• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dasa said:
It didn't. Just testing Scallywag, as I'd say he would have a very different opinion if Warne was not an Aussie.
Cant imagine why he should or why anyone particularly cares.

A ridiculously high percentage of men are unfaithful to their partners, nationality or profession doesnt come into it.

In any event, gotta love Shane for taking some of the headlines away from our misfiring players. Way to take one for the team, Warnie!

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
SirBloody Idiot said:
I have to ask, why do people believe the girl?
...because her claims are not something that unusual. Add that Warne isn't a saint and her claims become somewhat believable.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Dasa said:
...because her claims are not something that unusual. Add that Warne isn't a saint and her claims become somewhat believable.
It isn't also the first time people have tried to pull a stunt against Warne before.

He isn't perfect, but isn't it convenient for her to come out just before the Ashes to the bloody tabloids.

Scallywag

Banned
Dasa said:
I wonder how differend your reaction would be were the player Indian?
So you are after my opinion.

I couldent give a toss what the Indian players do off the field.

Just like I dont care what Akhtar does in his spare time.

andyc

Behlol said:
i think we should not talk on this issue on the forums
if you mean the whole race issue, i agree. if your talking about shane warne having *** with some other women, then i disagree, as it does have bearing on cricket and especially the ashes. even though its not true

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Getting back on topic for a moment, what do people think the chance of Lee starting at Lord's is now?

With Kasprowicz out of form, if Lee has a decent NWS and Kasper doesn't improve, one would have to say the chances are pretty good. Lee got fairly close to selection in New Zealand, but didn't get picked because there hadn't been any problems with the Australian bowling attack. If the current woes continue, however...

I maintain, as then, that it would probably improve the Australian bowling attack as a unit to have Lee in it, because it does look a bit one-dimensional at times. I do think the selectors missed the boat a bit by not picking him in the first test in New Zealand, but if Australia do continue to struggle throughout the NWS he would have to be seriously considered once more.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
It's yet to be seen whether Lee is in form or not. He hasn't played in a while, just like the rest of the team. I still doubt he'd get in ahead of Kasprowicz.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Dasa said:
It's yet to be seen whether Lee is in form or not. He hasn't played in a while, just like the rest of the team. I still doubt he'd get in ahead of Kasprowicz.
Yeah, I'm assuming he has a good NWS here. Question is mainly whether or not Kasprowicz might be dropped based on the back of poor ODI performances alone and Lee included on the back of good performances in the same format, or if the selectors will keep the test and ODI squads totally seperate.

howardj

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Getting back on topic for a moment, what do people think the chance of Lee starting at Lord's is now?

With Kasprowicz out of form, if Lee has a decent NWS and Kasper doesn't improve, one would have to say the chances are pretty good. Lee got fairly close to selection in New Zealand, but didn't get picked because there hadn't been any problems with the Australian bowling attack. If the current woes continue, however...

I maintain, as then, that it would probably improve the Australian bowling attack as a unit to have Lee in it, because it does look a bit one-dimensional at times. I do think the selectors missed the boat a bit by not picking him in the first test in New Zealand, but if Australia do continue to struggle throughout the NWS he would have to be seriously considered once more.
Lee will not get a game at Lords. It's quite clear that selectors make a distinction between bowling in ODI's - where Lee's short, aggressive bursts are effective - and bowling in Test Matches - where Kaspa's economy rate helps maintain the pressure created by McGrath and Warne. The selectors are not going to change the Test attack that has served them so magnificently since the tour of Sri Lanka in 2004, unless Australia's Test Match performances start to decline, or Kaspa actually starts to have poor Tests - as distinct from the solid Tests that he had in NZ

Last edited:

andyc

lee definitely won't play the first test. if, however, lee has a good nws and kasper doesn't, and then kasper doesn't perform well in the first test, lee might get a shot.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
social said:
Way to take one for the team, Warnie!
I didn't know his bread was buttered that side up.

News of the Screws headline "Warney Wants Big Merv's Love Child" in 5....4....3....

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
SirBloody Idiot said:
It isn't also the first time people have tried to pull a stunt against Warne before.

He isn't perfect, but isn't it convenient for her to come out just before the Ashes to the bloody tabloids.
Yay!!! First conspiracy theory of 2005.

Shock Horror Probe.....

Horny Warnie Bonking Bint story a devious MCC plot to bring The Ashes home - by Hugh G Lee-Farfetched...

Time for DD to get to work, I reckon.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scallywag said:
So you are after my opinion.

I couldent give a toss what the Indian players do off the field.

Just like I dont care what Akhtar does in his spare time.
Hear hear, well spoken Scally. It's none of our business.

<quack> Speak for yourself

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
or Kaspa actually starts to have poor Tests - as distinct from the solid Tests that he had in NZ
Solid is being pretty nice to him in NZ, I think. He wasn't shocking, but he was ordinary. He had one good spell, and other than that looked unpenetrative and averaged 40 odd for the series.

Regardless, I think the selectors have shown before that they don't keep ODIs and tests completely seperate. My personal feeling is that if Kasprowicz continues to get absolutely pasted in the ODIs and Lee bowls really well, they'll pick Lee. If their performances aren't too far apart however and Kasprowicz looks at least competent, they will stay with him.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Dasa said:
It didn't. Just testing Scallywag, as I'd say he would have a very different opinion if Warne was not an Aussie.
Regardless of if he does or not, that is not an issue in this thread.

howardj

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Solid is being pretty nice to him in NZ, I think. He wasn't shocking, but he was ordinary. He had one good spell, and other than that looked unpenetrative and averaged 40 odd for the series.

Regardless, I think the selectors have shown before that they don't keep ODIs and tests completely seperate. My personal feeling is that if Kasprowicz continues to get absolutely pasted in the ODIs and Lee bowls really well, they'll pick Lee. If their performances aren't too far apart however and Kasprowicz looks at least competent, they will stay with him.
Yeah but Kaspa kept the pressure on in NZ mate. See, with our current Test attack, I reckon we take wickets through good deliveries and the pressure exerted on the batsman by drying up the runs. If you introduce Lee into the Team, then that second way of taking wickets - drying up the runs - is no longer there.

social

FaaipDeOiad said:

Given the way that Kaspa bowled in NZ and the way that both he and Gillespie have performed in England, place in first test should go to whomever is in better form during ODIs. In that regard, Lee is in pole for one spot by default.

I maintain that the Australian pace attack looks too one-dimensional at the moment. They are all fine bowlers but similar in pace, stature and approach. IMO, we need the variety that either Lee's pace or Macgill's spin brings.

I would also consider playing Watson, subject to form, as it is a big ask for 4 30-something bowlers to coninue bearing the entire load.

Last edited: