• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Indian cricket starting to hinge on Sehwag??

dudeurfriend

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well nowadys the mantle of carrying the whole Indian team is not on Sachin rather it is shifting on to a man called Sehwag.... Sehwag is holding the aces in both forms of game and also when he fires invariably India also win... This is not auguring well for team India...
What should be done to let india play as a team as cricket is a team game.... Have your say people :-O

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, India are depending heavily on him and also, he has not been all that good in ODIs.... Maybe that explains why India struggle so much in ODIs.

adharcric

International Coach
Perhaps guys like Ganguly, Laxman and possibly Dravid (although I don't have many complaints against him) slow the scoring rate and don't play a natural game once they come in after the wicket of Sehwag. If someone like Kaif, who will always rotate the strike and play a quick, natural game, is promoted to the #3 spot, that might help. It just seems like Sehwag gets out and the 3-4-5 guys feel pressure to score with strokeplay or something, and get out stupidly. Kaif seems to be a guy who's got that killer instinct that India really needs. I'm not sure if this makes any sense, just giving it a shot:)

deeps

International 12th Man
i feel that battin revolves around both Sehwag and dravid. sehwag gets all the attention due to his flambouyant sstyle

psxpro

Banned
I think kaif higher is a good idea, he is a good rotator of the strike but how is he against the new ball?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
He made consecutive 50s against Australia when the rest of the famed batting order struggled....So I am assuming, not that bad against the new ball.....

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Too many Indian-related threads! 10/19 non-sticky threads when I last checked...

dudeurfriend

School Boy/Girl Captain
so batting order for odi's
Sehwag
ganguly
Kaif
Sachin
Yuvraj
Dravid
Dhoni

Will work i suppose....... what do u say

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Only play Ganguly when he is back to some form. Until then, have everyone upto Yuvi move one place up and have Badani at 6. He looks to be a more natural no.6 type batter and on the flat tracks in Sri Lanka, I don't think (touchwood) India will collapse too often.

nehrafan

Banned
deeps said:
dravid is too low in that.

Sachin
Sehwag
Dravid
Kaif
Yuvraj
Dhoni
The way Sachin is performing, he deserves a demotion, as i feel India needs a good start.

Better have Yuvraj open the innings with Sehwag

Sehwag
Yuvraj
Dravid
Tend
Kaif
Powar

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Why not have Kaif open? An excellent foil to Sehwag, I would think.

Sehwag
Kaif
Sachin
Dravid
Yuvraj
Dhoni

Leaves room for an all-rounder or two.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
LongHopCassidy said:
Why not have Kaif open? An excellent foil to Sehwag, I would think.
It's generally not a good idea to make a middle order batsman open the batting.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
It's generally not a good idea to make a middle order batsman open the batting.
Sehwag? Jayasuriya? Langer?

Although in retrospect I agree that Kaif's style isn't suited to the first 15 overs. It was just a thought.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
LongHopCassidy said:
Sehwag? Jayasuriya?

Although I agree that Kaif's style isn't suited to the first 15 overs. It was just a thought.
NO. Kaif isnt a 15 overs player AND he doesnt seem to have a great backfoot game which fact people keep forgetting when selecting openers.