• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Ganguly be retained as a captain in both forms of game

Should Ganguly be the captain

• In both forms

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • odi only

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • tests only

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • not in both forms

Votes: 17 63.0%

• Total voters

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
As much as I hate to say this, I think he has taken the team as far as he can and it is time for India to have fresh minds at the helm.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
dudeurfriend said:
Is Ganguly deserved to be retained as a captain in both forms of game???
Neither.

This is less a commentary on his captainscy and more on the fact that in the Indian system we do not select a captain first. We need a skipper whose plavce in the side will not have a question mark on it.

This rules out Ganguly.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I'd persist with Ganguly for a bit longer yet. As far as I know, the Indian team have a long break now... gives him time to get back into some sort of form. Give him one more series at least.

masterblaster

International Captain
We've been carrying him for far too long. He offers nothing when it comes to fielding, his batting will never be consistent enough or near the consistency it was when he started out, and his captaincy has proven to be flawed time and time again.

Time to go Sourav, you've had your time.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Give the man a break. He's in poor form. So? Martyn was in poor form 2003-4, and look at him now.

The Indian selectors need to learn that consistency will get results, and persistence will be rewarded. As Dasa said, one more series at the very least.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
give the man his chance and persevere, that average of near 40 didnt come from no where you know.

masterblaster

International Captain
He averaged 51 at one time, he's been using that average for a long time, and due to his consistently poor batting, that average has come down from 51 all the way down to 45, down to 42, and now ultimately 40 odd.

Too many chances he's had. I've been a Ganguly supporter for so long, but every series and every match he's let India down.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Gangs Needs a break to sort his batting out. He should go to Arun Lal, snehashish, and others in Bengal spend some quality time at nets. Once he get his confidence and batting back, it will be a cakewalk for him to walk into this side.

I have always been a big fan of his batting and his captaincy but right now I want him out.

tooextracool

International Coach
LongHopCassidy said:
Give the man a break. He's in poor form. So? Martyn was in poor form 2003-4, and look at him now..
he was in relatively poor form. in other words, the rest of the aussie side was outperforming him. even in that period he was averaging over 40, and getting plenty of starts without going on with them.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
LongHopCassidy said:
Give the man a break. He's in poor form. So? Martyn was in poor form 2003-4, and look at him now.

The Indian selectors need to learn that consistency will get results, and persistence will be rewarded. As Dasa said, one more series at the very least.
Oh yes. He should and WILL be given a chance. And he is too good a player not to be able to make a comeback. But as of date his batting is not in great shape so making him captain only makes things worse for himself besides the team being demoralised.

This is not about dropping Ganguly as a batsman, it is only about whether he should stay captain at this stage.

pskov

International 12th Man
sledger said:
give the man his chance and persevere, that average of near 40 didnt come from no where you know.
In his last 20 Tests, going back to the West Indies in India series of 2002, he has averaged a paltry 33.10 hitting only 2 centuries. Since given the test captaincy (November 2000, starting against Bangladesh), he has averaged 37.03 in 47 matches hitting 4 centuries.His test career prior to being captain, he averaged 45.54 making 7 centuries in 35 Tests.

In ODIs, the decline is even more evident. In his last 36 ODIs, since the start of the VB series against Aus and Zim in Jan 2004, he averages only 29.41 compared to 43.11 before then.

It is clear that his from has slumped since being given the captaincy and over the last two years slumped so severly to where he no longer seems an international quality player. If he were an exceptional captain, either tactically or leadership wise, it could be justified leaving him in the team. But it is clear that he is neither a great tactitian or a very good leader so I think he should be left out.

Duncan

U19 Debutant
Pratyush said:
too many Indian threads.
I agree, it always happens after India loses.

As for the topic... no, Ganguly should not be captain any more. But Dravid isn't that great of a captain either.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
SJS said:
Oh yes. He should and WILL be given a chance. And he is too good a player not to be able to make a comeback. But as of date his batting is not in great shape so making him captain only makes things worse for himself besides the team being demoralised.

This is not about dropping Ganguly as a batsman, it is only about whether he should stay captain at this stage.
So you think his captaincy is bringing down his batting, or that he isn't good enough tactically?

TendulkarFan

School Boy/Girl Captain
Duncan said:
I agree, it always happens after India loses.
Well, considering that India is by far the most populous country that follows the sport, don't you think it would be expected?

As for Ganguly, he has to go back to domestic cricket and work on his batting alone. Make Kumble the test captain and Dravid (or Tendulkar) the one day captain. A new coach and a new captain could give India the jolt of energy and fresh ideas that it now needs.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
LongHopCassidy said:
So you think his captaincy is bringing down his batting, or that he isn't good enough tactically?
I think his batting is affecting his captaincy and then it becomes a vicious circle for him.

It would be better for Ganguly himself to stay away from leading the side.

In any case, the chairman of the selection comittee yesterday seems to have shown which way the cselection committee's thinking goes. He said, Ganguly will definitely play after his ban is over AND he wil lead the side !! :)

Deja moo

International Captain
Drop him from the test side , but not from the OD side. He can yet make it back, his problems are purely mental. As for captaincy, Dravid isnt that great an improvement , in fact, I question if he is any improvement over Ganguly at all. Sehwag seems too easy going whenever he is in charge on the field. Too bad Kaif hasnt been given a chance to display his skills as captain. ( AFAIK, Kaif led the India A team vs Pakistan before the test series. Any one willing to evaluate his captaincy skills in that game ?)