• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Black Caps generic thread

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, that didn't get much media attention at all!

Anyone know when Astle starts his stint with Durham?

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
Good to see Adams and Styris in the wickets, and Fleming making some much needed runs. Also good to see McCullum and Vettori named in the 30-player World XI, although they're both very unlikely to play I would think.

From the blackcaps.co.nz site:

McMillan has signed a short-term contract to play English county cricket for Hampshire as cover for Australian Simon Katich when he joins the Australian team for the Ashes. McMillan will make his Hampshire debut on May 30 in a one-day game against Northamptonshire, and he will play his last match on July 26.

I think the Zimbabwe tour isn't until September... which seems an eternity away if you're not into rugby!

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting to see Astle slot straight in as a FC opener for Durham, a direct replacement in the side for Hussey. Not sure if that's only because they're playing university kids or not.

Otherwise it will no doubt fuel the wacky "Astle should open in tests!!" theory we sometimes see on CW. Hopefully there's enough accurate new ball bowlers around to give his 'playing around the front pad' problem a decent workout with a swinging duke ball.

McMillan starts tomorrow for Hampshire I think, a decision that still baffles me when I read about Hamish Marshall still looking for a stint. Even though the Rose Bowl is regarded as a poor track and we all know Marshall's record, Hampshire's effectively replaced one of the most reliable batsmen in the world (Katich) with one of the least.

I guess that could be the result of 20/20 becoming the tail that wags the dog over there. Anyone who can murder B-grade seamers and spinners and bowl a bit of tidy medium-pace might just become the toast of the town.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
A quick summary of county stats for the BC-eligible Kiwis so far.....

FC:

Fleming - 486 runs @ 69.4.

Styris - 180 runs @ 22.5,
19 wickets @ 20.8.

Adams - 27 runs @ 13.5,
16 wickets @ 28.2.

Astle - 76 runs @ 38,
3 wickets @ 12.3.

OD:

Fleming - 134 runs @ 26.8.

Styris - 54 runs @ 13,
11 wickets @ 21.7 (ER 5.12).

Adams - 0 runs @ -,
4 wickets @ 11.3 (ER 3.46).

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Looks like a pretty solid return thus far, aside from Styris continuing to struggle to score runs.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting to see that in the Durham v Durham UCCE, Tony Hill from NZ was one of the Umpires.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
I think Tony's got one of the England - Bangladesh tests. We know him quite well - mainly from soccer - and I think I remember him saying he had a test match soon.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Macka said:
I think the Zimbabwe tour isn't until September... which seems an eternity away if you're not into rugby!
Just stumbling across an article on cricinfo, it looks like NZ might head there in early August. It also looks like our OD side (whoever we end up sending) will face a team that can actually play, namely India.

So much for Shane Bond's 'welcome back!' platter. :)

http://content.cricinfo.com/zimbabwe/content/story/208795.html

New Zealand are scheduled to play two Tests against ZImbabwe before the tri-series, which is slated to begin on August 26.

Proposed itinerary:

Aug 25: India arrives in Bulawayo
Aug 26: Zim vs NZ, 1st ODI, Bulawayo
Aug 28: Ind vs NZ, 2nd ODI, Bulawayo
Aug 31: Zim vs Ind, 3rd ODI, Harare
Sept 2: Zim vs NZ, 4th ODI, Harare
Sept 4: Ind vs NZ, 5th ODI, Harare
Sept 6: Zim vs Ind, 6th ODI, Harare
Sept 9: Final, Harare

Sept 11-13: Warm-up game, Mutare
Sept 17-21: Zim vs Ind, 1st Test, Bulawayo
Sept 25-29: Zim vs Ind, 2nd Test, Harare

Last edited:

shaka

International Regular
Some (or most) are playing in England for various clubs so hopefully they will be match fit.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
How would you use Jacob Oram in the side? Maybe bat at seven in Tests and bowl a big chunk of overs, first-change. His ODI batting is not flattering- an average of less than 20 and just three scores over 50 in 70 matches, but decent bowling figures. I have noticed, Scott Styris batted at positions 8 and 9 for his first 30 matches, and did little of note with the bat, but seems to have batted well since his promotion to the top seven.