• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Plans for the rebuilding of Galle stadium announced

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
You would think that wouldn't you :p But maybe the continuation of cricket can umm provide...a sense of recovery from the tsunami.....

Deja moo

International Captain
cricket player said:
Ha,They should plan building those houses that were collapsed rather then the stadiums.
Maybe you should log off and study rather than get caught in the exams copying from pieces of paper.

dro87

U19 12th Man
Rebuilding the Galle stadium is a good thing for the Sri lankan economy, because test matches bring spectatores=turists which bring money into the country!

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
dro87 said:
Rebuilding the Galle stadium is a good thing for the Sri lankan economy, because test matches bring spectatores=turists which bring money into the country!
Yeah dro87 right since Test have been played in Galle, tourist has also increase in that region. Also i'm sure their rebuilding houses as well

cricket player

International Debutant
dro87 said:
Tourists how many of them?only a few people probably will come to watch the test match That wont make a difference,Tea is The main economy for Sri lanka and Sri lanka also a have beautifull spots,I totally disagree about cricket bringing tourists into the country,If it is a world cup then yeah for one match people wont come :)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
cricket player said:
Tourists how many of them?only a few people probably will come to watch the test match That wont make a difference,Tea is The main economy for Sri lanka and Sri lanka also a have beautifull spots,I totally disagree about cricket bringing tourists into the country,If it is a world cup then yeah for one match people wont come :)
As A Sri Lankan who was in Galle when the Aussies last played a Test at Galle, I have to dis agree.

The Test brought upto a thousand Aussies to Galle for a week or so !!

So tourism does flourish with Test Cricket !! And can be developed more if only the people who organise Cricket Tests and tourism promoters get together !!

dro87

U19 12th Man
cricket player said:
Cos my dad is Sri Lankan (from Vavunya) we went there for the last 2 years.. 2 years ago there was the English tour in Sri Lanka... I went 2 the SSC test and there were loads of englishmen... I'm pretty sure the bring lost of money... However Sri Lanka's main income come's from tea... but before the english invaders came Ceylon was the biggest importer of rice.. (dad told me!)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
GoT_SpIn said:
I belive tourists at the moment would be to afraid to go there...tsunami and all
That's always possible - although I know people who have just come back from The Maldives (I know it was nowhere near as badly affected). They asked my advice a couple of months before they went whether I thought it was the 'decent' thing to do or should they go elsewhere.

As to whether people would be afraid to go or not - it's the same mentality as those who stopped flying post September 11 2001. You either lie in the bottom of your hole and rot or you get on with your lives. If you're afraid to live, you're dead already. Tourism brings a sense of normality.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
JASON said:
As A Sri Lankan who was in Galle when the Aussies last played a Test at Galle, I have to dis agree.

The Test brought upto a thousand Aussies to Galle for a week or so !!

So tourism does flourish with Test Cricket !! And can be developed more if only the people who organise Cricket Tests and tourism promoters get together !!

Out of interest, how many Englishmen flew out last time we were there?

dro87

U19 12th Man
dro87 said:
Cos my dad is Sri Lankan (from Vavunya) we went there for the last 2 years.. 2 years ago there was the English tour in Sri Lanka... I went 2 the SSC test and there were loads of englishmen... I'm pretty sure the bring lost of money... However Sri Lanka's main income come's from tea... but before the english invaders came Ceylon was the biggest importer of rice.. (dad told me!)
as i told earlyer... lol! :p

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Out of interest, how many Englishmen flew out last time we were there?
Loads more than the Aussie tourists !!
In fact I met a guy from the Brmy Army who gifted me a Barmy Army T-shirt in exchange for my Sri Lankan Flag, who had stayed on in Galle from the previous England tour in December !! That's over 4 months. There were also people protesting the Windies Rip off because Windies Cricket board was charging English fans loads of money to attend tests in the Windies, which was happening at the same time.

Sri Lankan Tourism and Cricket Board look forward to English tours , because the English are the most friendliest of tourists and bring in loads of Foreign exchange to our country, because they normally travel as well around the country after the cricket, really have a good time !!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
You can thank the Barmy Army for that.

They've done a lot for the way fans go on tours, and it's great to see that other nations want them there!