• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
age_master said:
a) England dont have any good spinners.
Yes, we do, 2 of them (sadly 1 has retired).
b) Wont produce any turning tracks anyway.
There is absolutely no way you can know that, and judging by recent evidence it's not nearly as impossible as we'd have thought 12 months ago.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Yes, we do, 2 of them (sadly 1 has retired).

There is absolutely no way you can know that, and judging by recent evidence it's not nearly as impossible as we'd have thought 12 months ago.
while ofcourse i cant know that, i do know that English people are scared of Warne

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Hopefully he won't play too many more ODIs, and certainly I'd imagine he'll not get anywhere near the Test-team in the immidate future.
Thank God.
oh look another foolish collinwood critic, tell me your reasons why you dont feel he shouldn't be in the team

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Keep telling yourself that - no-one else is taking the slightest notice.
i am... also in duncan fletcher, michael vaughan and the rest of the england management, they want collingwood in the team so ur dislike for the bloke wont get him out

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Us producing turners will not make Warne much more likely to dominate; he'll very probably do so whether the pitch is a turner or not.
Producing turners will give us a chance of having someone come close to matching Warne, something we'll not have if we produce non-turners.
what are you wild?, the effect warne will have on a turning track in the upcoming series will be yards ahead of the effect gilo will have

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Giles has been got after of times. Only, of course, on non-turners; you go after Giles on a turner, especially when you're as poor against spin as so many of the Australians are, you'll pay for it most likely sooner rather than later.
poor is a very exaggerated term, guys like langer, ponting & filly aren't great players of spin agreed, but we wont have turning pitches like over in the sub-continent & giles isn't anywehre has good has Mural, Harbhajan nor kumble so your point isn't justified

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
That may be his role on a non-turner - a role I don't feel has much point or merit in doing so, and a role that good batting can and have of times hit out of the attack - but on a turner Giles most certainly becomes a very, very potent strike-force as shown quite clearly by the number of times he's influenced matches played on turners.
well of course he will be a strike bowler when we go over to the sub-continent, but what pratayush role thier, is gilo's role basically in the team with ball since we dont play on turners all the time

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Plenty of doubt... judging by last season there's a chance of some turning tracks.
the tracks offered some assistance to him, but it wasn't anyway near sub-continent proportions, plus he was playing againts a wild west indies team with some batsmen who really give their wickets away most of the time. Agreed they may be some turners but not that much for giles to a strike bowler come on......... his role in the series definately will be to contain

Scallywag

Banned
Richard said:
Total and utter rubbish.
Giles is a fingerspinner and as such is a poor bowler on a non-turner.
On a turner, though, Giles will oust pretty much anyone, including the several poor Australian players of spin - Langer, Ponting and Gilchrist.
Giles is just a poor bowler.

He has no class and is not a threat and will just be in the team to make up the overs because England have not got a spin bowler who is of international standard.

Yes he will get wickets on dodgy pitches but so will Clarke and any other player you let have a bowl.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
what are you wild?, the effect warne will have on a turning track in the upcoming series will be yards ahead of the effect gilo will have
But the actual difference in effectiveness would be much more marked for Giles on a turner than for Warne.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Richard said:
That may be his role on a non-turner - a role I don't feel has much point or merit in doing so, and a role that good batting can and have of times hit out of the attack - but on a turner Giles most certainly becomes a very, very potent strike-force as shown quite clearly by the number of times he's influenced matches played on turners.
Giles isnt a very big force on turners. His role certainly increases fromt hat of a stock bowler though.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
One aspect I would like to ask.

If England do manage to beat Australia, how would they rank as a test Team England are the legitimate number 2 in the world. But would they be able to confer to themselves the title of world champions.

Or do they have to beat a few more sides. For example the Australians could always claim to have beaten India in India and England not having done so.

When can England call themselves world number 1 in tests?

archie mac

International Coach
The quick answer is when they have more points in the icc Test table.
Morally if they could back-up and beat Aus. in Aust

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Some one, I think Paull Allott was mentioning that it would be some where near 2007 before England can be number 1 in the ICC ranking. And that would be if England won every series and Australia lost every series. I just heard some thing on those lines during commentary so it is not accurate replication of what I heard but quite astonishing.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Pratyush said:
Some one, I think Paull Allott was mentioning that it would be some where near 2007 before England can be number 1 in the ICC ranking. And that would be if England won every series and Australia lost every series. I just heard some thing on those lines during commentary so it is not accurate replication of what I heard but quite astonishing.
And that's all of 18 months, so four series' worth.

archie mac

International Coach
Yeah! I new Australia were a long way in front, but thats a bit scary. Cannot be a good thing for Cricket. The good news is history; from Hambledon to the greats of 48 to the mighty Windies of the 80s. They all come back to the field in the end. But I intend to enjoy in while it lasts.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
How is it terrible to not select a player who is useless at the highest level?
It's terrible to think of Croft as useless at the highest level when he averaged something like 23 on turning pitches.
It's also terrible to think that Dawson and Batty are anything close to as good a bowlers as him.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
age_master said:
while ofcourse i cant know that, i do know that English people are scared of Warne
English people aren't - English cricketers might be, and with good reason - but not preparing a turning pitch won't help combat Warne and anyone with any sense knows that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
i am... also in duncan fletcher, michael vaughan and the rest of the england management, they want collingwood in the team so ur dislike for the bloke wont get him out
Nope, but his poor performance will do eventually - weak teams can only save someone for so long.
And my comment was not directed at Collingwood, it was directed at that piscine fool who will repeat stating that anything myself and to a lesser extent tec must hold the opposite true - of which no-one else is taking the slightest notice.