• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World wicket keepers, your rankings.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
what i am proposing is for everyone to list all the wicket keepers from all the test nations in order of how you view their talent. The ordering of the list should be based on a combination of their batting and keeping and a conclusion is to be made on how you rate them on a combination of these attributes.
please refrain from either just rating keepers on batting or keeping alone as that would just confuse matters. another rule is that all the keepers on the list must be selected in the current test sides, so there will be no chris reads or dhonis please.

my list.
1) Gilchrist (australia)
2) Sangakarra (sri lanka)
3) Taibu (zimbabwe)
4) Mcullum (new zealand)
5) Boucher (south africa)
6) Jones (england)
7) Akmal (pakistan)
8) Karthik (india)
9) Browne (west indies)
10) (bangladesh :p dont know who their keeper is, apologies)

kendall

U19 Vice-Captain
sledger said:

my list.
1) Gilchrist (australia)
3) Taibu (zimbabwe)
4) Mcullum (new zealand)
6) Jones (england)
I would probably agree with that although maybe boucher should be higher he has been good for a long time. I havnt really seen anything of the others so i couldnt really comment on them

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
I fail to see why Taibu is rated so highly by so many people. Sure, he's got guts and has carried the Zimbabwean team in Streak's absence but I really don't think he is that good a player.
I would swap Boucher and Taibu around so my top five would be:

Gilchrist
Sangakkara
Boucher
McCullum
Taibu/Jones

sledger said:
what i am proposing is for everyone to list all the wicket keepers from all the test nations in order of how you view their talent. The ordering of the list should be based on a combination of their batting and keeping and a conclusion is to be made on how you rate them on a combination of these attributes.
please refrain from either just rating keepers on batting or keeping alone as that would just confuse matters. another rule is that all the keepers on the list must be selected in the current test sides, so there will be no chris reads or dhonis please.

my list.
1) Gilchrist (australia)
3) Taibu (zimbabwe)
4) Mcullum (new zealand)
6) Jones (england)
7) Akmal (pakistan)
8) Karthik (india)
9) Browne (west indies)
10) (bangladesh :p dont know who their keeper is, apologies)
I would say,

1 Gilli
2 Sang
3Boucher
4Jones
5Karthik
6Mcullum

a massive zebra

International Captain
Can't be bothered to write the order but Jones & Browne are terrible, Taibu & Boucher are the best Khaled Mashud isn't that bad.

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
As far as glovework goes, Boucher and Taibu probably tops..

Gilchrist is possibly the best player in the world though when you add his batting..

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
If he had a Healy-esque amount of batting talent his keeping would be more noticed. It's underrated. People find fault with it because they can't find any with his batting.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Smacks bias.
Yeah that's me; Mr Bias. Ask anyone. 8-)

Call me what you want or tell me I'm wrong but the amount of times I've defended/praised/said how much I like players from other teams and berated Aussie players when deserved, frankly I'm insulted that the accusation of bias has even been raised. Go take a very, very long walk off a very, very short pier.

Mr Mxyzptlk

LongHopCassidy said:
If he had a Healy-esque amount of batting talent his keeping would be more noticed. It's underrated. People find fault with it because they can't find any with his batting.
First off, Gilchrist is not a flawless batsman. Second, Gilchrist is a decent wicketkeeper. He is not the best wicketkeeper in the world.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Top_Cat said:
Yeah that's me; Mr Bias. Ask anyone. 8-)

Call me what you want or tell me I'm wrong but the amount of times I've defended/praised/said how much I like players from other teams and berated Aussie players when deserved, frankly I'm insulted that the accusation of bias has even been raised. Go take a very, very long walk off a very, very short pier.
That last statement is about as mature as me stating bias in the first place. 8-)
Perhaps I did jump the gun, but I refuse to believe that there is no better gloveman in the world than Gilchrist.

Top_Cat

That last statement is about as mature as me stating bias in the first place.
I never made accusations of immaturity nor did I infer maturity on my part; just that you're wrong.

Perhaps I did jump the gun, but I refuse to believe that there is no better gloveman in the world than Gilchrist.
Good on you, viva le free speech! Part and parcel of that is that there are people who are allowed to disagree with you, however. I say Gilly is the best going around and you think otherwise. Good for you. Saying I'm biased by virtue of the fact that both Gilchrist and I reside in the same country, particularly when bias has never been part of my general MO around here (open to being told otherwise; everyone?), is just childish and petulant. That's just my opinion but I would wager that you'd have more people agreeing with that than agreeing with you saying I'm biased.

Natman20

International Debutant
1)Gilchrist
2)Mcullum
3)Sangakarra
4)Boucher
5)Browne

Mcullum didn't have a very good season but he is a great player as we have seen on occasions

Scallywag

Banned
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
First off, Gilchrist is not a flawless batsman. Second, Gilchrist is a decent wicketkeeper. He is not the best wicketkeeper in the world.
Well dont keep us in suspense, who is?

Blaze

Banned
Top_Cat said:
1) Gilchrist
2) The rest

And that's ignoring Gilly's batting.

Thats a huge call... he is a decent wicket keeper..nothing outstanding. I have seen him drop catches but also take some rippers.

There is no standout IMO as far as wicketkeeping as a skill goes.

While Parore was playing he was very good and stood out for his keeping alone IMO but I can't say that about anyone these days