• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World wicket keepers, your rankings.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thats a huge call... he is a decent wicket keeper..nothing outstanding. I have seen him drop catches but also take some rippers.
I never said he was a "great" 'keeper per se, just the best currently going around. It says more about the standard overall than his 'keeping, really.

Blaze

Banned
Top_Cat said:
I never said he was a "great" 'keeper per se, just the best currently going around. It says more about the standard overall than his 'keeping, really.

Why don't you rate McCullum or Sangakarra?

mofo123

U19 12th Man
and if u think my last post was stupid...he has more dismissals then mccullum in less matches...more then sangakara...only boucher has more dismissals at the same stage...but ill put that down to the fact he played with pollock...:P and errr donald...akmal played with sami and co who dont seem to b as good as getting nicks;)

Blaze

Banned
mofo123 said:
and if u think my last post was stupid...he has more dismissals then mccullum in less matches...more then sangakara...only boucher has more dismissals at the same stage...but ill put that down to the fact he played with pollock...:P and errr donald...akmal played with sami and co who dont seem to b as good as getting nicks;)

A keeper can't really create a chance.. they can only take what is given to them.. fair enough they can convert half chances but the fact that he has more dismissals is realy irrelevant.

A good stat would be a catch/drop ratio

Top_Cat

Why don't you rate McCullum or Sangakarra?
In my view both are batsmen/keepers rather than the other way around. They're both solid glovemen who are well and truly Test standard but i put Gilly right at the top of glovemen today. Basically, I find it difficult to separate Sangakkara/McCallum/Boucher and the like because I think they're roughly of the same standard with small variations between all of them (some are slightly better at keeping to pacers, others to spinners, etc.). So yeah, they're mostly similar but for mine, Gilchrist is a level above all of them. Keeping to spinners, he seems a notch below Sangakkara but to pacers, other than an atrocious 2003/04, Gilchrist is above the other 'keepers in the world.

Not saying you or anyone is wrong, just justifying my opinion.

I must say I liked the look of Kamran Akmal, though. He can really keep and he can REALLY bat too. That hundred he got in the ODI here last season was a gem.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Top_Cat said:
I never made accusations of immaturity nor did I infer maturity on my part; just that you're wrong.
Fair enough. I was admitting immaturity on my part though.
Top_Cat said:
Good on you, viva le free speech! Part and parcel of that is that there are people who are allowed to disagree with you, however. I say Gilly is the best going around and you think otherwise. Good for you. Saying I'm biased by virtue of the fact that both Gilchrist and I reside in the same country, particularly when bias has never been part of my general MO around here (open to being told otherwise; everyone?), is just childish and petulant. That's just my opinion but I would wager that you'd have more people agreeing with that than agreeing with you saying I'm biased.
Hmmm.... Didn't I already say I was wrong to state bias?

C_C

International Captain
I wouldnt rate boucher that high...simply because he is a terrible keeper against spin.Gilly-Sangy is pretty much indisputable....

psxpro

Banned
As far as wicket keeping/batsman goes then there is no compariosion that gilly is the best.
No one is even close.

As far as just keeping goes, they are all pretty close.
Mccullum has been improving his keeping a lot.

Top_Cat

Hmmm.... Didn't I already say I was wrong to state bias?
You said 'maybe you jumped the gun' (paraphrasing). It's a little bit different and I think I can allow you the benefit of the doubt on this occasion.

:D

I wouldnt rate boucher that high...simply because he is a terrible keeper against spin.Gilly-Sangy is pretty much indisputable....
In which direction?

psxpro

Banned
C_C said:

I don't rate sangakarra's keeping highly, i think he is a good batsman but thats it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
1. Adam Gilchrist
2. Brendon McCullum
3. Mark Boucher
4. Geraint Jones
5. Kumar Sangakkara
6. Tatenda Taibu
7. Kamran Akmal
8. Khaled Mashud
9. Dinesh Karthick
10. Courtney Browne

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
gilchrist
sangakarra
mccullum
boucher
akmal
jones
taibu
browne
karthik
mashud

that's giving boucher a fair bit of leeway on the basis of past performances. and mccullum on potential. i found it really hard to separate 3-5.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Gilchrist
Sangakkara
Boucher
McCullum
Taibu
Akmal
Karthik
Browne
Mashud
Jones

For me, the top two are a cut above the rest, followed by the next three and then the last five all more or less even.

In terms of pure keeping, Gilchrist and Taibu are the best in my view, but as Taibu has never had to keep against quality spin it is hard to call him the best glovesman in the world. Boucher is quality, and Sangakkara is an excellent partner for Murali and I've been really impressed with what I've seen from him recently. Akmal is the best of the rest and certainly looks the good for the future. McCullum is a solid wicket keeper, as is Karthik. From what little I've seen of Mashud he's a very good keeper indeed, but not a particularly good batsman. Browne is a decent keeper and a below average batsman, and Jones is a terrible keeper and a good batsman.

In terms of batting, Gilchrist is a mile ahead, Sangakkara second. These two are batsmen in a true sense. After those two, there's McCullum, Taibu, Jones and Boucher about equal next, who are all very good batsmen who nevertheless with Taibu's exception because of the weakness of his side could not play as batsmen alond. Then there is Akmal and Karthick who have a good innings or two each so far and talent, but aren't proven as batsmen, and then Mashud and Browne a fair way back who are a touch better than your average tail ender.

C_C

International Captain
a year ago, i would've rated Ridley Jacobs and Rashid Latif as the clearcut #3 and #4.

Zinzan

FaaipDeOiad said:
Gilchrist
Sangakkara
Boucher
McCullum
Taibu
Akmal
Karthik
Browne
Mashud
Jones

For me, the top two are a cut above the rest, followed by the next three and then the last five all more or less even.

In terms of pure keeping, Gilchrist and Taibu are the best in my view, but as Taibu has never had to keep against quality spin it is hard to call him the best glovesman in the world. Boucher is quality, and Sangakkara is an excellent partner for Murali and I've been really impressed with what I've seen from him recently. Akmal is the best of the rest and certainly looks the good for the future. McCullum is a solid wicket keeper, as is Karthik. From what little I've seen of Mashud he's a very good keeper indeed, but not a particularly good batsman. Browne is a decent keeper and a below average batsman, and Jones is a terrible keeper and a good batsman.

In terms of batting, Gilchrist is a mile ahead, Sangakkara second. These two are batsmen in a true sense. After those two, there's McCullum, Taibu, Jones and Boucher about equal next, who are all very good batsmen who nevertheless with Taibu's exception because of the weakness of his side could not play as batsmen alond. Then there is Akmal and Karthick who have a good innings or two each so far and talent, but aren't proven as batsmen, and then Mashud and Browne a fair way back who are a touch better than your average tail ender.
Are you talking about batting or wicket keeping or both?

If your referring to keeping I totally disagree that Sangakkara is clearly 2nd best keeper. Definately 2nd best batsman but after watching the 2 tests again NZ, I thought sangakkara was a big disappointment behind the stumps. Before that series I would have agreed he was 2nd best. But now I think both Mccullum and Boucher are technically better keepers (batting aside)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
zinzan12 said:
Are you talking about batting or wicket keeping or both?

If your referring to keeping I totally disagree that Sangakkara is clearly 2nd best keeper. Definately 2nd best batsman but after watching the 2 tests again NZ, I thought sangakkara was a big disappointment behind the stumps. Before that series I would have agreed he was 2nd best. But now I think both Mccullum and Boucher are technically better keepers (batting aside)
The list was both, then I elaborated on each.

To make it simpler:

Overall
Gilchrist
Sangakkara
---------
Boucher
McCullum
Taibu
---------
Akmal
Karthik
Browne