• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Black Caps generic thread

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Tim said:
What the heck is Jeetan Patel doing there ahead of Bruce Martin?
Patel is a better ODI prospect, I reckon. Bruce Martin's a definite test back-up option alongside Wiseman.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Will Scarlet said:
Yet another wasted opportunity to blood new players against a poor opposition - just like the BAN tour last year. And I'm talking about both the test and ODI sides. It appears that nothing has changed in the selection policies, despite the change of selectors. Not surprising though, Nash was only a half-decent player for NZ!

What is the point of playing full strength team to ZIM? We'd thrash them with a third-string team. Where are Fulton & Papps? Why is Adams not given another run in the test team on this dud tour? His bowling is better that Mill's.
But what exactly would taking them prove?

Absolutely nothing.

sportychic33

State 12th Man
been a while since i have posted. . .
great to see oram and bondy back for the tour to Zimbabwe. Andre Adams, is probably there as a precaution in case Oram breaks down, I doubt that Adams will really get much game time, if Oram is ok.
Good to see Jeetan Patel in the team, i recall (though at the moment my memory is crammed with other junk - so don't slaughter me if i'm wrong) that Patel bowled pretty well for Wellington in the final overs when the pressure was on in the State Sheild. I think patel was picked before Martin because isn't Martin injured??

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
I'd have thought that at 29, Adams is past the "showing potential" time.
What I mean by that is we haven't seen the best of what Adams can offer in international cricket. Hence, he has potential.

Last edited:

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
bradman2005 said:
Um i dont think that they are the wrong players,well i think that they are the right players
the nz selectors have stuffed around with test match openers to much in the past i would like to see Cumming and J Marshall given a decent go so we can establish some consistancy at the top of the order

I think Cumming is in the mould of Richardson
and Marshall looks like a potentialy dynamic player so they are good selection
Voltman said:
Why do we want to "blood new players''? We struggle enough to get a settled combination on the field for three consecutive games. Get the strongest team on the pitch and be done with it. I think this a rebuilding tour with the resources they've already got and players like Oram and Bond returning...
I agree to an end that the guys chosen do need to be given an extended run in the team. I'm just not certain about whether James Marshall or Cumming are the guys for the job. I've never really rated Cumming, even though he's from the mighty city of Dunedin and seems a good bloke. James Marshall's selection seems to be another attempt at a middle-order batsman moving to open. I know he's opened the innings before in domestic 4-day games, but he wasn't outstanding. Basically, I'm not convinced he's an opener.

In saying that, part of me hopes I'm completely mistaken.

shaka

International Regular
We can only wait and see about Marshall's (J) opening for the black caps. I am hoping he does well.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
What I'm most worried about is players getting picked in the future on the basis of the performances against Zimbabwe. In all probability we will thrash them from one end of the country to the other and our players should all get some healthy average-boosting from this tour. This is especially true for players like McMillan...no doubt if he does well he will stay in the team for another year at least.

Natman20

International Debutant
Sir Redman said:
What I'm most worried about is players getting picked in the future on the basis of the performances against Zimbabwe. In all probability we will thrash them from one end of the country to the other and our players should all get some healthy average-boosting from this tour. This is especially true for players like McMillan...no doubt if he does well he will stay in the team for another year at least.
I wouldn't underestimate Zimbabwe. Just look what happened to Australia a few days ago.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Natman20 said:
I wouldn't underestimate Zimbabwe. Just look what happened to Australia a few days ago.
I suppose it's possible that Zimbabwe could pull off an upset in the ODIs, especially with Streak back, but I can't see them winning a test against anyone at the moment (except Bangladesh)

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
Stoked that Craig Cumming got a contract. He deserves it for sticking at the game for so long. He let himself down in the tests against AUS and Sri Lanka and knows it. He got exposed to some degree but will bounce back.

Craig

World Traveller
Natman20 said:
If they do, they should be made to pay their own airfares back home and shot.

Chubb

International Regular
Zimbabwe won't beat us. Bangladesh are clearly superior to them, sad as that is. They may be a little more competitive with guys like Heath, the Bligman, Big Trevor and Wishy but not much more.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Well it looks as though our tour of Zimbabwe will go ahead, though according to some reports I've read today (like this one) there are suggestions that the return trip will not go ahead.

shaka

International Regular
Foreign minister says Zim may not be allowed to tour NZ in December , but dependant on election here in NZ. As a side note, I am hoping National win

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well we probably shouldn't be discussing this here. As we all know, politics can be a touchy subject at times.