• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ganguly's appeal rejected

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
No, he was only left out of those because of the suspension, and when it became apparent he could play it wasn't logistically possible to get him in.

Hence the ICC have deemed them part of the ban.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
No, he was only left out of those because of the suspension, and when it became apparent he could play it wasn't logistically possible to get him in.

Hence the ICC have deemed them part of the ban.
It was very much logically possible Ganguly was willing to take the 'next flight' to the 5th one day. But the selectors had him shut up.

As local newspapers reported, he was ditched which is a conspiracy theory or personal opinion.

:afro:

The arguement put forward is logical by the BCCI which is why it was accepted. But no way was it impossible for Ganguly to play the 5th ODI.

One would imagine that if Sehwag was in a similar situation, it would have been made sure he plays in Kanpur and Delhi.

Scallywag

Banned
Its only my opinion but I think that the BCCI got caught with their pants down when Ganguly appealed. He was dropped and Banned at the same time, you pick which one first but he could have played in the 5th and 6th games but tha ban was only an excuse for not playing him. I also dont think it matters if he is banned for 4 or 6 matches because he has fallen out of favor with the selectors. A miserable way to go but it almost seemed like he was tempting fate.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sanz said:
BCCI took the safe option because it wasnt an official match.

For a crucial international match it would be inexplicable to not bring Sehwag into the team if he is the form he is for the moment, specially when except Dravid all the others have been out of sorts.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Safe bet or not but It has happened before in case of Sehwag. One could argue that India took a safe bet as well in case of Ganguly and as it turned out their explanation was good enough for ICC to consider Ganguly's exclusion in last ODI as part of the 6 match ban.

You have already contradicted yourself in this thread and have been proved wrong. Now you can harp on it all day and still claim to be beyond any prejudeices, I certainly have got better things to do.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sanz said:
You have already contradicted yourself in this thread and have been proved wrong. Now you can harp on it all day and still claim to be beyond any prejudeices, I certainly have got better things to do.
Prejudice of what? I never said it was Ganguly's fault that he didnt get to play the next two matches. I accepted I was wrong to say 'yeah' for the remark of the person who said that and I agreed to him

The Sehwag case you show is from another era, not relevant at all. The crucial player, Tendulkar played the match at that point. Sehwag would in this instance as well in a similar situation.

Stop putting one and one together to make three just to prove me wrong.

That is not COOL.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush, you were wrong when you supported age_master and you are wrong when you gave Sehwag's example. Tendulkar wasn't even banned, the person who was banned (sehwag) was not selected to play in the test before ICC decided to make it unofficial. If I am not mistaken Sehwag had made his test debut in that series and was playing quite well before that ban. It's not from another era, its just 2001-2002 3 seasons ago and IMO very relevant.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sanz said:
Pratyush, you were wrong when you supported age_master and you are wrong when you gave Sehwag's example. Tendulkar wasn't even banned, the person who was banned (sehwag) was not selected to play in the test before ICC decided to make it unofficial. If I am not mistaken Sehwag had made his test debut in that series and was playing quite well before that ban. It's not from another era, its just 2001-2002 3 seasons ago and IMO very relevant.
Sehwag wasnt as important a player at that point of time. And it was an unofficial test match.

A accept I was wrong in the first part but there is no doubting that if Sehwag was in a similar situation right now, there would have been every thing to ensure he went to Kanpur to play the 5th odi if he was elligible for selection.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Pratyush said:
That the local newspapers stop projecting him as a victim.
But isn't the local newspapers just going with what the majority of the public think: That Ganguly is hard done by Chris Broad and his bunch of racist cronies in the ICC?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
Sehwag wasnt as important a player at that point of time. And it was an unofficial test match.
Yeah, he scores a century when most batsman failed and he was not an important playerre, if you say so.

Point is, Sehwag was not going to play the Test match Official or unofficial. Did you know that Sehwag had to sit out of the next match at Mohali as well ?? Had Indian team known that it was an un-official test match, Sehwag would have been in the Final-XI.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
SquidAU said:
But isn't the local newspapers just going with what the majority of the public think: That Ganguly is hard done by Chris Broad and his bunch of racist cronies in the ICC?
I dont think so. Not that I have gone to 1 Billion people and asked their opinion, but whoever I have talked to about this thinks that Ganguly deserves this punishment but they also want consistency in punishment.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
That the local newspapers stop projecting him as a victim.
The local newspaper merely quoted the chief minister :-

"Sourav received a boost when state chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee said in Siliguri that he is a 'victim of gross injustice' "

Where is the newspapers projecting him as a victim ??

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
I dont think so. Not that I have gone to 1 Billion people and asked their opinion, but whoever I have talked to about this thinks that Ganguly deserves this punishment but they also want consistency in punishment.
So what is inconsistent here then?

shoot_me

School Boy/Girl Captain
Ganguly deserves it fair and square so why can't the BCCI just live with that? Yes, India is a powerhouse of cricket, as far as money and support goes, but the governing body needs to shut up and stop acting like they rule the game. I guess they're just desperate to get Gangs back after watching the last two matches with Dravid captaining :dry: .

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
shoot_me said:
Ganguly deserves it fair and square so why can't the BCCI just live with that? Yes, India is a powerhouse of cricket, as far as money and support goes, but the governing body needs to shut up and stop acting like they rule the game. I guess they're just desperate to get Gangs back after watching the last two matches with Dravid captaining :dry: .
I think six match ban is excessive.

BUT...

....having said that, it isnt excessive just for Ganguly. It is excessive PERIOD. So where was BCCI and other boards around the world when a maximum ban of eight matches was included in the statute book ? That was the time to talk of this being excessive punishment and the world would have listened, maybe. To say so now, when one of you players is affected doesnt carry that much credibility. And thats what the problem is for BCCI.

shoot_me

School Boy/Girl Captain
SJS said:
I think six match ban is excessive.

BUT...

....having said that, it isnt excessive just for Ganguly. It is excessive PERIOD. So where was BCCI and other boards around the world when a maximum ban of eight matches was included in the statute book ? That was the time to talk of this being excessive punishment and the world would have listened, maybe. To say so now, when one of you players is affected doesnt carry that much credibility. And thats what the problem is for BCCI.
Good point. But I think Ganguly deserves it to an extent because he's gotten away with this before and it's going to add up.