• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
The comments have apparently been made by brother and manager Jason Warne. Warne said he is to get back to his brother and has not spoken to him in the past seven days.

The reality behind the story is not completely clear. Specially on the face of remarks made by Warne.
So why immediately blame the British for it then?

12th Man

U19 12th Man
Pratyush said:
The comments have apparently been made by brother and manager Jason Warne. Warne said he is to get back to his brother and has not spoken to him in the past seven days.

The reality behind the story is not completely clear. Specially on the face of remarks made by Warne.

load of rubbish really,this stroy

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pratyush said:

Warne had had some bad publicity about the sledging, so his manager decided to put a possible retirement story to the media, the ate it up, meaning the bad story is forgotten about.

Dydl

International Debutant
It's always Warne isn't it?? I mean if someone had done the same thing in Australian grade cricket, the media wouldn't have made a deal about it. If it was Stuart MacGill playing for Sydney Uni against Randwick Petersham and MacGill acted like Warne did, no-one would make a big deal about it.

Like Warne said somewhere, he would like to be able to lead his life without being on the back cover for every mistake he makes in life and not be pounced on by the media He also said that unfortunately his life would never be like that.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Dydl said:
Like Warne said somewhere, he would like to be able to lead his life without being on the back cover for every mistake he makes in life and not be pounced on by the media He also said that unfortunately his life would never be like that.
Can't really blame the media. He's brought attention on himself through his actions over the years, and now they'll be watching his every move..it's just the media doing what they do...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
So why immediately blame the British for it then?
I havent immediately blamed the British. I have ended it with a 'question mark' which shows it is merely speculation.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
wpdavid said:
Had Croft retired from test cricket by 2002/03? I know that he has done at least twice, but the exact dates escape me.

As for the India tour, I'd be very surprised if Dawson and Croft were originally in the squad as well as Giles. I can't remember any other Asian tour recently when we've taken more than two spinners.
I really don't know where this Croft-has-retired-twice comes from. Unless he retired before 1998, he certainly hasn't.
As far as I can see many people seem to have mistaken his pulling-out of the 2001\02 India tour because his wife got hysterical about him visiting a place a few hundred miles from the warring Afghanistan as a retirement.
And yes, all 3 were originally in the squad for India, see here. As tec has pointed-out, Giles was certainly injured and missed The First Test because of it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
giles was in the squad, but he was still not fully fit from his Achilles injury and even missed the first test in india. they picked 2 off spinners in richard dawson and martin ball, both of whom were horrible.
Ball was called in to replace Croft when his wife made him pull-out, and is certainly a better bowler than Dawson.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
vic_orthdox said:
Ashley Giles. Against so many teams, he churns out overs, building pressure from one end. Historically, Australia does not let that happen. If Australia get on top of hiim, and take him "downtown", suddenly a lot more pressure is put on England's fourth seamer, Jones/Anderson/whoever, who is yet to be proven and will also be targetted.
Giles has been got after of times. Only, of course, on non-turners; you go after Giles on a turner, especially when you're as poor against spin as so many of the Australians are, you'll pay for it most likely sooner rather than later.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
age_master said:
Hope Collingwood plays, i remember that ODI hundred he got in perth, definatley has a good attitude, will hopefully play alot more for England
Hopefully he won't play too many more ODIs, and certainly I'd imagine he'll not get anywhere near the Test-team in the immidate future.
Thank God.

Link

State Vice-Captain
Richard said:
Hopefully he won't play too many more ODIs, and certainly I'd imagine he'll not get anywhere near the Test-team in the immidate future.
Thank God.
'thank god he's not in the team' :-O . to win ODI matches you need a balance of players, some players get rewarded more for their more apparent roles. Collingwood's role is to play around the big hitters and rotate the strike. I can’t remember how many times ive seen him come in and rotate the strike without wasting too many balls. his average probably does not pay testament to his ability because when he comes in, he has to sacrifice his wicket.

Scaly piscine

Link said:
'thank god he's not in the team' :-O . to win ODI matches you need a balance of players, some players get rewarded more for their more apparent roles. Collingwood's role is to play around the big hitters and rotate the strike. I can’t remember how many times ive seen him come in and rotate the strike without wasting too many balls. his average probably does not pay testament to his ability because when he comes in, he has to sacrifice his wicket.
As I keep saying the fact that Motson and tooextracool dislike Collingwood means he has to be a worthy addition to the team.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
I really don't know where this Croft-has-retired-twice comes from. Unless he retired before 1998, he certainly hasn't.
As far as I can see many people seem to have mistaken his pulling-out of the 2001\02 India tour because his wife got hysterical about him visiting a place a few hundred miles from the warring Afghanistan as a retirement.
IIRC Croft's first retirement was after he wasn't selected to tour Pakistan in 2000, but he was talked out of it when Salisbury was such a disaster and subsequently went to SL.

EDIT
Yup, the Cricinfo overview of his career says much the same. And then he retired for a second time after not getting a game in 2003/04. India in 2001/02 had nothing to do with it.

Last edited:

Link

State Vice-Captain
interesting point, and for that matter of course he is valuable, hell i might have to find space in my signiture, someone has to show some apperciation.

Cape Town 2003, England v Pakistan...... Anderson yes..... but also Collingwood we are indebted to you great knock, kept us in the game

BoyBrumby

Englishman
wpdavid said:
IIRC Croft's first retirement was after he wasn't selected to tour Pakistan in 2000, but he was talked out of it when Salisbury was such a disaster and subsequently went to SL.

EDIT
Yup, the Cricinfo overview of his career says much the same. And then he retired for a second time after not getting a game in 2003/04. India in 2001/02 had nothing to do with it.
Hmmm. Both scenarios a bit toys/pram...

Mister Wright

Richard said:
Giles has been got after of times. Only, of course, on non-turners; you go after Giles on a turner, especially when you're as poor against spin as so many of the Australians are, you'll pay for it most likely sooner rather than later.
Name the Australian batsman who are poor against spin...