• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

McGrath/Ambrose/Walsh

Which one?

• McGrath

Votes: 18 41.9%
  • Ambrose

Votes: 20 46.5%
  • Walsh

Votes: 5 11.6%

• Total voters

irfan

State Captain
Ambrose i feel is a more dynamic bowler, besides being able to more jaffas at the start of spells he also had a multi-faceted approach (besides bowling good balls he was more aggressive,physically menacing and had a more deadly bouncer than McGrath.) But tactically, and on ability to plot the batsman's downfall even on the most lifeless of pitches, McGrath would take the cake.

Ambrose over McGrath, just. Although the gap will shorten if McGrath's recent run continues

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Ambrose, ,just, because of the fear factor. Lets not forget McGrath has had wonderful support for most of his career to maintain the pressure.

shaka

International Regular
I voted for Walsh, although his batting could have been improved. 500 odd wickets has to put him over the top, plus bowling in tandem most times with Ambrose.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
shaka said:
I voted for Walsh, although his batting could have been improved. 500 odd wickets has to put him over the top, plus bowling in tandem most times with Ambrose.
Give it 4 or 5 more tests and McGrath will have more wickets than Walsh, and they all had 400 plus. Surely a few wickets extra doesn't matter that much.

shaka

International Regular
im talking about this particular moment, not when McGrath gets past the mark.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
mavric41 said:
Ambrose, ,just, because of the fear factor. Lets not forget McGrath has had wonderful support for most of his career to maintain the pressure.
That's true to an extent with the ball, but more with the bat. McGrath has typically had more runs to play with, not that he gives any away...

Slifer

International Captain
I would go for Curtley as well especially on helpful wickets. But Mcgrath is one hell of a bowler and the one bowler i have the most respect for. In fact I will go as far as saying that with out Mcgrath (and to a lesser extent Steven Roger Waugh whom i also highly respect) Australia would not be the world beating team that they are today. Really love those contests between him and Lara stuff of legends!!!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How on Earth can anyone possibly go for Walsh over Ambrose?
Only at the very end of their careers was Walsh as good as his partner.
As for McGrath, forget it - they're both better than him on a flat pitch, but I'd take McGrath and Ambrose equally a mile over pre-2000 Walsh on a seamer or uneven pitch.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Link said:
McGrath for me, how has Walsh only deserved 4 votes so far...?
Because McGrath and Ambrose were vastly superior bowlers until the very end of Walsh's career?