• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
jlo33692 said:
i hope the ashes lives u[ to expectations but i cant help thinking that england are not just playing a good side that has only lost 1 series in the last 20 years ( 2-1 ) v india in india but they are perhaps playing the best cricket side that has ever played the game...
I've heard of exaggerations, but it's actually 14 series, not 1.

jlo33692 said:
its a tall order to ask the 3rd or 4th ranked team in the world to beat them when the other teams could not do it.
3rd or 4th? What planet are you on?

jlo33692 said:
Does anyone then think that they would be able to beat the Aus in Aus over 5 tests? that is the true test of a great team..
Not really, what people do think though is that they will win a Test.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
FaaipDeOiad said:
So, you think Bangladesh will make the final then?

Anyway, my tips:

20/20: Australia
NWS: Australia 7-0, England 3-4, Bangladesh 0-6.
NWC: Australia 2-1
Ashes: Australia 3-1
I seriously didn't consider Bangla games , cos they may win one game out of their 6 - but thats all Bangla can do at best .

So you think there will be one drawn Test like I do !! :D We have something in common then !! :D 3-1 could easily be 2-2 if a close Test finishes in Englands favour in a Nail biter !! :p

I predict (and wish that would be the 5th and final Test !! :D )

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
jlo33692 said:
does anyone else have any other way to be dismissed please????? 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Chinned out.

This unusual method of dismissal only occurs when Pakistan are involved in a match, and (usually but not always) involves a not-out batsman taking the last choccy cake when Inzamam wants it (lunch or tea interval, or even mid-session drinks).

I say usually because it could be cup cake, biccy, pie, dumpling or suet pudding (with or without custard) but never celary, raw carrot, piece of lettuce or milk shake.

(I lied about the milk shake)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
I've heard of exaggerations, but it's actually 14 series, not 1.
Indeed. It's not like Australia's period of dominance needs exxageration!

Since the 1992/93 series against the West Indies, Australia hasn't lost a series outside of the subcontinent, where they have lost five... three of them to India. Since the 1999 loss to Sri Lanka (so it's 6 years, not 20), Australia has lost one series, drawn two and won all others.

More remarkable, and certainly unmatched by any other team in history, is that they have whitewashed over 50% of their series in this time. The West Indies between 1975 and 1995 for example, whitewashed only two series of more than one match, both against England. Australia in the last 10 years have whitewashed more than a dozen.

But one series in 20 years? Just SLIGHTLY off there, especially considering until the 1989 Ashes when they started to turn it around Australia were actually one of the poorer teams in world cricket.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The whitewash statistic is slightly misleading to be fair - the scoring rates of Test Cricket have gone up so much that the number of draws in WI times was far more (especially factoring in slow over rates)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Indeed. It's not like Australia's period of dominance needs exxageration! (so it's 6 years, not 20)
A simple mistake any mathematician expressing the figure to base 6 could make

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
The whitewash statistic is slightly misleading to be fair - the scoring rates of Test Cricket have gone up so much that the number of draws in WI times was far more (especially factoring in slow over rates)
It might be, but it's also the case that Australia have generally dominated teams to a more comprehensive degree than the West Indies did. They were challenged far more often, they just didn't have a tendancy to cave in certain situations like Australia did in the subcontinent all the way up to last year.

West Indies also drew 9 series during their period of dominance, while they only lost two. Australia have been beaten 5 times in the subcontinent, but drawn far less.

BARMY_LAD

Cricket Spectator
In relation to the 'Mankad' law: this can not happen under the MCC's 2000 revised code of the Laws of Cricket, it has been outlawed, refer to below
(THE LAWS OF CRICKET 2000 CODE 2ND EDITION-2003)

LAW 38- RUN OUT

2. 'Batsman Not Run Out' if

(b) the ball has not subsequently been touched again by a fielder, after the bowler has entered his delivery stride, before the wicket is put down."

Trust me, I'm an Umpire :smartass:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I heard Dave Graveney say yesterday on BBC News that they are thinking about Andrew Caddick. Lets say england do get an ashes beating, do u blokes think england will go back to Caddick, similarly to what they did in 2001 when they went back to Tufnell

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Probably something like that - if you take into account pace bowlers only, and assume that England aren't going to make any changes to the balance of their side, the order probably goes something like this (and, seeing as this doesn't reflect my views but what I think the selectors' are, I don't wish to start a big debate here):

Harmison
Hoggard
S Jones
Lewis
Tremlett
Anderson
Plunkett
Ali
Mahmood
Caddick
D Harrison
Franks
Kirtley
Saggers

Roughly speaking - and one would hope, from an English point of view, that we don't even have to use anyone beyond Lewis or Tremlett this summer. Personally, the moment Harmison breaks down with this dodgy ankle he's picked up, or Simon Jones does his knee in again, I'd get Tremlett right in there. Matthew Hayden's already admitted he's scared of him.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
Roughly speaking - and one would hope, from an English point of view, that we don't even have to use anyone beyond Lewis or Tremlett this summer. Personally, the moment Harmison breaks down with this dodgy ankle he's picked up, or Simon Jones does his knee in again, I'd get Tremlett right in there. Matthew Hayden's already admitted he's scared of him.
I dont think if going to Anderson this summer also wont be such a bad option because he has been doing pretty well for Lanchashire this season.

Where have you heard that Hayden said he is scared of Tremlett? :huh: . I find that very amusing

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
scared of him???
sorry i did not read or hear that...please explain...
did he get himout or something and then matt the bat said..wow i hope they dont pick this bloke in the tests because i am scared of him hahahaha
come on ,maybe he was taking the p,,,, out of him

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
And he bowls best in the 2nd innings. So that is perhaps only one innings a Test he bowls well in.
Indeed.

Besides, by not picking him we have the somewhat bizarre scenario whereby his last Test was a 10 wicket one!

And looking at that scorecard, it amazes me England beat Australia when they were fielding Key, Crawley and Dawson!

Craig

World Traveller
Dawson I agree about.

Crawley did a decent job, even though he could have looked for a few more singles to get the scorecard moving along, and Key showed a lot of potential and I was impressed at how he batted against Shane Warne. It takes guts to go down the wicket to hit Warne for six, and he had them. He unfortunatly got out to perhaps Martyn's best ever ball in FC cricket.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
jlo33692 said:
scared of him???
sorry i did not read or hear that...please explain...
did he get himout or something and then matt the bat said..wow i hope they dont pick this bloke in the tests because i am scared of him hahahaha
come on ,maybe he was taking the p,,,, out of him
Hayden didn't say directly that he is scared of Tremlett, but he did say something along the lines of "There's some quality fast bowlers over here. We saw that today with Chris Tremlett - he's a huge bloke, and he made me feel like a midget."

So he admitted no fear directly, but I'd say that admitting a bowler is quality, and confessing to feeling like a midget when he was bowling, when you're 6ft 3in yourself, amounts to as close to fear as an Australian will ever feel against an uncapped Englishman!

archie mac

International Coach
Barney Rubble said:
Hayden didn't say directly that he is scared of Tremlett, but he did say something along the lines of "There's some quality fast bowlers over here. We saw that today with Chris Tremlett - he's a huge bloke, and he made me feel like a midget."

So he admitted no fear directly, but I'd say that admitting a bowler is quality, and confessing to feeling like a midget when he was bowling, when you're 6ft 3in yourself, amounts to as close to fear as an Australian will ever feel against an uncapped Englishman!
Sorry to jump in :) Maybe he is trying to get him into the England Team
:p