• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is the Best Cricket Book you've Ever Read?

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
Is that the one with the foreword by John Arlott, and featuring such wonderful snippets as "The Average Match" where Teddy Average is given 'Out, Retired' for 100, caught off a tree, and containing that brilliant poem "The Extra Inch"?

I borrowed it from our school library in 1967.

I'd take it back if they hadn't pulled the school down.
Where did you school LE? I'm a John Fisher and Thommy More lad.

/derail

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pedro Delgado said:
Where did you school LE? I'm a John Fisher and Thommy More lad.

/derail
First secondary skool was a boarding school in Singapore - later Dover Grammar then QEGS Alford and finally Mundella GS in Snotts

a massive zebra

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
Is that the one with the foreword by John Arlott, and featuring such wonderful snippets as "The Average Match" where Teddy Average is given 'Out, Retired' for 100, caught off a tree, and containing that brilliant poem "The Extra Inch"?
Yes thats it - a marvellous collection of bits and pieces, packed full of wonderful treasurers. :)

luckyeddie said:
I borrowed it from our school library in 1967.

I'd take it back if they hadn't pulled the school down.
:laugh:

Demolition Man

State Vice-Captain
Dydl said:
I am only about ¾ of the way through it, Justin Langer's Power Of Passion. So far been really good...
I really found that book enjoyable, it's a very spiritual (not in a religious way) book. Conveys his full emotions, I could not put it down.

I got given a Glen McGrath Tour Diary , its a pretty sloppy read.

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
a massive zebra said:
Is this the book in which Fender claimed that Bradman would fail in England as he was "technically unsound and unwilling to learn"?
Just noticed this question. This was the first thread I posted on at CW, so was not sure what I was doing back then to be honest. Things have improved I hope :ph34r:

The answer to the question is Yes :)

I ended up reading the 'Dolly' bio since reading this thread, a great read.

amz I enjoyed your bio list, I have not read the Fred Trueman bio, will have to keep an eye out for it.

A great list and you still don't rate Dennis Lillee? oh well we can't have everything:) :ph34r: