• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

tooextracool

International Coach
SpeedKing said:
i am sure he will be the first person to admit that but in the last series, he seemed to be developing a new trick or two.
yet he was still getting hammered......

SpeedKing said:
I see Collingwood as a grafter who makes so much of the limited talents he has [fielding not inclusive] and does just about a good enough job for England to stay in the ODI lineup.
you mean by averaging 26 and failing in the situations when his team needs him the most? you cant make the side just because you can finish an inning on a few occasions you know.

Link

State Vice-Captain
tooextracool said:
150 odd at edgbaston, the game just before he became captain and failed miserably for the rest of the series.
i was being sarcastic, that was not a ODI ton. plus i know everything there is to know about Vaughan

Link

State Vice-Captain
That innings was 156, he got out caught at first slip to a right handed bowler cant remember which one. Paul Adams was playing in that match. He used a maxi with a pursit grip.

shaka

International Regular
I was watching an old ashes match, which had Shane Warne bowling, it seemed as if he used to have a much higher arm action in that series, but has since changed his action quite a bit, probably because of surgery to his shoulder. I am not sure of the year that I was watching.

blockbuster

Cricket Spectator
shaka said:
I was watching an old ashes match, which had Shane Warne bowling, it seemed as if he used to have a much higher arm action in that series, but has since changed his action quite a bit, probably because of surgery to his shoulder. I am not sure of the year that I was watching.
To narrow it down, if Pommy batsmen were falling like flies, then you could have been watching him bowl in either the year 1993, 1994, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2001 or 2002! :p

shaka

International Regular
this was the game that hick got 59 or something, and Warne got Gatting LBW , seemed to be hitting off stump, hit Gatting on off stump as well (back pad), dunno if that helps, Alec Stewart was wearing an english version of the baggy cap, and made a century or something, keeper was neil foster I think.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
shaka said:
this was the game that hick got 59 or something, and Warne got Gatting LBW , seemed to be hitting off stump, hit Gatting on off stump as well (back pad), dunno if that helps, Alec Stewart was wearing an english version of the baggy cap, and made a century or something, keeper was neil foster I think.
Neil Foster was a fast bowler ;)

Gatting's last Ashes tour was 1994-95 - so it was either that or England 1993.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
shaka said:
It might have been Lord's in 1993. In the 2nd England innings, Gatting was lbw to warne for 59 and Hick made 60+. Stewart also made 60+, but it was Atherton who almost made a hunded. Neil Foster did indeed play in that game, and might as well have kept wicket for all the use he was by then.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
wpdavid said:
It might have been Lord's in 1993. In the 2nd England innings, Gatting was lbw to warne for 59 and Hick made 60+. Stewart also made 60+, but it was Atherton who almost made a hunded. Neil Foster did indeed play in that game, and might as well have kept wicket for all the use he was by then.
Scorecard.

All that I can remember of that as a seven year old is Atherton falling on his backside trying to decide whether to run or not, and being left stranded mid-pitch on 99.

shaka

International Regular
Mark Waugh opened the bowling, Tim May bowled first change, then Steve Waugh, very unusual bowling order, then of course was Warne and Border.

Hughes did get among the wickets, although i was surprised he was the only quick in lineup, and reason why McDermott did not bowl during the match, injury maybe?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
chaminda_00 said:
Yeah but even at his best he was inconsistent, at home he averages 50, but then away from home he averaged 33. He only really had on consistent season in the last 4 years, if you take out his 173* in 2001:
2001 - 35.5
2002 - 36.95
2003 - 44.5
2004 - 35.57
Not fair to take-out the 173* in 2001, it wasn't an anomalaic piece, it was just an extension. Watching The Ashes 2001 you could see it coming, he looked really good all series and continued to do so for the next year. Fell away in the 2nd half of 2002 and had a woeful Ashes 2002\03 (was improved by some dropped catches). Was back on the ball in 2003 but was never convincing in the subcontinent in 2003\04, and even though he compensated with a good West Indies series he's not played well since then.
But I personally still believe he can get back on his game if the injuries clear-up.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
duhhhhhhh :-O , but butch is the best option againts the aussies he has had good performances againts them in the last 2 series
No, 1 out of the last 2 series.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
yes those are 3 good innings in 3 years. not really much to speak about.
The century against Sri Lanka certainly wasn't a good innings, he was dropped on 11.
Collingwood has only had 1 very short good period in his ODI career, when he somehow went from last-chance-saloon-to-prove-yourself to a "vital part". These few games are the piece, and aside from them his average is abysmal. In 29 innings before that his first-chance average was 21.46; in the 25 after that he averages 23.11 when you get rid of Ban and Zim games.
Collingwood has to be one of the most overrated players in English ODI history.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Link said:
That innings was 156, he got out caught at first slip to a right handed bowler cant remember which one. Paul Adams was playing in that match. He used a maxi with a pursit grip.
The bowler was Dewald Pretorious; Paul Adams wasn't actually playing at Edgbaston, Robin Peterson (who dismissed Vaughan in the second-innings) was.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SJS said:
What happened to off spin in English cricket ????
Robert Croft got fed-up, understandibly, of Richard Dawson and Gareth Batty being perceived as remotely close to his equal, never mind his superior, and retired.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Robert Croft got fed-up, understandibly, of Richard Dawson and Gareth Batty being perceived as remotely close to his equal, never mind his superior, and retired.
Maybe my memory's playing tricks on me, but didn't Croft declare himself unavailable for the India tour after 9/11, which was when Dawson first played.