime and ponting came out in a baggy hat to them and hooked and pulled like a madman.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
_Ed_ said:
The UAE batsman in the 1996 World Cup (can't remember his name...) who faced Allan Donald wearing a floppy hat. And retired hurt not long afterwards. Floppy hat facing Donald...what a legend.
"Sultan Zarawani captained the UAE side during their brief participation in the 1996 World Cup. He was the only native-born player, with almost all his team-mates being recently-imported immigrants. A legspinner and middle-order batsman, he learned the basics of the game while at school in Pakistan and went on to lead the UAE to 12 straight victories in the ICC Trophy, ensuring their qualification for the World Cup. He is best remembered for going out to face a rampant Allan Donald wearing only a sunhat. An unimpressed Donald dug one in, and sure enough, scored a direct hit on Zarawani’s head – he survived the blow but lasted just another eight balls. As a cricketer, Zarawani was in over his head, but he probably didn’t mind too much. A wealthy man, he was probably the only player in the tournament to own more than a dozen expensive cars." Cricinfo profile

anzac

International Debutant
I remember Ken Rutherford getting a top edge into his face trying to pull a ball on a ENG Tour..............he wasn't wearing a helmet then but not sure if it was a regular thing or not.........

Top_Cat

i remember one boxing day (about 96 i reckon) when curtly and courtney were in their prime and ponting came out in a baggy hat to them and hooked and pulled like a madman.
I've got highlights of that match (it was the 'Gabba because Ponting was dropped for Langer in the Boxing Day Test) and that in addition to what I remember, at no stage was Ponting without a helmet. Certainly not in the highlights. To be honest, I can scarcely remember a time where he has been without one. Mark Waugh seemed to be of a similar ilk; rarely took his helmet off even when the spinners were on.

Link

State Vice-Captain
Oh yeah, in hayden's innings of 380, i think he got bored with the zimbabwean pace attack and thought he would try and make batting harder so he batted on with his hat. I supose this is not too hard when your fastest bowler is andy blignaut

Chubb

International Regular
Didn't Jonty Rhodes were a helmet without a grill and get knocked unconcious by Malcolm back in 94?

Langeveldt

Soutie
I don't usually where a helmet, unless we have quick bowlers against us.. Bat in a floppy sunhat or the school cap.. I'm the only under 19 year old who doesn't that I know of though...

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
amiller said:
What about batsmen who use helmets without grills? Matt Horne comes to mind.
Jimmy Adams and Graeme Gooch in most of the highlights that i see of them are wearing helmets without a grill.

i also remember that David Hookes wore one of them as well [first match back after getting one in the face from W Indian Roberts, huuhh some guy.]

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
I don't usually where a helmet, unless we have quick bowlers against us.. Bat in a floppy sunhat or the school cap.. I'm the only under 19 year old who doesn't that I know of though...
The first delivery i ever faced from a hard cricket ball in a cricket match, hit me on the head. [and, i was wearing a helmet]. Since then, i have made a little pact with my head to always wear a helmet evn if i am facing ESO [extra slow offspin, like some of the balls Vaughan bowled to Pollock in the last series]