• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

MCC raise concerns about McGrath's studs

vvk

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Quote:

Even more fuel might have been added to the ongoing debate regarding Australian cricketers using illegal equipment with the latest concerns expressed by the MCC. Close up images of Australian pace bowler Glenn McGrath's shoes have led to question marks being raised over the legality of the champion fast bowler's studs.

McGrath changed his bowling boots for a lighter set during the Australian tour to India last year, but it was not documented that the new boots had studs that were several millimeters longer than conventional studs on bowling boots, with titanium tips to strengthen the spikes and increase their hardness. The MCC are expressing concerns that this may provide additional benefit for the Australian team, due to tour England in June for the NatWest Series and the Ashes test series, with the English wickets possibly being roughed up by the longer and stronger spikes on McGrath's boots.

It is to be determined whether any laws are even being broken by this, but the MCC are upset that McGrath's new spikes contravene the Spirit of the game, and there are worries that with Stuart MacGill and Shane Warne both in the Ashes touring party, the strengthened spikes might damage the wickets enough to provide the spinners with additional assistance.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
MCC express doubts over McGrath's legitimacy

From this week's Duck Times

It has been brought to our attention that a number of officials within the MCC are more than a little unhappy over certain aspects of Glenn McGrath's background and behaviour which have cast a shadow over the whole Ashes tour..

Our correspondent has been told by anonymous sources within the upper echelons of Lord's (Lord Farquington-Smythe) that he is "...most unhappy about the whole affair. The man's not even a proper Australian. We have been through his history and he has NEVER ONCE had a job serving drinks at a London bar.

"Furthermore, the MCC Misdemeanours and Sledging Committee have been investigating the number of complaints surrounding McGrath's behaviour emanating from the recent tour of New Zealand. The committee have painstakingly watched the whole sordid affair and they are far from happy with what they saw.

"Take the very first over of the first test match. McGrath bowled a ball which was at least a foot away from... coming"

I asked him whether he meant 'Cumming', the dreadfully poor Timaru sheep-farmer who plays for Otago.

"No, I said 'coming'. Bunty asked me whether I was joining him for a Pimm's. Anyway, there was an appeal which was described as 'half-hearted' which the umpire quite correctly turned down - and it was received with a smile. No histrionics, no swearing. Does that sound like McGrath to you?"

I pointed out that the bowler was, in fact, Jason Gillespie who tends to be a little more circumspect, much preferring the letting down of tyres after the game.

"Anyway, that's not the point. The Eligibility Committee (Feisty Antipodeans) have been through McGrath's family history, tracing his entire geneology back to 1861 when his great-great-great-grandmother, a simple crofter's daughter and part-time mud-wrestler named Kitty O'Shea from Drumcondra escaped the terrible Potato Famine by working her passage as a Mainbrace-Splicer on one of Her Majesty Queen Victoria's (God Bless Her) proud vessels heading for the Penal Colony at Botany Bay.

"No criminal record to be found amongst the lot of them - not even a parking ticket. Furthermore, his parents were married. What more proof do you want?"

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
you forget the part about how the australian cricketers whites are 2 shades less than the normal standard white which can sometimes harm the oppositions eyes

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
vvk said:
Quote:

Even more fuel might have been added to the ongoing debate regarding Australian cricketers using illegal equipment with the latest concerns expressed by the MCC. Close up images of Australian pace bowler Glenn McGrath's shoes have led to question marks being raised over the legality of the champion fast bowler's studs.

McGrath changed his bowling boots for a lighter set during the Australian tour to India last year, but it was not documented that the new boots had studs that were several millimeters longer than conventional studs on bowling boots, with titanium tips to strengthen the spikes and increase their hardness. The MCC are expressing concerns that this may provide additional benefit for the Australian team, due to tour England in June for the NatWest Series and the Ashes test series, with the English wickets possibly being roughed up by the longer and stronger spikes on McGrath's boots.

It is to be determined whether any laws are even being broken by this, but the MCC are upset that McGrath's new spikes contravene the Spirit of the game, and there are worries that with Stuart MacGill and Shane Warne both in the Ashes touring party, the strengthened spikes might damage the wickets enough to provide the spinners with additional assistance.
Whinge, whinge, whinge. Dean Jones proved years ago that mind games concerning equipment don't work. I suppose Andrew Symonds' lip cream makes him look more feminine, creating desire in English players and thus putting them off their game? 8-)

Pathetic.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
LongHopCassidy said:
Whinge, whinge, whinge. Dean Jones proved years ago that mind games concerning equipment don't work. I suppose Andrew Symonds' lip cream makes him look more feminine, creating desire in English players and thus putting them off their game? 8-)

Pathetic.
Good point, ill make sure the relavent authorities are notified so that we can sort out this pigment parade once and for all :p

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
LongHopCassidy said:

Pathetic.
Is it true that the Australian press is as pathetic as ours in England, and the Australian public as quick to raise protests of indignation at the skullduggery of the other side?

In short, are you as a nation as pathetic as us?

Oh, yes - and long may it continue.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
My left fibula. Any toddler can tell you the difference between (cod)swaddling and a (cods)wallop! :D

Last edited:

Josh

International Regular
Soon they'll be complaining that Michael Clarke's hairdo is "not in the spirit of cricket"

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
It's truly embarrasing from an English perspective, Absolute hogwash. Next thing they might be complaing about is Gilchrist's brutal run rate is outside the spirit in which Test cricket should be played. I have not been so dissapointed by English tripe since Anderson's appearance in the saffie series