• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Australia contracts 05-06

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Tait might get a game in the ODIs since he he is on the tour. Obviously they already have four quicks to choose from through, so it's hard to say. He will definately play in the tour matches, as will Watson, Hodge, Lee and so on. Lee will play in the ODI games, but won't play a test barring injury unless Kasprowicz continues his New Zealand form in the first couple of tests and Lee dominates in the ODIs and tour matches.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Josh said:
WOOOOHOOO!!

MICKY LEWIS!! Will never play for Australia, but still... WOOT!!
i'm not so sure about that mate, he has been improving of late so ya never know

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
I was surprised that Damien Wright didn't get a contract, be in pretty good form this season and has played for the A Team more then Lewis. You would think that he would be closer to the national team, when you add his batting and fielding then Lewis, but i guess it was a line ball decision and i think that Lewis is slightly younger then Wright.
yeah me too, but has the selectors say those non-contracted players could still be selected & i for one think he is the kinda player who could fit into the aussie ODI team quite well, especially with the WC just around the corner

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
Maybe that just shows the lack of spin bowling depth in Australia outside Warne and MacGill
no depth, but lots of potential with the likes of cullen, casson, white, doherty & even though he has gone off the boil hauritz

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Tastigersfan said:
It is a fair enough squad and I think those cut have passed the time they are likely to play for Australia again. However I will say that Cullen is lucky to be promoted so early and would like to have seen him back his first year up with another solid one before he was awarded a contract.

James Hopes.... does anyone think he will make an impact at the top level, maybe as economical bowler in one day cricket but I don’t think he will play that many games particularly if Shane Watson stays fit.
Hopes could still get a chance, ireckon he will be in the WC sqaud in 2 years time since escpecially Hogg could be in his last year with the aussie team & the next set of all-rounders in contention would be Hopes & white

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
It doesn't matter if he's any good or not. He is one of the significant batsmen in the side, and he is called on to bowl almost every match and his side relies on him to take wickets. Hence, he is an all-rounder. Whether he is a good one or not is a different issue.
definately..., but white did come unto the seen has the next young spin talent, but since he has become victoria captain his bowling has been that effective, he his more a batting/all-rounder, lets hope victoria's coaches realise quicky that they should get white bowling back to potential soon cause he surely has a big future

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
I suspect Tait will have a significant role in the Ashes series for the Aussies, with Lee !!
dont see tait playing much in the test bar injury so dont know how significant his role could be while, Lee could well & surpass Kaspa into the test side

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
no depth, but lots of potential with the likes of cullen, casson, white, doherty & even though he has gone off the boil hauritz
Potentail doesn't equal depth, England have potential in Swann, Batty, Brown etc but that doesn't equal depth. Also i would put Krejza in front of all of them except Cullen.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
chaminda_00 said:
Potentail doesn't equal depth, England have potential in Swann, Batty, Brown etc but that doesn't equal depth. Also i would put Krejza in front of all of them except Cullen.
Why? He hardly gets a game, let alone a bowl for N.S.W.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Why? He hardly gets a game, let alone a bowl for N.S.W.
The only reason he doesn't get a game is cus MacGill plays for NSW, but he would walk into any other side in Australia.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
krezja surely has a fair bit more to prove before he can pronounce himself above his contemporaries.

DJ Cullen: 43 wickets @ 30.37
CL White: 88 wickets @ 35.25
B Casson: 46 wickets @ 38.80
JJ Krezja: 12 wickets @ 40.75
NM Haurtitz: 59 wickets @ 47.30
XJ Doherty: 51 wickets @ 52.58

chaminda_00 said:
The only reason he doesn't get a game is cus MacGill plays for NSW, but he would walk into any other side in Australia
alright. using the term "would walk into" connotes that he would do it with ease. tell me who you'd drop from each state side for an unproven player like krezja?

On the basis that each time only wants to pick one spinner, WA would still stick with casson, and hogg would be in front of him too.

Even if you don't rate White, Krezja still wouldn't get picked ahead of him. Cullen has it all over him, and on the few occasions that Tasmania play a spinner, Doherty has done a reasonable job, considering he plays on (arguably) the most batsman friendly track in Australia. Still, he probably would make the Tassie team.

Queensland seem pretty enraptured with Ryan Le Loux, but overall are best off with 4 pace bowlers, especially when they are all class....wait, he might get a game for ACT. Actually, even Mark Hatton has it all over him at this stage.

I'm not saying that Krezja is no good, in fact I believe quite the opposite, but to say something like "he would walk into any other side in Australia" is overestimate of his standing in Australian cricket.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
This season this a greater indictaion:
B Casson: 11 wkts @ 40.36
J Krejza: 12 wkts @ 40.75
D Cullen: 43 wkts @ 30.37
C White: 19 wkts @ 39.73
X Doherty: 16 wtks @ 63.68
N Haurtiz: 6 wkts @ 96

The only bowlers that have out performanced him are Cullen and White slightly, but he is on a downward spiral when it comes to bowling. Add to that his decent lower order batting he would make any other side in Australia.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
alright. using the term "would walk into" connotes that he would do it with ease. tell me who you'd drop from each state side for an unproven player like krezja?

On the basis that each time only wants to pick one spinner, WA would still stick with casson, and hogg would be in front of him too.

Even if you don't rate White, Krezja still wouldn't get picked ahead of him. Cullen has it all over him, and on the few occasions that Tasmania play a spinner, Doherty has done a reasonable job, considering he plays on (arguably) the most batsman friendly track in Australia. Still, he probably would make the Tassie team.

Queensland seem pretty enraptured with Ryan Le Loux, but overall are best off with 4 pace bowlers, especially when they are all class....wait, he might get a game for ACT. Actually, even Mark Hatton has it all over him at this stage.

I'm not saying that Krezja is no good, in fact I believe quite the opposite, but to say something like "he would walk into any other side in Australia" is overestimate of his standing in Australian cricket.
Well why do you only need to have two spin bowlers:
- Victoria: with White batting at six and his bowling going down hill he would be good addition as a second spinners, infront of one of their under performing fast bowlers
- South Australia: Well they play two spiners last season and their is no reason why he wouldn't get infront of Bailey when you his batting
- West Australia: Hogg infront of both. but when his on national dutyi would say that Krejza would get infront of Casson, as he is slightly better bowler and better batsmen
- Oueensland: If they wanted to play one spinner, then he would get infront of Haurtiz and Le Loux without a sweat, their pretty average compared to him.
Tasmania: The extra turn that Krejza get would get him infront of Doherty and his FC stats are pretty average to say the least, average of 52. On Tasmania batter friendly pitches his extra turn would be more useful then Doherthy bowling and will give him more success.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
too small a sample taken to make any conclusion about form lines and relevance.
Well if you look at career stats then you will see that he is already infront of Hauritz, Doherty and on par with Casson. When you add batting to it he is infront of Casson as well. That mean only two young spinners are infront of him, even at this early stage in his career. South Australia and Victoria could play two spinners as i said early, so he would walk into any other side.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
only time victoria ever play two spinners is when warne is playing. you can't go through a whole season having two spinners as part of your best side on australian pitches. one could use the argument that krezja's statistics thus far are flattering due to the number of games he plays on the SCG.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
only time victoria ever play two spinners is when warne is playing. you can't go through a whole season having two spinners as part of your best side on australian pitches. one could use the argument that krezja's statistics thus far are flattering due to the number of games he plays on the SCG.
Yeah but with White batting in the top 6, you can still play 3 quicks, with Krejza batting at 8. With the extra turn he gets by himself he would be effective on most pitches in Australia. But if your going to use that arugment about the SCG, you could also use it about Cullen and Adel. Oval.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Adelaide Oval is hardly a spinners paradise. And on Victoria, with as many as four all-rounders, they never have four bowlers, when a bowler like Matthew Inness can't get a game, Krezja has shnips, and the way that the Victorian batting was this year, you'd be using the extra position opened up by all the all-rounders to put in another batsman, not bowler. Meh, agree to disagree.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
Adelaide Oval is hardly a spinners paradise. And on Victoria, with as many as four all-rounders, they never have four bowlers, when a bowler like Matthew Inness can't get a game, Krezja has shnips, and the way that the Victorian batting was this year, you'd be using the extra position opened up by all the all-rounders to put in another batsman, not bowler. Meh, agree to disagree.
Just one extra note before we agree to disagree Krezja is a bowling all rounder, FC average of 19 and two 50s. His got a better record then McDonald, Crosthwaite or Knowles. He would make the side as a bowling all rounder batting at 8.