• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
greg said:
Flattish pitches could be in England's favour IMO. I back our batting and i think our 5 man attack has a better chance of lasting the series.
Why? Your batting hasn't looked particularly solid against Australias seamers to date, and McGrath and Warne are as good at getting wickets on flat pitches as anyone. And, Australia's batting has looked absolutely dominant so far on the flatter wickets, and shaky on the seamers.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
greg said:
Flattish pitches could be in England's favour IMO. I back our batting and i think our 5 man attack has a better chance of lasting the series.
What are you on and can I have some please. :)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
JASON said:
Here's My prediction- (All scientifically worked out based on probabilities, weather, player comfort etc. Based on complex Mathematical prediction Model !! :D :laugh: )

20/20 - England.

Nat West Series - England 2-1(3 games v Australia)

Nat West challenge - Australia 3-0 ( 3 games)

Ashes - 5 Tests - 2-2 with a drawn Test !! Australia retain the Ashes !! :D
FaaipDeOiad said:
Anyway, my tips:

20/20: Australia
NWS: Australia 7-0, England 3-4, Bangladesh 0-6.
NWC: Australia 2-1
Ashes: Australia 3-1
Previous standings JASON 1 and 3/4 points, Faaip De Oiad 1/2 point

Nat West Challenge 2-1 !!
Congratulations Faaip De Oiad for predicting it spot on !! :notworthy :D

Faaip De Oiad 1 point , JASON 1/2 point .

Current standings - JASON - 2 and 1/4 points, Faaip De Oiad 1 and 1/2 points !! :D

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Why? Your batting hasn't looked particularly solid against Australias seamers to date, and McGrath and Warne are as good at getting wickets on flat pitches as anyone. And, Australia's batting has looked absolutely dominant so far on the flatter wickets, and shaky on the seamers.
I agree. Time to get the hosepipes out, I reckon.

howardj

International Coach
From what I saw of the ODI's, and taking account of the Lords pitch, I think England should bat Flintoff at 7, and play an extra batsman in the First Test. I can't see Giles picking up very many (if any) wickets at Lords, and if the ODI series has proven one thing, it is that the English top order can be very brittle.

King_Ponting

International Regular
greg said:

Sure your not talking from an australian perspective there? Casue to suggest that u would back the english batsman on that strip is an apsolute joke.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Would England be that bad in having this team:

Trescothick
Strauss
Vaughan
Bell
Thorpe
Pietersen
Flintoff
Jones
Hoggard
Jones
Harmsion

tooextracool

International Coach
simmy said:
So well put. England really need to prepare a track much like the Headingley one the other day. One that their taller bowlers can exploit.
headingly, the track which all bar collingwood bowled poorly on?

tooextracool

International Coach
i really think that if the ODI series has proved anything, the english bowlers bowled a lot better when they got the slowish wickets that they got in the first few games against australia. hoggard will probably get the ball to swing anyways, harmison is obviously more capable of exploting uneven bounce and is far more likely to bowl rubbish short balls on seaming wickets, flintoff is a fairly decent bowler in all conditions despite also being prone to bowling too short occasionally when the ball is moving about, giles becomes far more effective when theres a bit of turn & jones well he just needs accuracy and he'll be useful on most wickets.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
i really think that if the ODI series has proved anything, the english bowlers bowled a lot better when they got the slowish wickets that they got in the first few games against australia. hoggard will probably get the ball to swing anyways, harmison is obviously more capable of exploting uneven bounce and is far more likely to bowl rubbish short balls on seaming wickets, flintoff is a fairly decent bowler in all conditions despite also being prone to bowling too short occasionally when the ball is moving about, giles becomes far more effective when theres a bit of turn & jones well he just needs accuracy and he'll be useful on most wickets.
For me, Harmison looked most dangerous at Edgbaston and Lords, and Flintoff at Lords and Headingley. In fact, at Lords he was pretty much unplayable, and sent down one of the best spells of the series. Harmison as you say likes uneven bounce, but he also looked good when it was seaming at Lords. Jones will be much better when it's seaming, I think, and Hoggard obviously needs swing. Giles won't be a major factor in the tests, I don't think. The Australians will clearly target him, and if he's anything other than a 30+ average stock bowler I'll be shocked, and England need to be bowling Australia out regularly for sub-400 totals to win this series. The best bet, is a situation like Lords where they can get wicket which has some grass on it and seams a bit early on, and hopefully win the toss and send Australia in with it overcast and bowl them out for 250 or less.

What England definately don't want, is a flat wicket which breaks up and turns later in the match, like the last couple of ODI wickets. If there are five wickets like that and the weather stays good, Australia are quite capable of winning all the tests for mine. If it's seaming the whole way, it could go either way and though I'd still pick an Australian win I would expect it to be a close series.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
Would England be that bad in having this team:

Trescothick
Strauss
Vaughan
Bell
Thorpe
Pietersen
Flintoff
Jones
Hoggard
Jones
Harmsion
No, but Giles would be missed. From what we've seen so far, he should be able to tie up one end and allow the quicks to operate in short bursts. With that lineup, we're relying on Vaughan & Bell in the controlling role, which may be optimistic.
It's tricky though. Apart from Flintoff, none of the quicks are consistent enough to leave us 100% happy with only 3 of them plus Giles. OTOH the batting's looked so poor this summer and in SA that the insurance of an extra batsman is an attractive option. To be fair to the selectors, they're going to be crucified by someone whatever they do.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
wpdavid said:
No, but Giles would be missed. From what we've seen so far, he should be able to tie up one end and allow the quicks to operate in short bursts. With that lineup, we're relying on Vaughan & Bell in the controlling role, which may be optimistic.
It's tricky though. Apart from Flintoff, none of the quicks are consistent enough to leave us 100% happy with only 3 of them plus Giles. OTOH the batting's looked so poor this summer and in SA that the insurance of an extra batsman is an attractive option. To be fair to the selectors, they're going to be crucified by someone whatever they do.
well its unlikely that the selectors will pick that team since Giles in their view is an extremely important member of the test side, but picking that team has you said is an attractive option.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Looks like Vaughanhas picked up a niggling injury too - here's a scenario. Both he and Pietersen are unavailable for the First Test. What's England's team? Butcher unfit, Key out of form etc. It'd be a big gamble, but I'd go for:

Trescothick
Strauss
Bell
Thorpe
Joyce
Flintoff
G Jones
Giles
Hoggard
S Jones
Harmison

Joyce looks a very good player.

PY

International Coach
Depends if you're a selector or not. :p

For us, it'd be brilliant. Imagine it, would be amazing and I'd miss it....:mad:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Once Joyce plays for England, is that it for him and Ireland?

It'd be good if they could make an exception (in the case that he's not in England's squad) for the 2007 World Cup, just to ensure that the Irish manage to be as competitive as possible.