• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Now that is an idea. MacGill's one-day performances were exemplary last season. Only problem is that he's out of favour with the selectors, and can't bat or field too well.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
LongHopCassidy said:
Now that is an idea. MacGill's one-day performances were exemplary last season. Only problem is that he's out of favour with the selectors, and can't bat or field too well.
I was referring to the test arena.

I think the team that took the field in the last test at the SCG this year had good balance with 4 main bowlers plus an all-rounder.

Something along the lines of:

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Martyn
Clarke/Katich/Hussey
Gilchrist
Watson
Warne
Kaspa/Gillespie/Lee/MacGill
Kaspa/Gillespie/Lee/MacGill
McGrath

In general, Australia gets into trouble when teams are able to out-last them. Having Watson as a back-up ensures that the main bowlers get some rest at least.

Mister Wright

social said:
Cant imagine why he should or why anyone particularly cares.

A ridiculously high percentage of men are unfaithful to their partners, nationality or profession doesnt come into it.

In any event, gotta love Shane for taking some of the headlines away from our misfiring players. Way to take one for the team, Warnie!
I'd like to see the research you have done on that topic... :-O

Mister Wright

Scallywag said:
Who's more stupid, Warne for being just a normal bloke or all the cricket fans that pay heaps of money to watch a stupid man. Not to mention Enclish club and fans now pay him bucketfuls of money to play. Sorry who did you say was stupid.
Why would those fans and teams be stupid? I think the majority of the poeple can make out a difference between things that happen on the field and those things that happen off the field. People want to see the greatest leg spinner ever and teams want the best leg spinner ever playing for them - that doesn't make them stupid. Warne doing his best to ruin his personal life and possible media and playing interests is stupid.

Craig

World Traveller
FaaipDeOiad said:
Solid is being pretty nice to him in NZ, I think. He wasn't shocking, but he was ordinary. He had one good spell, and other than that looked unpenetrative and averaged 40 odd for the series.

Regardless, I think the selectors have shown before that they don't keep ODIs and tests completely seperate. My personal feeling is that if Kasprowicz continues to get absolutely pasted in the ODIs and Lee bowls really well, they'll pick Lee. If their performances aren't too far apart however and Kasprowicz looks at least competent, they will stay with him.
And that is how Hayden got back into the ODI team.

Back on his run feat in India 2001, he was left out of the ODI squad, but his run of form got him an extended stay. And Nathan Bracken can be considered in this example.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Getting back on topic for a moment, what do people think the chance of Lee starting at Lord's is now?

With Kasprowicz out of form, if Lee has a decent NWS and Kasper doesn't improve, one would have to say the chances are pretty good.
Why have you only got Kaspa in the firing line? Gillespie has looked just as awful as Kaspa on this tour.

Cheers,

Mike

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
badgerhair said:
Why have you only got Kaspa in the firing line? Gillespie has looked just as awful as Kaspa on this tour.

Cheers,

Mike
True, but Kasprowicz is by far the least senior and most disposable member of the current bowling attack. And, I don't have anyone "in the firing line", but if someone was to be dropped for Lee it would be Kasprowicz, without question.

Mister Wright

FaaipDeOiad said:
True, but Kasprowicz is by far the least senior and most disposable member of the current bowling attack. And, I don't have anyone "in the firing line", but if someone was to be dropped for Lee it would be Kasprowicz, without question.
That's the most important thing.

Scallywag

Banned
Mister Wright said:
Why would those fans and teams be stupid? I think the majority of the poeple can make out a difference between things that happen on the field and those things that happen off the field. People want to see the greatest leg spinner ever and teams want the best leg spinner ever playing for them - that doesn't make them stupid. Warne doing his best to ruin his personal life and possible media and playing interests is stupid.

Warne is in demand because if he plays more people will watch. You have no idea about his personal life except for the larger than life cricketer. All your assumptions are based on dodgy sensationalised reports. You seem to think you would have made better decisions than Warne if you had his abilities and success. Maybe you do have higher morals than Warne but then you dont have all the scrutiny he is subject to. I suspect Warne is no different in intelligence than most but he is more open to critisism on flimsy evidence.

Mister Wright

Scallywag said:
Warne is in demand because if he plays more people will watch. You have no idea about his personal life except for the larger than life cricketer. All your assumptions are based on dodgy sensationalised reports. You seem to think you would have made better decisions than Warne if you had his abilities and success. Maybe you do have higher morals than Warne but then you dont have all the scrutiny he is subject to. I suspect Warne is no different in intelligence than most but he is more open to critisism on flimsy evidence.
This is a guy who thought "Hey it is easier batting without gloves!" Then broke his finger and missed out on the final test match in India. That doesn't sound like the brightest tool in Australia's shed, does it?

Also this was a guy who said, I'll take a diuretic to make me look thiner, no need to check with anyone if it is on the band substance list. Or maybe he is smarter than I give him credit for and he actually took a substance that the diuretic masked...

Scaly piscine

I think Scally thinks most people are as 'bright' as he is when he says Warne is no different in intelligence than most. Scally should really try not to sound so much like one of those Michael Jackson fans that travel half way across the globe to overzealously support their fallen idol when he waffles on about Warne's shenanigans.

Scallywag

Banned
Mister Wright said:
This is a guy who thought "Hey it is easier batting without gloves!" Then broke his finger and missed out on the final test match in India. That doesn't sound like the brightest tool in Australia's shed, does it?

Also this was a guy who said, I'll take a diuretic to make me look thiner, no need to check with anyone if it is on the band substance list. Or maybe he is smarter than I give him credit for and he actually took a substance that the diuretic masked...

Its just as easy for me to call you stupid because you cant bowl like Warnie. But I assume there are other things in life you are quite competent at. Sure you can pick through a couple of news reports from the last decade and say I've made up my mind based on these report as to the intelligence of Warne. Some people will think you are stupid for being so incredibly niave for make such a decision. Some (like me) dont really care. :D

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Mister Wright said:

It's also the guy who Merv Hughes tells this story about:

The pair of them decided to get fit one winter, and to do it by swimming heaps. Merv knew this bloke who ran a nearby pool to where he lived, so him and Warney started meeting up and doing some work.

One day Merv was having a chat with the guy who ran the pool, and he said that he didn't want to, but he might have to kick Merv and "his mate" out if his mate didn't pull his head in.

"What's he been doing?" Merv asked the guy.
"Relieving himself in the pool"
"Big deal, everyone does that" Merv replied, to which the pool guy said,

"Not from the 10m board."

Mister Wright

Scallywag said:
Its just as easy for me to call you stupid because you cant bowl like Warnie. But I assume there are other things in life you are quite competent at. Sure you can pick through a couple of news reports from the last decade and say I've made up my mind based on these report as to the intelligence of Warne. Some people will think you are stupid for being so incredibly niave for make such a decision. Some (like me) dont really care. :D
Nobody is doubting his cricket brain, and you will find I am one of the people who think he is one of the smartest cricketers playing cricket. However, being smart on the field does not equate to being smart off the field. He is stupid, and is admitted continual text message adventures, and other things of the like prove it. I am not being selective, I am going by what I know to be the truth - the no gloves incident, the diuretic incident and his continual text messaging incidents.

If you don't care so much, why are you continuing with this topic?

Mister Wright

vic_orthdox said:
It's also the guy who Merv Hughes tells this story about:

The pair of them decided to get fit one winter, and to do it by swimming heaps. Merv knew this bloke who ran a nearby pool to where he lived, so him and Warney started meeting up and doing some work.

One day Merv was having a chat with the guy who ran the pool, and he said that he didn't want to, but he might have to kick Merv and "his mate" out if his mate didn't pull his head in.

"What's he been doing?" Merv asked the guy.
"Relieving himself in the pool"
"Big deal, everyone does that" Merv replied, to which the pool guy said,

"Not from the 10m board."
Sounds like classic Warne to me.

tooextracool

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
thats despite the fact that in the last 1.5 years gillespie has had about 2 good series?