• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 4th Test - England v India - Keep all Discussion Here Please!

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
I got a few questions for die hard english fans:

Irani is being touted as a replacement for flintoff. I have watched him a few times. He looks every bit a bits and pieces to me. Dont tell me abt his county stats. I looked it up already.

Is he really a allrounder at test class? I reckon it will be a stupid decision to bring him in. But i guess there is no choice. Wht do u guys think?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Very little.

You seem particularly concerned about the state of English all-rounders - we know we haven't got any worth talking about. Why do you ask? I have told you who is the best we have available, and all you do is gloat.

Anyway, my turn.

I have witnessed the future of Indian cricket today, and his name is Rayudu. 16 years old, and he looks twice the player Tendulkar was at the same age.

Discuss that!

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
Listen lucky...that was a genuine question. I read a article is Wisden and Cricketunlimited...and was wondering if this guy was any good thats all..

I am not gloating..show me where the hell i gloated abt englands lack of allrounders?

Infact i praise english players for thier performance.

If you dont have a answer apart from blind praise for cork dont post tripe.

I agree you are bitter cork has been cut to size...but doesnt mean i go belittling every english player. Read my other posts.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
If you dont have a answer apart from blind praise for cork dont post tripe.
I can think of several things to say - most of them ending in 'off'. Cork is the best available - full stop. Irani is, as you say, a useful bits and pieces player. He will, in all likelihood, play if Cork doesn't (and I don't believe for a second that Cork will play because, as you have so wisely said, he was slaughtered by the Indian batsmen throughout this series).

When I use the word 'wisely', I am being sarcastic. Cork played in the second test ONLY - remember? The one when he was injured? And took just 3 wickets? No, that is not an excuse. Look on it as an 'aide memoire'.

I think that all that has to be said on this subject has already been said, apart from:

My opinion is worth just as much as yours. You may well think that I spout tripe about Cork (have you ever read that I think that he is a great player? No, just the best we have available - I think a realistic assessment of the circumstances).

I actually think that your counter-arguments are less than worthy of the word 'intelligent' because you have not put forward one suggestion as to which English 'all roundish' who is available would do any better.

Now as far as my point re Rayudu - is he any good? He looked fabulous today.

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
Your post shows a lot of class...not.

I wasnt taking a dig abt english cricket. I saw irani perform quite a few times and i reckon he is a waste of place at this level in tests. But i wanted to know what die hard and knowledgeble (Clue: Not you most probably) english fans think of him.

I didnt mention cork as a possibilty coz

1. He is injured.
2. He was handled easily.

My take is if you dont have some one good...go for a sixth batsman like Ramprakash or Bell...or take a extra bowler.

Irani will not cut muster as a batsman...his bowling is just abt as good as ganguly. (In my Opinion...i can be wrong) Coz of white, flintoff, cork being injured...he is in with a chance.

Btw critics who know a lot more than you and me have said that Irani might a bad choice ...the last time a situation like this arised..he was picked and flopped big time.

I guess you still wont understand...anyway..i just had to make a try.

Rayudu:
I dont get to watch u16 and u19 matches in the US. So i cant say anything.

But let me get this straight. Players like sachin happen once in a generation. It was not just his skills...but also his temperament which made him this good. THere are have been quite a few players who shined at that age..but not many lasted.

But sweeping statements like "he is twice the player sachin was at that age" shows your stupidity. You never watched sachin play ranji trophy. And going by your views on flintoff, cork,tudor and others...i reckon you are not the best person to judge talent.

So...just dont get too riled up abt cork not being given any respect..coz...he is just a county bully now..cant resist this dig..heh

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Your signature says it all - everyone has an opinion (only I have a little more decorum and would put it slightly differently).

Cork is not injured.

He took 3-99 (I think).

Name one extra English bowler who is likely to do better. They may well get their chance.

To play an extra batsman is a technique likely to be adopted in Australia. Do you advocate Ramprakash because you wish to wind someone else up?

Regarding my comprehension of what you are saying, I understand quite well, but it would help me if you used less abbreviations, texting language and the like. Also, when you use someone's name, at least give them the respect of Capitalising the first letter. Remember, I am an old man (older and a heck of a lot wiser - maybe).

Rayudu:
I dont get to watch u16 and u19 matches in the US. So i cant say anything.
How much of the second test did you see, or did you watch it on teletext? An hour's highlights? Cork wasn't all bad.

But let me get this straight. Players like sachin happen once in a generation. It was not just his skills...but also his temperament which made him this good. THere are have been quite a few players who shined at that age..but not many lasted.
Hmmm, maybe I do you a disservice. That is so very true.

But sweeping statements like "he is twice the player sachin was at that age" shows your stupidity. You never watched sachin play ranji trophy. And going by your views on flintoff, cork,tudor and others...i reckon you are not the best person to judge talent.
No, I was wrong. You just got personal and abusive. I also never said he 'was' twice the player - just that he 'looked' twice the player. There is a difference, and it is based on one performance only. I only saw Tendulkar once when he was 16, but the class was there to see. I have seen them both, you haven't.

So...just dont get too riled up abt cork not being given any respect..coz...he is just a county bully now..cant resist this dig..heh
You can't resist it, but then again I'm not surprised.

Lay off the personal stuff, it is not necessary. I have said that some of your comments are unbecoming, unworthy, downright nasty even.

Now if you want me to get personal, I suggest that you respond off-list.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Irani was last picked long ago - he struggled/failed in ODIs and tests. He proved his worth in the ODIs in summer, now maybe in Tests. His bowling is better than Ganguly's - it is also better than Flintoff has managed this summer, add to the double ton he's got and why not? Possibly Blackwell, but he's more of an ODI man. Trophy call up - Good Choice!

Cork has been treated very badly by the selectors - a bit like Andy Bichel - so hasn't been able to prove himself properly at test level. And he has taken wickets this summer at least.

Rayudu did look impressive.

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
My signature
It was a quote by David coulthard.Not mine. I am find it so true. I wrote what he said. Shall we go pick up a issue with him? . Or shall i write Anal Orifice? will that maKe it classy? Get over it

I guess playing

Caddick
Hoggard
Tudor
Harmison will be effective with a extra batsman.

Do you advocate Ramprakash because you wish to wind someone else up?
Why do i need to wind up some one ? I say ramprakash coz he avg against aussies is good. I suggested bell too...why dont u kick up a storm over it ?

Also, when you use someone's name, at least give them the respect of Capitalising the first letter. Remember, I am an old man (older and a heck of a lot wiser - maybe).
I am not applying for a job. This is informal. You are just old...not a bit wise ..in my opinion.

Hmmm, maybe I do you a disservice. That is so very true.
Thanks

No, I was wrong. You just got personal and abusive. I also never said he 'was' twice the player - just that he 'looked' twice the player. There is a difference, and it is based on one performance only. I only saw Tendulkar once when he was 16, but the class was there to see. I have seen them both, you haven't.
Yes u were wrong. I didnt get personal. I called a stupid post what it was - stupid. I trashed your post not YOU.

yes based on one performance you call him twice as good as sachin....any credibility left for u?

I have seen enough of a 16 yr old sachin.

Now if you want me to get personal, I suggest that you respond off-list.
Why? I am not getting personal. I am only replyin to ur posts. You cant come up with a argument so you are doing a sensitive act now...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not sensitive at all - I am very thick-skinned. It's just that I am pedantic - I cannot help that and I certainly will not apologise for it.

I think carefully about what I want to say.

Two replies later, you continue to read what you want to read, not what is actually written.

All you have to say is 'I am sorry that I misinterpreted your comments and you are perfectly entitled to your opinions' and I will say 'no, sorry that I misinterpreted your comments and you are perfectly entitled to your opinions' and it's all over, done, dusted and we can get back to a meaningful discussion about anything you want..

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
Two replies later, you continue to read what you want to read, not what is actually written.
I cant read what u think. I read wht u write.

All you have to say is 'I am sorry that I misinterpreted your comments and you are perfectly entitled to your opinions' and I will say 'no, sorry that I misinterpreted your comments and you are perfectly entitled to your opinions' and it's all over, done, dusted
I post a view about cork. You dont agree. I post some facts. You post some. Then i post some more..."relevant" facts.

you go silent...then later on become hypersensitive

I ask a question if Irani was any good.
You ask me will i stop gloating..and ask me to go talk abt Rayudu.

Now how is it misintepreting ?

and we can get back to a meaningful discussion about anything you want..
I think this is still a meaningful discusion. Only thing is you getting all fussy...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't like one-on-ones.

That's what email is for.

No apology?

Fine.

Do one thing - please go back and read the entire thread in sequence.

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
This is not one on one. THis is a discussion. Any one can start posting their take too.

Email will be getting personal ;)...which u dont like.

Apology ? for what ?
for Being correct or for stating the obvious or for making you honest or for putting ur like for a player in the right perspective?

I dont mean to be hard on u. But thats the way it goes. You choose the wrong side and got burned.

And i am not fighting with u...just having a debate.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
You don't know the meaning of the word 'debate'.

I would be interested in knowing how many people agree with you.

Sorry, got to go now.

Will pick this one up in 24 hours.

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
You don't know the meaning of the word 'debate'.

I would be interested in knowing how many people agree with you.

Sorry, got to go now.

Will pick this one up in 24 hours.
Why do u want to know how many ppl agree with you ?
Cant you form your own opinion. One is either right or wrong...just coz 10 other ppl think u are right doesnt make u correct or wrong if they think other wise.

I certainly know the meaning of "debate". Just that i save the histrionics and dont throw the toys out of the pram if my views are proven wrong.

I think the best thing to do when a person makes a mistake is acknowledge it. Not go around posting justifications and crying out for support.

chris.hinton

International Captain
My test team

Robert Key
Michael Vaughan
Nasser Hussain
Alec Stewart
John Crawley
Mark Butcher
Dominic Cork
Simon Jones
Steven Harminson
Andy Caddick
Matthew Hoggard
Rikki Clarke
Ashley Giles

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Can we play 13 in the Ashes as well - may stand a chance then.
:D

Jones is out already, and there's no way Clarke will get in, he's not taken enough wickets.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
If Rikki Clarke plays on the strength of an average half season I will support Australia as it will be the final straw for Surrey bias.

LE/Scorpio - Keep to the topic please!

I tried to input about Irani/Rayudu and it got bypassed with repeats of previous posts from the both of you.

As for Rayudu - on the back of yesterday, his 177 off 114 today for another win at the death is incredible for an U19 - I wonder if we'll see him at the trophy (boycott or no boycott..)

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
Sure Neil...LE just got a little sensitive..hope a good nights sleep will make him feel better and come back and defend cork.. ;)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
How's about Ian Blackwell?

Called up for the ICC squad, he is a batter who bowls a bit (and I've advocated the use of a left-armer for ages).

800 runs, 20 wickets. A better option than Croft?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
(and I've advocated the use of a left-armer for ages).

800 runs, 20 wickets. A better option than Croft?
Giles is a left armer!

He's certainly a better bet than Croft. After Croft declined to tour India, he lost any chance of playing for England again IMO