• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Woolmer on Afridi!!

nehrafan

Banned
In one of the interviews Woolmer claimed that S Afridi is the most talented cricketer that Woolmer has EVER SEEN in his entire life :blink:

Obviously thats far from true.

But the real qs is that , is afridi finally in the game to stay and has improved? or is he just enjoying a lucky run on flat pitches?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
nehrafan said:
In one of the interviews Woolmer claimed that S Afridi is the most talented cricketer that Woolmer has EVER SEEN in his entire life :blink:

But the real qs is that , is afridi finally in the game to stay and has improved? or is he just enjoying a lucky run on flat pitches?
A combination of flat pitches, poor bowling and good slogging.

Woolmer = Pakistan coach.

He i sbound to say good things about his players when they do well. If the opposing captain say Ganguly(Ooppps), I mean Dravid said some thing, it would be news.

masterblaster

International Captain
Woolmer would probably know what he's talking about. There is no question Afridi has a bucketload of talent, its just that he lacks patience, persistance and sometimes cricketing intellect to really make it big. But when it comes off and it's his day, nobody can stop him with bat, ball or field.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think him playing in the late middle order was the best that could have happened to him. That way, it absolves him of all responsibility and the only thing he looks to do while batting is to smash the ball as hard as he can, without a care in the world, as he is more of a bowling allrounder in ODIs outside the subcontinent. And within the subcontinent, esp. against India who have an one dimensional pace attack, him opening is a great great option.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
nehrafan said:

Why would it be? He has as much talent as Marc has posts, it`s just that the application isn`t always there.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
masterblaster said:
Woolmer would probably know what he's talking about. There is no question Afridi has a bucketload of talent, its just that he lacks patience, persistance and sometimes cricketing intellect to really make it big. But when it comes off and it's his day, nobody can stop him with bat, ball or field.
How many shots does he play ?

deeps

International 12th Man
Pratyush said:
He i sbound to say good things about his players when they do well.
actually i read this interview before the tour of india, and i think it was even before the tour of australia, or somewhere in the middle of that.

The guy has bucketloads of talent, needs patience

masterblaster

International Captain
I find it ironic how a fan of Ashish Nehra can continously downgrade the Pakistani cricketers. As an Indian fan, i'm quite appauled. It's people like nehrafan who never let the constant bickering between India and Pakistan go.

We've all moved on now, and peace and appreciation of one another is the new flavour.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
nehrafan said:

For sheer natural talent alone as opposed to the results achieved...doesn't sound like Woolmer's that far off the mark.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Whatever one says Afridi was one player who made the difference when it mattered most. in the 3rd test Affers knock was the one which put India on the backfoot and gave Pakistan enough time to bowl India out.

In the 5th ODI Affers once again demoralized Indian bowling and from there it was no way India was going to win the 6th ODI.

Duncan

U19 Debutant
I think he has PLENTY of talent. It annoys me when they say he's just an idiot who swings the bat at everything that gets bowled to him. It takes enormous talent to do what he does, you have to have powerful forears and wrists... good hand-eye coordination... good placement... and you do need to be a bit crazy and full of testosterone.

Swervy

International Captain
nehrafan said:

So does that mean when ever Woolmer played vs Viv richards, he just closed his eyes, so he didnt see him.

Afridi is the best slogger I have seen(although I am convinced Lance cairns was a better slogger), he obviously has a good eye for good the ball, but jeez, Woolmer is talking utter tripe if thats what he says

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Duncan said:
I think he has PLENTY of talent. It annoys me when they say he's just an idiot who swings the bat at everything that gets bowled to him. It takes enormous talent to do what he does, you have to have powerful forears and wrists... good hand-eye coordination... good placement... and you do need to be a bit crazy and full of testosterone.
He does indeed have an excellent eye and supreme hand-eye coordination. Most of the balls that he picks to belt for six are testament to this. The sooner he realizes that not even Richards could hit every ball to the boundary and beyond, the better for his development.

tooextracool

International Coach
masterblaster said:
if woolmer thinks that hes the most talented hes ever seen, he hasnt seen too many players. as brilliant as afridi was this series, he still managed to average a lot under 40.

tooextracool

International Coach
Duncan said:
to do what he does, you need talent, but you dont need a brain. and i think thats what whoever said that probably meant.