• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Different eras In Indian limited over game !!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It is very interesting too see how some players or some events affect the complete attitude of a team. I was looking at how the Indian team has started scoring so consistently at close to a run a minute which is such a far cry from Gavaskar's 36 not out in 60 overs in the first World Cup !!

Here is a graph of India's cumulative strike rate. I from mid 70's to date. I have divided the eras into four.
1. 1974-1982 (Gavaskar Era)
2. 1982-1992(Kapil Era)
3. 1993-2001 (Tendulkar Era)
4. 2001 to date (Sehwag Era).

The important dates are really,
1. Kapil's being appointed captain of India. 12th Sept 1982. Kapil led India for the first toime. He brought his own innate aggression to the team. and you can see the run rate soaring from the 50's and 60's to the mid 70's.

2. Sachin opens in ODI's for India. 27th March 1994 Scoring a scorching 82 in just 43 deliveries and getting the modest New zealand target of 143 in 23 overs, Sachin set the tone for a new era in India's limited over game. The run rate shot up to the lower 80's and stayed their consistently for nearly a whole decade !

3. Sehwag opens for India : 26th July 2001. After 2-3 modest innings with smaller players, Sehwag finally opened with Ganguly on 7th August 2001 and got his first 100 in 70 deliveries. He forged an even more succesful partnership with Sachin which prospers till date. They along with the youngsters like Yuvraj and a resurgent Dravid took the run rate to the high 80's and beyond till it finally touched a round 100 in 2005 !!

Of course, all over the world the run rates have been going up but it is interesting to see how the dates I mentioned above correspond so closely with the major turn arounds in the Indian batting strike rates.

Have a look

Attachments

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I think Tendulkar opened for the first time in a World Cup game in 1992 versus Zimbabwe. I remember being excited as Tendulkar would be opening and I would not have to wait till he comes to bat at number 4. I may be wrong though.

Good breaking down of eras in Indian odi cricket.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
I think Tendulkar opened for the first time in a World Cup game in 1992 versus Zimbabwe. I remember being excited as Tendulkar would be opening and I would not have to wait till he comes to bat at number 4. I may be wrong though.

You may be right. Let me recheck :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:

No Pratyush. I am correct. This is the first game in which Sachin opened in ODI's.

ODI # 897
New Zealand v India, 1993/94, 2nd One-day International
Eden Park, Auckland
27 March 1994 (50-overs match)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
SJS said:
No Pratyush. I am correct. This is the first game in which Sachin opened in ODI's.

ODI # 897
Eden Park, Auckland
I had a feeling he opener with Kapil in a world cup game in 1992. Me wrong then.

Cheers.

veeru2810

Banned
SJS said:

ODI # 897
Eden Park, Auckland
oh yeah i remember that match! My mom had gone to a friend's house and they had the TV on at their place and I was at home. I didn't know there was a match on and she called me and told me to watch Sachin bat. And I saw this one!

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Interesting analysis that. I expect that the scoring rates have gone up with every team, but did you notice that around 1996, the time when Jayasuriya supposedly changed ODI openings, the Indian Scoring rate remained quite stable

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Gotchya said:
Interesting analysis that. I expect that the scoring rates have gone up with every team, but did you notice that around 1996, the time when Jayasuriya supposedly changed ODI openings, the Indian Scoring rate remained quite stable
Two words:

Short boundaries