• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Countries and T.V networks with the best cricket coverage...

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My Ranking from what I've seen are....

1) CHANNEL 9 - AUSTRALIA - No.1 mainly due the great commentary team although the use of technology has imporved in recent years.

2) CHANNEL 4 - ENGLAND - Amazing use of technology and Analysis, not far behind channel 9 overall.

3) SKY SPORTS - ENGLAND - Apart from Bob Willis sending me to sleep, a good commentary team and good use of technology although not quite as sharp as Channel 4.

4) SKY SPORTS - NEW ZEALAND - Average Commentary team with too many "wetfish" in Gavin Larsen and Danny Morrison although very nice presentation of technology -particularly "Sky-Virtual". Also the added treat of Coney's Dillmar tea party which can be a laugh.

I haven't seen enough of other t.v networks recently such as ESPN and others that cover sub-continent games or the west indies and s.africa for that matter to compare.

Perhaps others can let us know how they compare to those above

Hoggy

U19 12th Man
The package of actual cricket channel 9 gives us is good.

The treatment to the fans is utter rubbish - I mean missing Gough's hat trick, McGrath's 50, etc.

Utter ********.

Zinzan

Hoggy said:
The package of actual cricket channel 9 gives us is good.

The treatment to the fans is utter rubbish - I mean missing Gough's hat trick, McGrath's 50, etc.

Utter ********.
Are you referring to new breaks or the fact that they don't play all sessions if you live in the city that the game is being played at (and its not a sellout)?

Hoggy

U19 12th Man
Basically where they say "Sydney Melbourne and Tasmanian viewers are leaving us now, check the scores in the news"

If Australia are playing India or someone like that we could miss 10+ overs just coz we live on the Eastern seaboard.

Zinzan

Hoggy said:
Basically where they say "Sydney Melbourne and Tasmanian viewers are leaving us now, check the scores in the news"

If Australia are playing India or someone like that we could miss 10+ overs just coz we live on the Eastern seaboard.
What a bitch. Don't you have a pay per view option in Australia? When we (in NZ) get the feed from channel 9 on sky NZ we don't miss anything.

howardj

International Coach
zinzan12 said:
My Ranking from what I've seen are....

1) CHANNEL 9 - AUSTRALIA - No.1 mainly due the great commentary team although the use of technology has imporved in recent years.

2) CHANNEL 4 - ENGLAND - Amazing use of technology and Analysis, not far behind channel 9 overall.

3) SKY SPORTS - ENGLAND - Apart from Bob Willis sending me to sleep, a good commentary team and good use of technology although not quite as sharp as Channel 4.

4) SKY SPORTS - NEW ZEALAND - Average Commentary team with too many "wetfish" in Gavin Larsen and Danny Morrison although very nice presentation of technology -particularly "Sky-Virtual". Also the added treat of Coney's Dillmar tea party which can be a laugh.

I haven't seen enough of other t.v networks recently such as ESPN and others that cover sub-continent games or the west indies and s.africa for that matter to compare.

Perhaps others can let us know how they compare to those above
The Channel Nine commentary team would have to be the worst in the world. Some of the guys in there are so stale. For example when was the last time Bill Lawry made an incisive remark? Lawry, and Tony Greig just give the Aussie team too much praise - they are like salesmen.....trying to sell us on how good the Aussie team are, when we should be left to make up our own mind.

Furthermore, Richie tries too hard to make clever and witty remarks. I liked Richie when he was naturally witty. But now he just tries to be witty too often, with virtually every comment he makes. It's really forced and embarrassing.

The only commentators I like on that team are Mark Nicholas, Ian Chappell and Ian Healy. They use their experience, to make incisive remarks and thought provoking observations that inexperienced cricket watchers wouldnt be able to make. Put simply, they add something to the pictures. They don't just describe what everyone can already see on their TV screens, and they dont try to ram the Australian team down the throat of the viewer.

Tastigersfan

Cricket Spectator
Channel 9 treat us like dirt.... :@

when India where out here a couple of years back it rained at the gabba and it took them ages to get back to the game after it started and India than were competitive like no one has in Australia for years and it was exciting, the programming guy they put me through to said it was not coming back on .... but it did (Phone calls by lots of us perhaps),

Like others I am still p***** at missing Goughs hatrick and other great things that have happened.... sadly it seems like sky viewers in New Zealand see more of our games than we do.

I have no problem when it's the telly but we are missing more and more cricket in Australia because they want to show other stuff...

I have being very impressed with Sky New Zealand since having Fox.

Hoggy

U19 12th Man
zinzan12 said:
What a bitch. Don't you have a pay per view option in Australia? When we (in NZ) get the feed from channel 9 on sky NZ we don't miss anything.
Nup, straight to the news.

In the 2nd Chappell Hadlee game in Sydney last season the Australian innings went overtime (Chris Harris' injury being the main reason) and they decided to go to the news with one over left.

I mean it's one over, what's the difference of missing 3 minutes of news. Considering the break is 45 minutes anyway and they put on the news and A Current Affair which goes for an hour long. We're already missing 15 minutes. (I think for that game it was 2 wickets as well)

Zinzan

Hoggy said:
Nup, straight to the news.

In the 2nd Chappell Hadlee game in Sydney last season the Australian innings went overtime (Chris Harris' injury being the main reason) and they decided to go to the news with one over left.

I mean it's one over, what's the difference of missing 3 minutes of news. Considering the break is 45 minutes anyway and they put on the news and A Current Affair which goes for an hour long. We're already missing 15 minutes. (I think for that game it was 2 wickets as well)
Seems crazy that we get better coverage from Channel 9 in NZ than you do

Bouncer

State Regular
I would say its one of the English channels Sky or CH4 which is best....U get great use of Technology....CH9 has not improved too much interms of technology, specially The Camra work hasnt gone too far ahead of what it was in mid-late 90's....SO to me it is either Sky or CH4

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have Austar in Australia and it is so much better than 9 that it's not funny.

Commentary is fresher and minimal ads.

Plus in the past 12 months I have watched the following series live.

Aus vs Sri Lanka
Aus vs India
India vs New Zealand
India vs South Africa
England vs South Africa
Aus vs New Zealand
Sri Lanka vs New Zealand

Beleg

International Regular
I will re-iterate what I have stated countless times before.

Pakistan Television is the worst.

Now, depening on my mood and the particular commentator, either Sky NZ or Channel 9 in the best.

Sehwag309

Banned
Although seen parts of it

TV in England is the best, especially with that Wide-Screen Option, I will always opt for Tech-Savvy Broadcasting

I wait for the day HDTV Broadcast with 7.1 Surround and Interactive Features

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Something that really annoys me about Sky NZ is that they dont show a wrap up of the days play at the end of the day. Every day this week I've got home from uni only to catch the last over or so, and with no overview of the wickets I've got no real idea of what has happened.

Zinzan

Sir Redman said:
Something that really annoys me about Sky NZ is that they dont show a wrap up of the days play at the end of the day. Every day this week I've got home from uni only to catch the last over or so, and with no overview of the wickets I've got no real idea of what has happened.
Agreed, I can't see why they can't have a very summarised maybe 20 minute highlights package at the end of the day for people finishing work around 6pm.

vvk

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I would have to say Sky Sports is unparallelled in terms of production quality, features (widescreen, multiview, interactive, etc.), and they always manage to get commentators representing both teams (unlike Channel 9 - who featured an all Australian commentary team for the Aus/Ind series).
* REFERRING TO SKY UK.

Last edited:

biased indian

International Coach
here people are complaining about missing an over or two in couple of games

but the game shown on doordarshan in india u will miss the first and last ball of every over of the game and in between the games thay have advt in the screen which all the time block the stats shown at the bottom of the screen. :)