• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As they have not picked 6 batsmen in the past, how have we seen time and again that this doesn't work?

If we drop G Jones for Read how have we seen time and again that this will be a mistake?

If they replace S Jones with the uncapped Tremlett how have we seen time and again that this would be an error?

If something has never even been tried we could not possibly have seen time and again that it does not work.
I was talking about 'panic-stricken selections' and you know it.

And why would you drop Jones when he was one of England's best bowlers in both innings?!?

a massive zebra

International Captain
Top_Cat said:
I was talking about 'panic-stricken selections' and you know it.
And as I made the same statements before the start of the test, please explain how they are panic-stricken.

Top_Cat said:
And why would you drop Jones when he was one of England's best bowlers in both innings?!?
A four ball every over is not good enough at the international level. Don't tell me that having Glenn McGrath or some other tail-enders dropped multiple times actually means anything.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
a massive zebra said:
As they have not picked 6 batsmen in the past, how have we seen time and again that this doesn't work?

If we drop G Jones for Read how have we seen time and again that this will be a mistake?

If they replace S Jones with the uncapped Tremlett how have we seen time and again that this would be an error?

If something has never even been tried we could not possibly have seen time and again that it does not work.
Well NZ had lots of batting depth against England last year, but it didn't stop them losing their last 5 wickets pretty quickly on virtually every occasion.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
a massive zebra said:
A four ball every over is not good enough at the international level. Don't tell me that having Glenn McGrath or some other tail-enders dropped multiple times actually means anything.
Having Clarke dropped on 21 might do, though, but I suppose as that doesn't fit with your original position, that can be safely ignored.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Drop Jones for Read and perhaps Giles for Tremlett.

Simon Jones has been awesome, please don`t drop him.

a massive zebra

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
Having Clarke dropped on 21 might do, though
Maybe so as it cost England 70 runs, but Clarke is normally pretty much a walking wicket in England and the other bowlers should be able to get him out cheaply in most of the remaining innings.

luckyeddie said:
but I suppose as that doesn't fit with your original position, that can be safely ignored.
Oh do shut up, im perfectly happy to respond to people/facts that disagree with/contradict my opinions.

Last edited:

Hoggy31

International Captain
If i was England i would bring in Read for G Jones and Collingwood for S Jones

1. Trescothick
2. Strauss
3. Vaughan
4. Bell
5. Pietersen
6. Flintoff
7. Collingwood
8. Read
9. Giles
10. Hoggard
11. Harmison

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Why drop Simon Jones?!? He has been your best bowler I reckon. So many dropped catches off his bowling... does anyone know exactly how many?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And as I made the same statements before the start of the test, please explain how they are panic-stricken.
I meant if you make them all NOW for the second Test. Sheesh............

No, the way he bowled when I watched him is what means something. He may go for runs in some patches but sometimes, much like Brett Lee, he'll rip out a few batsmen to give you the edge. He did it in the first innings with the wickets of Martyn and Clarke for 2 and 11. They were vital wickets. He bowled well and anyone who watched him would know that. Dropping him for a completly unproven quick is just and REEKS of panic.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
You just hate the Welsh
or he just one of many that is calling for these crazy axing in this England team, their is no reason G.Jones should be dropped along with any wholesale changes to side that has been so successful in the last 18 months. Although i do think Giles place should be questioned now for the wrest of the series.

I definately wouldn't drop S.Jones, but I would G.Jones and Read would be the keeper.

Giles? maybe but Bell would certainly be first to go. He's doomed to fail looking like he does.

King_Ponting

International Regular
Shane Warne said:
I definately wouldn't drop S.Jones, but I would G.Jones and Read would be the keeper.

Giles? maybe but Bell would certainly be first to go. He's doomed to fail looking like he does.
Now now just because the boy looks like he came out on the wrong end of an accident with a semi trailer, is no reason to degrade his cricketing abilities. Oh wait a sec................. he has none

King_Ponting

International Regular
Shane Warne said:
It does seem a bit harsh, but I think there's something in it.

England have too many babyfaces in the side anyway.
G Jones.
Strauss.
Bell.

They all look about 15.
One of the ugliest persons ive seen