• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Black Caps generic thread

Ming

State 12th Man
James Marshall has always been an opener in his life, and has said before he prefers opening the innings. I have no problems about him opening in Tests. A few of you are saying he's better in the middle order on the basis of him scoring a few 50s in a row in the summer. Although his record opening isn't that flash, he has scored a 200 before as an opener. So he certainly has the ability to succeed in that position.

Good to see Patel being rewarded for some fine bowling in the State Shield.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Will Scarlet said:
What is the point of playing full strength team to ZIM? We'd thrash them with a third-string team. Where are Fulton & Papps? Why is Adams not given another run in the test team on this dud tour? His bowling is better that Mill's.
You won't find England or Australia playing a less-than-full-strength team against the minnows, and they are the best teams around. They believe that it's best to get the team used to working together as a unit against both good and bad.

And why do you want your senior players to be used only to losing matches and leave the winning to second-stringers who won't play against serious opponents? Winning is something you have to get used to if you're to do it more often.

Cheers,

Mike

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
badgerhair said:
You won't find England or Australia playing a less-than-full-strength team against the minnows, and they are the best teams around. They believe that it's best to get the team used to working together as a unit against both good and bad.

And why do you want your senior players to be used only to losing matches and leave the winning to second-stringers who won't play against serious opponents? Winning is something you have to get used to if you're to do it more often.
Australia took a very weak team to ZIM on the last tour, if I remember correctly. And then they only ended up playing ODIs?

I doubt that the senior players can take very much away from beating what are teams no better than mid table provincial teams. Therefore, I believe that giving young guys a go at test level is more beneficial to NZ cricket - despite the fact the games will be a false representation of test cricket.

I do acknowledge the potential for negative mindset from losing, but if these are the only teams we can beat then there is something seriously wrong with the current squad.

I just don't want another wasted series that produces no new players and leaves us short through injuries come the SA tour. Much like what happened in the home-away AUS series.

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think you have to put it down to the fact that a new selection panel has come in.
There was no way that they were going to make bolt selections for their first series in charge of selecting.

If some players play well in the Academy & A series & Zimbabwe actually do make it here in December then we could see a few changes.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Would you keep Jacob Oram in the ODI side? He's not too bad with the ball, but nothing out of the ordinary, while he's not been scoring too many runs.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Will Scarlet said:
Australia took a very weak team to ZIM on the last tour, if I remember correctly. And then they only ended up playing ODIs?

I doubt that the senior players can take very much away from beating what are teams no better than mid table provincial teams. Therefore, I believe that giving young guys a go at test level is more beneficial to NZ cricket - despite the fact the games will be a false representation of test cricket.

I do acknowledge the potential for negative mindset from losing, but if these are the only teams we can beat then there is something seriously wrong with the current squad.

I just don't want another wasted series that produces no new players and leaves us short through injuries come the SA tour. Much like what happened in the home-away AUS series.
What's with the obsession with new players?

NZ have picked enough players in the last two or three series to last them for ages if they can ever manage to assemble eleven of them fit at the same time.

The opening spots aren't yet filled convincingly, but the middle order already presents quart into pint pot problems with Fleming, Hamish Marshall, Astle, Vincent, Oram and Styris fighting over five spots, unless one or more of them open since you've also got to fit McCullum, Martin, Vettori and Bond in. After that, you've already got Franklin, Wiseman, Mills, Wilson, and if one good reserve batsman isn't enough, then there's always the dubious McMillan if you get desperate.

The Zim series offers the first opportunity in ages for the genuine first-choice first XI to play together as a unit. If that XI can stay fit and play together for a decent run, they have the makings of a pretty good team, and having a work-out on the field against the Zimbos ought to be mildly useful practice before facing tougher opposition.

It was noticeable that taking a bundle of wickets against Bangladesh did wonders for Vettori's confidence after a pretty lean period for him following injury difficulties. There are several other instances of players from other countries re-establishing some touch against the minnows, so don't knock it. Worrying about them getting injured strikes me as somewhat simlar to the attitude of some England fans who didn't lie it when England beat Australia because they thought it would awaken the sleeping giant and provoke elemental wrath. Unless you take the positive attitude that playing is better than not playing and winning is more fun than losing and winning well is even more fun

It's not obvious to me that South Africa should beat the first-choice NZ team. South Africa have no spinner worth the name and have a couple of holes in their batting order. With Vettori at nine, NZ bat a long way down even though their openers are weak and they have a wider range of bowling options. It's fairly easy to conceive of pitches on which NZ would hold the advantage and ought to win. I wouldn't make NZ favourites to win the series or anything, but it wouldn't be a massive upset if they did.

NZ do not need new players. They need to get their best eleven on the field on a regular basis, not fanny about with people who aren't yet needed.

Cheers,

Mike

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Just in case anyone is interested, a few NZer's are playing in my local leagues- here are their stats so far

Lou Vincent - I 12 NO 2 HS 110 Runs 281 Ave 28.10
O 114.1 Mds 20 Rns 393 Wks 26 Ave 15.12

Paul Wiseman I 8 NO 2 HS 59 Runs 135 Ave 22.5
O 102.5 Mds 17 Runs 345 W 25 Ave 13.8

Neil Broome I 11 NO 1 HS 89 Runs 247 Ave 24.7
O 58.0 Mds 4 Runs 290 W 4 Ave 72.5

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
superkingdave said:
Just in case anyone is interested, a few NZer's are playing in my local leagues
On that note, a mate of mine was having a chat with the Middx chief exec the other day, and said worthy opined that Styris is the most useful overseas player we've had in years. Given that "in years" covers both Langer and Phlegming, that's pretty high praise.

To be fair, this is probably based on the fact that Middx have been winning a lot of one-dayers for the first time since about 1988, and Styris's performances in those forms of the game have been little short of stellar, whereas he has only really been adequate in the championship (Phlegming was woeful in the one-day stuff and Langer only adequate, while both excelled in the first-class game).

Cheers,

Mike

Natman20

International Debutant
Arjun said:
Would you keep Jacob Oram in the ODI side? He's not too bad with the ball, but nothing out of the ordinary, while he's not been scoring too many runs.
Hes a game winner and a great all-rounder. I see no reason why he should not be in the ODI side, he'll only make it better

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Tim said:
The Labour Government won't be in power by then so it could still happen.
Sorry to break the no politics thing but I saw on the news last night that Don Brash has said if National win Zimbabwe won't be touring

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Arjun said:
Yes he should stay there. I know his batting stats in particular are not good but I think there are a couple of explanations for this:

1) He did not have the greatest start in ODIs - his first year or two was very bad IIRC
2) He bats quite low down the order, so has had few chances to score heavily. IMO the success we've had over the last year or two is due to our top order batsmen (especially Fleming) scoring - not due to our allrounders which everyone usually seems to attribute to our success. Our bowlers (of which Oram is an important one) have been restricting the opposition to reasonable scores, and then our batsmen have chased them easily. When we have batted first often Oram will only come in in the last 10 overs or so and just have to try and slog and as a result has got out cheaply.

Oram's true ability with the bat has been shown by his test record so far. In ODIs his bowling has been far more important and I would rank Oram second only to Bond in our ODI pace bowling stocks. He is also a very good fielder in the gully/point areas

bradman2005

Cricket Spectator
shaka said:
Foreign minister says Zim may not be allowed to tour NZ in December , but dependant on election here in NZ. As a side note, I am hoping National win
Why dont the politics just stay out of sport the greens and their friends saying that we shouldnt go but what the hell do they know about cricket,do they know that nz cricket along with all cricket nations signed a contract that ment that we have to tour all cricket nations,the politicians dont care about cricket because if we didnt go we would be fined and nz cricket cant afford to be fined if they were fined cricket would proberly die in nz because we simply cant afford it if it wasnt election year then they wouldnt care

shaka

International Regular
Phil Goff has got into agreement with Australia and the UK to appeal to the ICC to suspend all matches involving Zimbabwe.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
bradman2005 said:
Why dont the politics just stay out of sport the greens and their friends saying that we shouldnt go but what the hell do they know about cricket,do they know that nz cricket along with all cricket nations signed a contract that ment that we have to tour all cricket nations,the politicians dont care about cricket because if we didnt go we would be fined and nz cricket cant afford to be fined if they were fined cricket would proberly die in nz because we simply cant afford it if it wasnt election year then they wouldnt care
That has to be the longest sentence I've seen in a while...98 words!

And politics never has and never will stay out of sport

Retox

State Vice-Captain
Oram has to stay in the ODI team did anyone catch the top ten ECO Odi bowlers in ODIs lately... Oram was on the list. It showed it in the Aus VS Banga match

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Natman20 said:
Hes a game winner and a great all-rounder. I see no reason why he should not be in the ODI side, he'll only make it better
Even though he's not performing that well?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
shaka said:
Phil Goff has got into agreement with Australia and the UK to appeal to the ICC to suspend all matches involving Zimbabwe.
How come they wait till now to support it...

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
if you're referring to NZ? then it is election year here in NZ and the Government are perhaps seeking to be a bit more pro-active than usual!