• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

PY

International Coach
Top_Cat said:
I don't see how English fans could take too much heart from this result; strictly, yes it was a local side but it wasn't locals nor low-standard players who did the damage (quite the contrary).
As you say, I don't think that English fans will take anything particularly from this result in itself, but mix in the way that they occurred and it kind of adds up.

Say that the 20/20 was worth 75% of a reason to be optimistic then today would have been 25% of a reason. Add them up....(excuse me a second)......100% of a reason to optimistic about the way Australia are doing.

I don't put any kind of meaning on these results for the Tests though having said that because the Aussies could hit their straps and pulverise either us or Bangladesh in the ODIs and this little hiccup will evaporate into the stormy skies above England and we're back to sqaure one.

EnglishRose

School Boy/Girl Captain
I wouldn't worry about the losses Australia have suffered so far.

When it comes to the real thing, the Natwest matches and the Ashes they will thrash the overrated English team. :D :D :D

Marc and tooextrafool will cry then :p :p

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As you say, I don't think that English fans will take anything particularly from this result in itself, but mix in the way that they occurred and it kind of adds up.

Say that the 20/20 was worth 75% of a reason to be optimistic then today would have been 25% of a reason. Add them up....(excuse me a second)......100% of a reason to optimistic about the way Australia are doing.
I understand what you're saying but realistically, the batsmen DID hit their straps (342 off 50 overs with two of those batsmen retiring early). At this stage, it's only a couple of players who've struggled so far (barring the 20/20); Kasper is yet to get into a groove as is Lee. The batsmen have had decent hits (Clarke and Katich being exceptions) and already McGrath is into it. Gillespie is still an unknown quantity and Warne has been playing for Hampshire so he's at match fitness.

Even that taken into account, however, the Aussies would not have enjoyed losing these matches and I'd suggest Rick Ponting would be mighty mad. But yeah as I said, individually, a lot of the Aussies have hit their straps but collectively, they're yet to fire together. I guess they're hoping it'll come in the next couple of matches.

Slow Love™

International Captain
PY said:

I find your new-found faith disturbing.

shaka

International Regular
I would hate to be Australia's next opponents after two embarrasing losses in England, and i think it is Bangladesh who have not scored more than 200 in an ODI against OZ.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
How will one not in the squad be in consideration?
Well that's the point - they need to fly him in. If Lee can't play, then McGrath, Gillespie and Hogg will have to play every match, with Kasprowicz and Watson presumably sharing the fourth bowling spot. With Kasprowicz in this sort of form, they will need to bring Tait in. The injury probably isn't serious enough to warrant that though, I was just saying, if Lee was out of the series altogether...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Bringing in Tait for the ODI is would be a bit risky for me. If Lee's injury is serious but it doesn't seem so, i would fly in Bracken instead of Tait

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
nah i reakon they would just let him rest there is enough cover with ethe other 3, and Watson and Hoggy - you never know though, maybe Warne will get a recall?

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
age_master said:
nah i reakon they would just let him rest there is enough cover with ethe other 3, and Watson and Hoggy - you never know though, maybe Warne will get a recall?
Generally the protocol when a player is rule out of a series is to call up a replacement, don't see why this should be any different. I don't think Lee will be out of the series though, so this is purely speculative.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well that's the point - they need to fly him in. If Lee can't play, then McGrath, Gillespie and Hogg will have to play every match, with Kasprowicz and Watson presumably sharing the fourth bowling spot. With Kasprowicz in this sort of form, they will need to bring Tait in. The injury probably isn't serious enough to warrant that though, I was just saying, if Lee was out of the series altogether...
For one, it's far too early to say that Kasper is out of form. I mean, we're talking one game where he got belted. I'd say it's too early to say he's in any sort of form at all, really. It's hardly panic stations that Kasper got taken to in a minor game.

And why on Earth would Kasper and Watson share a fourth bowling spot? In the ODI's, it's likely to be Gillespie and McGrath (in Lee's absence) to share the new-ball, Kasper 1st change and Watson/Hogg to bowl fourth. Kasper may be under-done but in Tests he's still third seamer and in ODI's similarly int he absence of Lee.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:
The batsmen have had decent hits (Clarke and Katich being exceptions) and already McGrath is into it.
Clarke made a blistering 50-odd yesterday, so I think he's certainly had a decent hit. The main concern is surely the bowling at this point, especially if Lee is carrying some sort of injury.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Top_Cat said:
For one, it's far too early to say that Kasper is out of form. I mean, we're talking one game where he got belted. I'd say it's too early to say he's in any sort of form at all, really. It's hardly panic stations that Kasper got taken to in a minor game.

And why on Earth would Kasper and Watson share a fourth bowling spot? In the ODI's, it's likely to be Gillespie and McGrath (in Lee's absence) to share the new-ball, Kasper 1st change and Watson/Hogg to bowl fourth. Kasper may be under-done but in Tests he's still third seamer and in ODI's similarly int he absence of Lee.
I don't mean that Kasprowicz will bowl fourth, just that he will be the fourth picked at the moment. I realise one game is hardly indicative of form, but the point of the post was to say that, if it so happens that he is out of form and Lee can't play, Australia will have some problems without Tait (or someone) as backup.

BARMY_LAD

Cricket Spectator
I keep hearing that Australia wont take too much away from losing their last two matches (Twenty/20 and 50 over game v Somerset)... but at the end of the day it just goes to prove that you should NEVER underestimate your opponent, be it an International side or a domestic side. The Aussies didnt go to either game wanting to lose... they would have wanted to come back from the tour undefeated! I believe it shows a bit of ****yness on Australia's behalf to have the batsman 'retired OUT', (even if they wanted to give their batsmen some practice before the 'real games') I would love to be a fly on the wall in the Aussies de-briefing room.

Not in good form the Aussies as of late... losing in boxing (both Kosta Tsu and anthony mundine) and football (v Germany 3-2.... granted thats still good for the aussies)... could this be an omen??

With Australia playing Bangladesh on Saturday it should give them some-what of a moral boost................ if they win :D

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
BARMY_LAD said:
I keep hearing that Australia wont take too much away from losing their last two matches (Twenty/20 and 50 over game v Somerset)... but at the end of the day it just goes to prove that you should NEVER underestimate your opponent, be it an International side or a domestic side. The Aussies didnt go to either game wanting to lose... they would have wanted to come back from the tour undefeated! I believe it shows a bit of ****yness on Australia's behalf to have the batsman 'retired OUT', (even if they wanted to give their batsmen some practice before the 'real games') I would love to be a fly on the wall in the Aussies de-briefing room.

Not in good form the Aussies as of late... losing in boxing (both Kosta Tsu and anthony mundine) and football (v Germany 3-2.... granted thats still good for the aussies)... could this be an omen??

With Australia playing Bangladesh on Saturday it should give them some-what of a moral boost................ if they win :D
I don't see how retiring the batsmen shows ****iness at all... the batsmen who replaced them scored just as quickly anyway. In any case you would expect your bowlers to to defend 342 regardless of the opposition; it was hardly ****y to expect that 342 would be enough. The bowlers simply didn't bowl well enough, and the Somerset batsmen clearly batted well enough.

I don't think boxing and football are going to have much of an impact on this series.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
the ausssies weren't ****y nor did they underestimate Somerset, they got what they wanted out of the game on an individual standpoint but has was shown by Ponting's post match reaction they are definately disappointed by the result.

Has Top cat said its was two major international players, none of the somerset players did any damage to them

BARMY_LAD

Cricket Spectator
:D Thought I would get a verbal hiding for that one!
I'm just sick of hearing that the Aussies are going to trample us in the Test series, when clearly it shows that we have won our last Twenty/20 game, ODI and Test Match against the Aussies. If Australia lose to Bangladesh -highly unlikely- I can assure you that you will never hear the end of it!