• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Reasons why the concerned people feel Tendulkar is past his best

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Thereis no doubt in my mind the guy is not past his best. His best is yet to come as far as I am concerned with 4 good uears of cricket still left atleast.

I would like people who genuinely believe that the man is past his prime to post their reasons for the same.

Just to get their position on the matter clear.

Swervy

International Captain
he just plays differently than he used to...the air of invincibility has gone....the number of low scoring innings he plays suggests he takes longer to grow accustomed to conditions/bowling etc than he used to..sure he can stil rack up the big scores (actually more so than he used to), but I dont think his wicket is as prized as highly as it used to be

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy hit the nail on the head really. He's still a great player and may well have many great innings ahead of him yet, but I can't see him dominating the way that he did through the 90s again. Dravid, Ponting and Kallis have put their hands up as the next Lara and Tendulkar type group who will be the premier batsmen in the world in the forseeable future.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
As the two above have said, there isn't the same magic about his batting that there was at his peak. He can still score runs - and plenty of them - but he generally has to work hard for his runs, like a mere mortal ( :-O). Occasionally he plays an innings of complete and utter dominance, but these are increasingly few. Most of his centuries (especially Test centuries) in recent times have been hard-fought innings rather than dominant ones.

Which is not to say that he's not useful - clearly he's still one of India's best - just that he doesn't appear as good as he used to be. If the genius is not quite there anymore, then it is perfectly legitimate for him to reinvent his style of batting, and I think he has done that effectively. Lara has, to some extent, adopted a more responsible and less compulsive approach to batting in the last few years, and it has served him very well; there's no reason why it won't do the same for Tendulkar.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The question is not about the current form or how he is playing in the recent 1-2 year period with a few high scores and many low ones.

It is on whether he is past his best and will never be able to reach heights as a cricketer he did once.

Just thought I would clarify it even though the question is pretty self explanatory. As far as I am concerned, 13-14 years of consistency and the fact that a batsman plays best at 31-32 usually adds up and says this is a passing [hase.

He is not past his best. He may well have better things instore and his best may be yet to come.

Only time will tell.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
1. His footwork
Anyone who has played cricket and remembers going back to the nets after a long break will recall how every thing is okay except the most crucial one, the feet dont move right.
The same happens as a batsmen starts declining.

Sachin amongst his many qualities that made him, please dont argue since it is my opinion and I am not forcing it on others, the greatest batsman of his era, was his precise footwork. This has gone. Even today, when he edged to slip, his backfoot was moving back a bit towards the leg side. The same happened two games ago. His feet are not moving well spontaneoulsy. He makes an exaggerated conscious movement when he plays forward in defense. He tries to play "off the backfoot" in defense but doesnt move back enough or across and gets bowled and then he bends low down in an exaggerated movement which gives the impression as if the ball kept so wickedly low which it hadnt. He plays a drive on the up off the front foot without getting his left foot across and thereby drags the ball onto the stumps of an inside edge. Same happens at times with a short pitched ball that he forces off the backfoot to covers without moving across enough, the ball takes the inside edge and recochettes on to the stumps or takes the outside edge as he follows it, as if mesmerised, and plays it to the waitng slips. Again if you do not get behind the ball, it becomes more difficult to LEAVE IT ALONE !!

Let this not give the impression that his game has gone to pieces. No. Far from it. But if you watch him closely and if you have watched him over the years, you will find that these things are happening with increasing frequency.

His footwork is getting bad !

2. His strokes:
If you look back at Sachin of the mid nineties, what do you remember ?

Booming cover drives and extracover drives, back foot punches right out of the text book, square cuts that burnt the grass as they screached to the boundry (remember the grass), straight drives that hit the railings even as the bowler was completing his follow through, on drives from mid wicket to long on and the best of them off leg spinners against the spin, moving out to within a centoimeter of the ball and driving all along the carpet or hoisting it conciously over the long on boundry, pulls from wide mid on to forward of square which hit the ground straight from the bat (as they do now from Rahul) and flicks which he made with such precision that you never had any doubt that he knew exactly which hoarding on the boundary he was aiming for.

What do we see now?

Powerful slashes to covers, square cuts that go whistling in the air (remember the air) between gully and point or above the slips, slashes over point and even thirdman, sometimes for six, paddle shots to long leg placed to perfection, pulls that go tantalisingly over the short midwickets hands (a short midwicket is mandatory for Sachin), slightly cross batted hits over wide mid on, and now, believe it or not, a reverse sweep that nearly went for six. Sachin has changed his strokes from pure cricketing ones which could have adorned the MCC coaching book or Viv Richards shelf, to those no schoolboy will be taught by any coach(since the coach wont be able to play them himself) and which will thrill the uninitiated hoardes in the crowds but will make the student of the game yearn for the 16 year old Sachin carving Aussies to all parts of the ground.

Sachin has exchanged his magical strokes for innovative shots which he, being the skilled craftsman that he has been for 16 years is still able to pull off on his day.

3. His temprament :

India has produced two great batsmen, both from Bombay. Gavaskar and Tendulkar. Both great masters and both so different in every respect. Gavaskar was all studied orthodoxy a man who was thinking every nano second that the cricket bat was in his hands and Tendulkar who was all spontaneity and natural strokeplay. He played as if the ball and he were part of a preplanned , pre-programmed pantomime. The bowler bowled and he moved as if no thought went into it as to , "this is what I should do". No. It was as if the body decided for itself and nothing else needed to be done.

Then in the early eighties, about 12-14 years after his fantastic debut in the Carrebean, Gavaskar tried to play a different game. He started playing "freely" so to say. He even hit a run a ball(under a run a ball) century, his only one I think in ODI's!! He tried hitting the first ball of a test match out of the ground !! Something had happened to Gavaskar, he had changed.

About as many years after his debut in Pakistan and then Austarlia, sachin also changed but in exactly the opposit way. He started thinking. Every ball, every fraction of a second from the bowlers hands till it came to him, he seemed to think as to what he should be doing. This was not THE Tendulkar we knew. He had lost his spontaneity. He was playing synthetic cricket. He was MAKING his body do what he thought he should be doing. And this changed him. I have always wondered whether this change was brought about by physical reasons, his many injuries that may have reduced what he coud get his body to do or was it the pressure of expectations, of a nation of himself and of his legacy.

But Sachin has changed and since the result has not been uniformly a hit (barring the miracles like the cover-drive-less double hundred in Australia a year and a half ago), I think it has affected him personally and he is thinking even more about what he should and should not be doing. With the result he has become a prisoner of his thinking and his temprament ahs taken a big hit as has his mental strength. I think Sachin on the crease, today, is probably the most tense cricketer the world has ever had. This can only have negative impact on his game.

For these reasons, I do not think we will see the best of Sachin again. I do hope and pray that I am proved wrong but I doubt it. Oh yes he will score runs. He will get 45 plus ODI centuries and 40 plus test hundreds. But he will not reach even the heights he had reached before. I also feel he had YET to play his best when his game started declining. This seems a contradiction in terms, so let ,me explain.

I think sachin was capable of and should have given the world greater exhibition of batsmanship which he could have , had he not first fallen prey to the innovative strokeplay of the limited over game which changed his style and then when this affected his performance in test matches he made things worse by not going back to his old game but by trying to think himself out of a poor run.

He is a genius so he could still score runs but he failed to touch his peak.

Last edited:

telsor

U19 12th Man
Some batsmen need to dominate to be effective, and I would say he's one of them.

SJS explained the technical reasons very well, but there is also the small matter that the bowlers no longer hold him in the same awe.

A few years back, if he sent one or two balls to the boundary, you could almost sense the fielding team shifting to containment mode. Now they treat him much like any other batsman. Part of that is because, as SJS pointed out, he's not playing the same shots as before so is less likely to take a bowling attack apart if they don't pay him that respect.

When Steve Waugh cut out some shots to play the percentages it worked, because he was mentally suited to grinding ( although I still remember his backfoot cover drives ). Tendulkar needs to attack. If he doesn't do so, he's 'just' a good batsman rather than a great.

Swervy

International Captain
Pratyush said:
The question is not about the current form or how he is playing in the recent 1-2 year period with a few high scores and many low ones.

It is on whether he is past his best and will never be able to reach heights as a cricketer he did once.

Just thought I would clarify it even though the question is pretty self explanatory. As far as I am concerned, 13-14 years of consistency and the fact that a batsman plays best at 31-32 usually adds up and says this is a passing [hase.

He is not past his best. He may well have better things instore and his best may be yet to come.

Only time will tell.
weel you may turn out to be right, however I severely doubt that he will ever bat as well as he used to....when on song, he was untouchable a few years ago, now, I think there are plenty of batsmen who are more dangerous than sachin..or at least more prized wickets than his.

Sure, he has had an amazing career,but there is no way he is the batsmen he once was..and I think its alot more to do with the passing of time rather than form (he has looked out of sorts for quite a while now!!!)

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
I think it has a LOT to do with Virender Sehwag, Not the going past his best thing, which i think is not very true...Just the change in temperament and approach to each innings.

Link

State Vice-Captain
Sanz said:
I think some of us are in DENIAL. Tendulkar is indeed past his best.
i aint, just thought i would keep my mouth closed. the thing is though, tendulkars 'not in his best mode' is better than mosts

Swervy

International Captain
Link said:
i aint, just thought i would keep my mouth closed. the thing is though, tendulkars 'not in his best mode' is better than mosts
you are right about that, he is better than most,however he has gone from being the best or at the very least 2nd best,to Top 10, maybe not even that...the topic of the thread is whether he is past his best, he is still very good but not as good as he was

Gangster

U19 12th Man
Pratyush said:
Thereis no doubt in my mind the guy is not past his best. His best is yet to come as far as I am concerned with 4 good uears of cricket still left atleast.

I would like people who genuinely believe that the man is past his prime to post their reasons for the same.

Just to get their position on the matter clear.
BECAUSE HE CAN'T BAT ANYMORE

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
SJS has killed the thread with a post that leaves little to add :D

SJS, do you think SRT's transformation is more mental than physical ? That seems to be the general tone of your post.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:

So how do you base any argument other than on his recent form then?