• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Nnanden said:
Dang. That`s no good at all.

Will there be enough time to see Tait get his 5-for? :p
Good news for those hoping to retain the Ashes though :p

I'm intrigued by this Tait fellow, hope he plays (and not just for the easy runs either :D ).

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He really got beaten up, didn't he!?

I think he and Lee bowling in tandem would be pretty bloody hard to handle, as long as they're on the mark.

Last edited:

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
andyc said:
He really got beaten up, didn't he!?

I think he and Lee bowling in tandem would be pretty bloody hard to handle, as long as they're on the mark.
Against Northants, aye, against England....we'll see.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Pedro Delgado said:
Against Northants, aye, against England....we'll see.
Well it's not like England have brushed Lee aside with ease so far. He's certainly done some damage, to Strauss in particular.

Anyway, Tait isn't quite the bouncer barrage bowler that a Lee or Harmison is, he usually just pitches it up and swings it, conventional and reverse, and his bouncer skids on more than it really rears up. The one to watch for are his outswingers (or reverse inswingers) and his yorker, which is the best going around in Australian cricket. I don't think he hits people all that often really. :)

Will be very interesting to see how he goes if he gets picked. He's a very mercurial sort of bowler, and he could go for 100 off 10 or take 5 wickets in a dozen overs.

Last edited:

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
But "hard to handle" was the phrase used, and I think England have handled Lee okay so far (Strauss got hit hooking IIRC, which is a dangerous shot to take on against pace). Langer has looked uncomfortable against Harmo occasionaly, just playing defensively.

Anyway what I mean is bowlers can look hard to handle if you're playing the hook, but for Tait and Lee don't read Holding or Croft.

Scaly piscine

Pedro Delgado said:
Good news for those hoping to retain the Ashes though :p

I'm intrigued by this Tait fellow, hope he plays (and not just for the easy runs either :D ).
I hope the next one is a draw and there's a full 5 days on a result pitch in the last Test, that's actually the best chance of winning the Ashes back - it's easier to win one Test with another mostly rained off than to win one Test and have to not lose in the other.

Scaly piscine

broncoman said:
ive got a feeling we might with tait, his extra pace will upset the english batsmen. Kasper is too much like Dizzy and i dont think hes in good form either so Tait should play. As Ponting was suggesting the other day apart from Lee none of our bowlers are using the old ball well and Tait will get reverse swing, if he plays and gets it right he will worry the poms...
Going by that line, Tait must surely be too much like Lee then. As an England fan I'd like to see Tait and Lee picked together, because on any given day one of them will get carted around the ground and that eases the pressure on England and puts more pressure on the remaining 3 bowlers, as has happened in the previous Tests. I still think Kasprowicz will be picked personally.

Scaly piscine

Pedro Delgado said:
The longer we have in the field, the longer we can let our cricket do the talking IMO. Rain favours the Aussies for me.
Putting it another way, if there are two result games that is two chances for Australia to retain the Ashes, if there is only one result game that is one chance for Australia to retain the Ashes.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Going by that line, Tait must surely be too much like Lee then. As an England fan I'd like to see Tait and Lee picked together, because on any given day one of them will get carted around the ground and that eases the pressure on England and puts more pressure on the remaining 3 bowlers, as has happened in the previous Tests. I still think Kasprowicz will be picked personally.
compare Lee and Gillespie this series so far?

Slow Love™

International Captain
Scaly piscine said:
I think he will be picked, and I think he should be picked. And I have high hopes that Kasper will vindicate that choice. I had hoped for Lee/McGrath/Kasper/Warne from the beginning.

As to the weather, it looks interesting - might make my 2-1 prediction at the outset at the series a little more likely (it was looking extremely unlikely about a week ago).