• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Steulen said:
Yeah, but that's GIRL's cricket, that does nay count no...
I think Trescothick has a decent chance of scoring the first 200 in an ODI as well as Sehwag and Gilchrist.

As for the Twenty20 I hope Australia bat first on their Twenty20 warm-up game on Thursday.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
I think Trescothick has a decent chance of scoring the first 200 in an ODI as well as Sehwag and Gilchrist.

As for the Twenty20 I hope Australia bat first on their Twenty20 warm-up game on Thursday.
Trescothick? He's really never impressed me with the kind of hitting ability that Gilchrist and Sehwag have. Mind you, you don't necessarily have to score at two runs a ball to make a huge score in ODIs, as plenty of batsmen have got very close scoring at a more moderate rate (Michael Bevan's 190 odd in the unofficial match against an Asian combined side springs to mind).

Scaly piscine

Tresco has batted through most of an innings on a few occasions for England, with his added liking of Bangladesh bowlers he could feasibly convert one of those 120s and 130s where he gets out with a few overs left into a 200.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Trescothick? He's really never impressed me with the kind of hitting ability that Gilchrist and Sehwag have. Mind you, you don't necessarily have to score at two runs a ball to make a huge score in ODIs, as plenty of batsmen have got very close scoring at a more moderate rate (Michael Bevan's 190 odd in the unofficial match against an Asian combined side springs to mind).
I've personally seen Tresco hit some MASSIVE 6's in the times I've seen him bat and with almost no effort. It's just weird - he'll play the gaps and look bogged down and then launch a few balls out of the stadium. If he could do that consistently, who knows............ But yeah he certainly has the ability to hit long balls like Gilly and Sehwag but he doesn't seem to be able to do it as consistently as they do.

As for that Bevo score, he didn't just play the gaps like he usually does in that knock; he hit quite a few 6's too. He hit 185 off 132 balls with 19 4's and 5 6's in fact, most of them coming in the last few overs when he got the World XI SOOOOO close to winning the game chasing 320.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:
I've personally seen Tresco hit some MASSIVE 6's in the times I've seen him bat and with almost no effort. It's just weird - he'll play the gaps and look bogged down and then launch a few balls out of the stadium. If he could do that consistently, who knows............ But yeah he certainly has the ability to hit long balls like Gilly and Sehwag but he doesn't seem to be able to do it as consistently as they do.

As for that Bevo score, he didn't just play the gaps like he usually does in that knock; he hit quite a few 6's too. He hit 185 off 132 balls with 19 4's and 5 6's in fact, most of them coming in the last few overs when he got the World XI SOOOOO close to winning the game chasing 320.
Oh I know, I was just commenting on the fact that you don't have to be a "hitter" to make a big score in ODIs. Bevan was quite capable of hitting on his day of course, but he didn't have a reputation for it like a Gilchrist or a Sehwag.

Mister Wright

Top_Cat said:

Everyone knows that game was rigged. The Asian XI had to win, but it had to be close.

Eclipse

International Debutant
chaminda_00 said:
All im saying is if i had may last $10 and i had to beat on who would score 200 in ODI first i would go for Sehwag. Im sure their both capable, but it think Sehwag is slightly more likely to do it.

ok..

I just think he would probably throw his wicket away before hand though.. his highest is only like 130..

I would almost be tempted to look at someone like Lara or Ponting.. batsman who probably won't throw there wicket away but can still hit the ball extreamly long and hard. Tendulkar of 5 or so years ago would have been my bet but he's a different player now.

King_Ponting

International Regular
I'd say Ponting... Just by looking at Pontings ability to accelerate after looking bogged down in an innings is extraordinary. Just look at the innings he played in the world cup final, his first 50 looked sluggish and his next 90 well that was amazing...... Pontings ability to hit sixes one handed also comes in handy, Quite a piece of willoew he has at the moment :)

tooextracool

International Coach
Top_Cat said:
the one thing i must say about tresco in ODIs, is that he paces himself beautifully. you can almost guarantee that if he bats through an inning, england will throughout the game have a perfectly gettable Required RR even if they are chasing a very big score. and unlike gilchrist and sehwag he does it with minimal risks and slogging.

tooextracool

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Oh I know, I was just commenting on the fact that you don't have to be a "hitter" to make a big score in ODIs.
that is indeed very true. you only have to look at the fact that anwar and kirsten are 2 of the top 4names on the list.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:

well i'm not so certain about trescothick, but i have got 3 blokes that could get 200 in ODI cricket which are Gilchrist, Sehwag & Gayle

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Tresco is more likely than Gayle, Gayle has already had 2 good opportunities against Zimbabwe and Kenya and didn't make it. Also Gayle struggles far too much once the field spreads out (even if the bowling is rubbish), where as Tresco can still hit the sixes and the gaps after the first 15 overs.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
10 overs from Clarke and Symonds, nice :D
You would think that would be Australia weakness, especially when you add that Watson sometimes bats at 8, so you have 20 overs from Watson, Clarke, Symonds and Hussey. But they seems to find a way to get around it and still win games. I guess in the past they had Lehmann. Personally i don't think England will be able to make the most of it cus they have to get through Dizzy, MacGrath and Lee first.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I'm a bit disappointed that Hopes isn't in the ODI squad. I think he deserves another go, given that he did nothing wrong on debut and in fact bowled rather beautifully and was close to man of the match. The best Australian ODI squad at the moment would be

Hayden
Gilchrist
Ponting
Martyn
Symonds
Clarke
Hopes
Hogg
Lee
Gillespie
McGrath

If Hayden's run of poor form continues, he can be taken out and Clarke can open with Hussey at 6. Either way, Watson isn't suited at all to playing as a bowling all-rounder in ODIs and they shouldn't make him do so, nor should they rely on Symonds and Clarke to send down 10 overs between them. If Hopes fails other options can be looked at, but he certainly deserves a go.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Personally i don't think Hopes' batting is up to batting at 7 in the Australia team yet. It would kind of like when Harvey batted at 7 for Australia. Your right that Watson shouldn't be used as a bowling all rounder but if you're going to play an all rounder at 7 then your better of going for Watson.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
Personally i don't think Hopes' batting is up to batting at 7 in the Australia team yet. It would kind of like when Harvey batted at 7 for Australia. Your right that Watson shouldn't be used as a bowling all rounder but if you're going to play an all rounder at 7 then your better of going for Watson.
Perhaps not, but with Hogg at 8, Lee at 9 and Gillespie at 10 that's a fairly deep batting lineup as it is. I think he's worth a try - he's the best hope for a number 7 in ODIs currently available in Australia.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Perhaps not, but with Hogg at 8, Lee at 9 and Gillespie at 10 that's a fairly deep batting lineup as it is. I think he's worth a try - he's the best hope for a number 7 in ODIs currently available in Australia.
He might be the best 'hope', but not the best option, Watson is still a better option.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
He might be the best 'hope', but not the best option, Watson is still a better option.
I really don't think so. Hopes is a much better OD bowler, and the difference in their batting quality might be huge if you're talking about batting at 4 and forging an innings, but if you're going to stick Watson in at 7 to have a bit of a hit in the dying overs his superior quality probably isn't going to show, and with his superior hitting ability Hopes is a better option.