• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When u thought that.......

Bouncer

State Regular
The game might have been fixed?

This is a question...people talk about match fixing alot, even now...when i think its pretty much gone...But my qs to u guys is that....While Watching a game, Did u ever feel that the particular game you are watching may be fixed???

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
The second final of the VB Series in 2003-4 was as one-sided as a game could be without being fixed...

Or was it? :ph34r:

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It was a VB Series game and New Zealand were never going to beat South Africa, but they did go slow so South Africa could get the bonus point and keep Australia out of the final.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I didn't actually see the 5th day of the 5th test vs SA in 99/00 'cos I was at work, but I remember being stunned to see an England victory when I returned home as I'd assumed it would peter out to a tame draw. IIRC a few pundits even praised Cronje for his "sporting" declaration.

Of course it stinks to high heaven in retrospect.

Langeveldt

Soutie
BoyBrumby said:
I didn't actually see the 5th day of the 5th test vs SA in 99/00 'cos I was at work, but I remember being stunned to see an England victory when I returned home as I'd assumed it would peter out to a tame draw. IIRC a few pundits even praised Cronje for his "sporting" declaration.

I was genuinely suckered into that.. I knew SA had the series and was pleased that we had such an entertaining day of cricket..

Hindsight eh..

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
BoyBrumby said:

Ditto Bdesh v Pakistan at Northampton in 99.

psxpro

Banned
Mister Wright said:
It was a VB Series game and New Zealand were never going to beat South Africa, but they did go slow so South Africa could get the bonus point and keep Australia out of the final.

Actually you got it wrong, NZ went for the bonus point rather than the win.
Sa wanted NZ in the final, not NZ wanted Sa.
Nz would have loved to have played Aus in the final.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
psxpro said:
Actually you got it wrong, NZ went for the bonus point rather than the win.
Sa wanted NZ in the final, not NZ wanted Sa.
Nz would have loved to have played Aus in the final.
First time I've ever heard it that way...

psxpro

Banned
Neil Pickup said:
First time I've ever heard it that way...

Nz did not let Sa go to the final, NZ Wanted to get to the final themselves, so once they couldn't win they went for the bonus point instead of the win.
NZ would have loved to have played Aus instead of Sa in the final. Aus were getting wasted by bond, NZ had no hope Vs sa who were wasting NZ.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I refer to the funniest session of cricket I've seen, in the last Ashes in England. I'm convinced Adam Gilchrist tried his hardest to fix that game - giving 5 chances in the morning session - yet England would have nothing of it - dropped 5 chances in the morning session.

Credit to England for caring about the integrity of the game. Poor show Mr. Gilchrist. :dry:

howardj

International Coach
There was this Asia v Rest of the World game, I think it was. Anyway, it was back in about 2000, I think just before the match-fixing scandal broke. Michael Bevan played this incredible innings to guide the ROW home. It was so full of dropped chances, and misses that I honestly thought something very dodgy was happening. The game sure was ripe for fixing. One of those 'who cares' games, tacked onto the end of a long season.

howardj

International Coach
Unattainableguy said:
Actually, I have a very slight belief in match-fixing. I mean it would be evident if you gave away your wickets deliberately.
Yeah but you dont have to fix the result of a match for it to constitute match fixing. Apparently people bet on all sorts of little events during a game - eg next wicket; batsman getting out between 20 - 30; manner of dismissal etc etc. Wouldnt be too hard, nor would it require the assistance of others, to fix of those litte events during a game.

howardj

International Coach
Unattainableguy said:
Actually, I have a very slight belief in match-fixing. I mean it would be evident if you gave away your wickets deliberately.
i suppose you're right. i mean, it was pretty obvious when lehmann managed to fix several dismissals during his career, by walking across to the off-side and getting skittled :p

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Unattainableguy said:
So stupid shots aren't part of the game normally?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
RE: NZ v SA

You all seem very confused on the subject.

New Zealand did in fact let South Africa get the bonus (or seemed to anyway...) but it wasnt so they would play South Africa in the final. It was so they could make the final themselves! The way it worked out, South Africa ended up one point ahead of NZ and Australia. NZ went through to the finals based on head to head with Australia. However, if SA hadnt got the bonus point, it would have been a 3-way tie on points, and NZ would have missed out due to a poor net run rate. If South Africa didnt get the bonus point, New Zealand would not have made the finals.

Bouncer

State Regular
I have been very optimistic about cricket nd even when everyone was shouting match fixng about several games...i didnt think that way. But the reality is that MF did exist and was a part of cricket in 90's...

The games where i thought SOMETHING WAS GOING ON, were

Pak Bdash, WC 1999

Then there were two games under Wasi Akrem in 1997, one of them nobody thought was fixed but poeple who saw the game would definitely tell you...that Pakistani Captain didnt seem too keen to win.....this game was played in Nov 19997 in Qadafi stadium Lahore....Pak batted first and scored 281...and SL chased those runsg with like 7-8 Wickets inhands....When Pak bowled it seemed like Akrem was fowloing a scrpit with his field change and was taking feild away from areas which were the trenth of both Jyasuria And Desilva.....and bowlers repeatedily kept on bwoling to areas where there was no fielders....it was soo aamzing that Javed Miandad who was Commentating would tell after seeing Akrem's field changes to the Audiance which shot Arvinda desliva was goingto play for almost whole part of his innings...it seemed like he was reading his mind.

The other game was the Sharjah Pak ENg game in dec.....i felt something was going onthere too.....Akrem Promoting himself in order and i still remember they way he was blocking the balls with Forward defensive strokes, bat absolutely together with Pad.....and shout "NO' or "wait" to his partners...and wuldnt even try to take singles.....something was definety going on there.

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
howardj said:
i suppose you're right. i mean, it was pretty obvious when lehmann managed to fix several dismissals during his career, by walking across to the off-side and getting skittled :p
Technique problem.

Last edited:

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
So stupid shots aren't part of the game normally?
Not when they're not required.

Plus, how do you go about convincing all the players to fix their dismissals while knowing you may as well be jeapordizing your career?