• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English bowling strategies for Australian batsmen

vvk

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I think when teams have been successful against the Australian's, there have been clear strategies laid out in consideration with the perceived weaknesses of each batsmen. New Zealand did it 5 years ago, and the Australian's themselves employ varying tactics extremely successfully against oppposition teams (the way they bowled to Dravid in the last series was phenomenal).

I think perhaps we can come up with some ideas for the England bowlers (they're gonna need it).

Swervy

International Captain
vvk said:
I think when teams have been successful against the Australian's, there have been clear strategies laid out in consideration with the perceived weaknesses of each batsmen. New Zealand did it 5 years ago, and the Australian's themselves employ varying tactics extremely successfully against oppposition teams (the way they bowled to Dravid in the last series was phenomenal).

I think perhaps we can come up with some ideas for the England bowlers (they're gonna need it).
I am pretty sure the English set up know the weaknesses and strengths already of the Australians

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Short ones against Hayden are not the right thing- the giant will be pulling that stuff, particularly if there's no pace. The Aussies can be unsettled with swing.

twctopcat

International Regular
If it's short and well aimed it might be, he sometimes goes for ones that are not pullable in order to dominate an attack. *waits for barrage of abuse*

C_C

International Captain
This should be the strategy:

1. hollow out the ball and insert a few tiny lead ballast balls. inside a small pouch.

2. insert a lil motor and battery

3. paint the receiver wire white and blend it into the seam

4. put a lil button the size of a dime on your wrist that has its antanne mixed into the bodyhair (need a really wolly player for this...ENG bowlers should go get some baldness preventing cream and apply it 24/7 to their wrists/forearms)

5. bowl the ball and then press-release like hell to contol the ballast

6. If motor breaks down due to over-pressing the button, get giles to bowl a long hop after taunting ponting that he cant hit sixes. replace lost ball with another similarly rigged.

7. hope the ump doesnt find out.
:D :D

tooextracool

International Coach
vvk said:

well if they dont have a plan against every australian batsman already, they really dont deserve to be playing in the ashes series itself.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The best tactic against Ponting and most of the Aussie batsmen is to deny them runs. I know it sounds simple, but particularly against Ponting who loves to feel bat on ball, its crucial England bowlers to frustrate.

Chris Martin did it to an extent against Ponting in the recent test series. Martin kept bowling wide of the off stump, giving Ponting nothing even marginally straight to work on the leg-side or to pull . Eventually Ponting played at a wide one and edged it.

I remember Slater who was commentating at the time before Ponting was out was suggesting Martin was wasting the new ball bowling that wide, although it was clear to see Ponting was getting frustrated. When Ponting was out, Slater then did a full 360 and said it was a great tactic by Martin.

With the way the Aussies like to score at around 4 an over in test cricket, bowling dot balls really increases the chance of getting wickets. It may sound negative but it can work.

Eclipse

International Debutant
One thing i've always noticed when England play us is they overdo the short stuff WAY to much...

it's like they want to feed guys like Ricky Ponting and Adam Gilchrist with balls for there favorite shot. Maybe they just appreciate good pull/hook shots or something lol..

Eclipse

International Debutant
cameeel said:
Good swing bowling, there isnt a lot of it going around at the moment
yep true, everyone struggles with good swing bowling.. never seen anyone who doesn't

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
i dont hink u lads should worry too much about that, i would expect Michael Vaughan & Fletcher to already have clear cut trategies for all the aussie batsmen, if they dont they dont they are better off telling ponting keep the ashes until 2006

shaka

International Regular
what they could do is watch where Vettori was bowling and then try get Giles to copy that

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
shaka said:
what they could do is watch where Vettori was bowling and then try get Giles to copy that
pretty sure they've got that scenario plus numerous others covered mate

tooextracool

International Coach
Eclipse said:
One thing i've always noticed when England play us is they overdo the short stuff WAY to much...

it's like they want to feed guys like Ricky Ponting and Adam Gilchrist with balls for there favorite shot. Maybe they just appreciate good pull/hook shots or something lol..
well its not just when they play australia, even in the recent series against SA, bar hoggard occasionally almost every other bowler bowled way too short.

vvk

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
That's because Harmison and Jones do not swing the ball. If they pitch it up they will be absolutely slaughtered.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
zinzan12 said:
The best tactic against Ponting and most of the Aussie batsmen is to deny them runs. I know it sounds simple, but particularly against Ponting who loves to feel bat on ball, its crucial England bowlers to frustrate.

Chris Martin did it to an extent against Ponting in the recent test series. Martin kept bowling wide of the off stump, giving Ponting nothing even marginally straight to work on the leg-side or to pull . Eventually Ponting played at a wide one and edged it.

I remember Slater who was commentating at the time before Ponting was out was suggesting Martin was wasting the new ball bowling that wide, although it was clear to see Ponting was getting frustrated. When Ponting was out, Slater then did a full 360 and said it was a great tactic by Martin.

With the way the Aussies like to score at around 4 an over in test cricket, bowling dot balls really increases the chance of getting wickets. It may sound negative but it can work.
That would be... half of Martin's total for the series?
Bowling in the right areas ain't simple or easy, otherwise everyone would do it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
vvk said:

I love this way New Zealand supposedly had success with this "strategy" tactic in 2001\02. :laugh: In that series Ponting averaged 83.66, Langer 80, Gilchrist 65, Hayden 59.40, and even Warne 50.25 (though he was very lucky with any number of dropped-catches). FCOL, even Brett Lee averaged 39.66!
Mark Waugh, while woefully out of touch (and terminally, so it turned-out) still managed to average 35; Stephen Waugh was even worse out of touch and averaged 19.50.
The only batsman New Zealand worked-out was Martyn, and it was such a simple strategy that I refuse to believe no-one else has ever tried it again since. The simple fact is Martyn has ironed-out that particular flaw in his game.
Nonetheless, there are obvious weaknesses for most players:
Langer always struggles and always has against the inswinger, and the turning ball.
Hayden always struggles against the in-dipper... in Test-cricket at least. And Tom - you are not insane, certainly a few early short ones are worth a shot - Caddick worked him over good and proper in 2002\03 in the 2nd half of the series. Didn't get as much credit as he should have, because Tudor wandered in from where he should have been at The MCG in the first-innings.
Ponting still appears far from competant against spin, despite scoring runs in Sri Lanka in 1999\2000.
Martyn doesn't have any obvious weaknesses.
Clarke clearly isn't much good against the swinging ball.
Gilchrist isn't very good against spin and the inswinger, particularly early, can cause him problems.
Warne and the rest of the tail aren't up to much against any moving ball.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Eclipse said:

England overdo the short stuff full-stop... no-one can ever work-out why, but there have only been brief periods in the last 7 years when the short stuff hasn't been overdone.