• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World wicket keepers, your rankings.

Xuhaib

International Coach
HowsThat said:
Akmal is not yet of Dhoni's class. Dhoni is among the top 5 batsmen in OD cricket already!!
Have you been living in a hole for the last six months?. Akmal has easily been the best wicketkeeper-batsman in these last few months.

RolledOver

U19 Debutant
No offence, but i think in OD Akmal has been struggling badly lately.

As far as OD is concerned, Dhoni remains the most destructive player .

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
RolledOver said:
No offence, but i think in OD Akmal has been struggling badly lately.

As far as OD is concerned, Dhoni remains the most destructive player .
self destructive yes, hes not even the best keeper in indian side, batting or keeping

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
sledger said:
no he isnt, hes not a good player in any form of the game.
Although I realise you're replying to a biased post, how has Dhoni not been an excellent ODI player in his career thus far?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
although hayden is vastly overated i would say hes worthy of being called a "test" player, dhoni is not, he does not have the ability or the mentality to achieve this capacity.

Dasa

sledger said:
although hayden is vastly overated i would say hes worthy of being called a "test" player, dhoni is not, he does not have the ability or the mentality to achieve this capacity.
...and you would've made this judgment by watching Dhoni play in a total of one series?

RolledOver

U19 Debutant
sledger said:
im not saying he hasnt been succesful, he just isnt a good player.
Oh i see, he has been successful , so much so that he is ranked among the top five batsmen of the world in OD ICC ranking, yet he isn't a good player!

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Dasa said:
...and you would've made this judgment by watching Dhoni play in a total of one series?
no, i have made this judgement after following his progress since his debut.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
RolledOver said:
Oh i see, he has been successful , so much so that he is ranked among the top five batsmen of the world in OD ICC ranking, yet he isn't a good player!
yes, precisely.

Dasa

sledger said:
...and what is it about his performance that makes you think he's not a good player in ODIs?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
regardless of his performance in ODIs my main claim is that he is not deserving of being a test player. AS for ODIs hes like a watered down version of Afridi, he reminds me very much of Ian Blackwell, if talent amounts to hitting the ball as hard as you can, then fine he has buckets of it, but his mentality and technique are poor, he should bnever have played test cricket.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
sledger said:
Ah yes I can see how that happened. After following him since his debut n ODI cricket its pretty simple to see why you wouldn't rate him.

I mean after he smashed 183* chasing a 300+ total, batting at 3 and facing quality ODI bowlers like Murali and Vaas, and with Tendulkar already back in the shed I can understand why he wouldn't be rated highly.

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005-06/SL_IN_IND/SCORECARDS/SL_IND_ODI3_31OCT2005.html

Then, as you continued to follow his career, you saw him play the 3rd ODI against Pakistan, again chasing. This time he had come in at 7 with almost over 7 runs an over required and all the momentum with Pakistan. He walks out, smashes 72* off 46, wins India the game with 3.2 overs remaining. I can totally see your POV, nothing special there.

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005-06/IND_IN_PAK/SCORECARDS/IND_PAK_ODI3_13FEB2006.html

Then there was of course his last ODI knock before the England tour began. Once again, India chasing, again another large total. Again he's come out to bat with 6+ rpo required. This time granted there is far less pressure than the previous 2 knocks mentioned as there are only 2 wickets down when he arrives at the crease and 141 runs already on the board, but with India requiring 6rpo for over 20 overs, Pakistan were in the game. Along with Yuvraj, Dhoni decimates Pakistan hitting 77* off 56.

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005-06/IND_IN_PAK/SCORECARDS/IND_PAK_ODI5_19FEB2006.html

I see a pattern here. Dhoni
1) A scores a lot of runs
2) At a very fast rate
3) When they count and when the team needs them, i.e he's a pressure player
4) Doesn't go out when he scores these runs

Criticise his test batting all you like, criticise his keeping all you like, and even mention that he's yet to play ODI cricket outside the sub-continent (bar Zimbabwe), but to claim you've come to the conclusion he's not a good ODI player by following his career is so stupid its ludicrous. He averages 53.95 for Christ's sake.
sledger said:
regardless of his performance in ODIs my main claim is that he is not deserving of being a test player. AS for ODIs hes like a watered down version of Afridi, he reminds me very much of Ian Blackwell, if talent amounts to hitting the ball as hard as you can, then fine he has buckets of it, but his mentality and technique are poor, he should bnever have played test cricket.
You said, and very purposely I might add, that he's no good in both forms of the game. He plays nothing like Afridi. He doesn't go out in ODIs very often, and he guides his team to victory by playing intelligently.

Honestly did you watch a single ODI he played against SL and Pakistan recently.