Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Last batting place for the ashes?

U19 Vice-Captain

Last batting place for the ashes?

The main question over selection for the ashes lies on who will be englands final batsman in the ashes. Which of the 4 candidates is best?

1.Mark Buthcher - Has proved himself a decent international player over the last few years although prone too throwing his wicket away. Obvioulsy has sufferd from injuries over the last year and will he be able to recove his form? Not the long term option but it is all about beating Australia

2.Robert Key- A regular recently due to Butchers injuries but has bot proved himself at international level. Capable of scoring freely i saw him score a good hundred against the west indies but again prone to throwing his wicket away as seen on a couple of ocasions in south Africa. I dont think he is international class and would be found badly wanting against the very best.

3.Ian Bell- Highly rated for a number of years and last yea finaly really started to fulfill his potential. The future England number 3 and showed determination in a good debut against the West Indies. but will he be ready to face Australia?

4.Kevin Pieterson- Obviously showed his brilliant destrucitve ability in the one dayers and like Bell will become a key member of the test side. He can also play more patient ininings and his move to the rose bowl will help him with this. Hugely talented but will he be too much of a gamble ?

Obviously a lot depends on form and fittness i am not sure who i would pick what do you think?

its difficult, i would certainly rule out key as he is not upto the job that is clear, pietersen would be a huge risk that if it paid off would be great, but i dont think thats incredibly likely although would love to be proved wrong, butcher maybe past his best and is always injured now and hasnt been consistant in the last few tests he has played in. i wuold like to see bell be given a chance as he looks the part as a test match player in my opinion. although it would be intresting to give pietersen a run out against bangladesh in that batting position.

But personally i would give bell a go, pietersen could be givn a go if bell fails in that role, but any more failures from butcher could mean that his time would well and truly be up, which in a way is a great shame as he has played some entertaining innings.

U19 Vice-Captain
    Atacking the aussies is often the best way to play them and Pieterson and flintof at 5 and 6 would certainly do that

Quote Originally Posted by kendall
    Atacking the aussies is often the best way to play them and Pieterson and flintof at 5 and 6 would certainly do that
    thats what i was thinking, a blitz from those two could be very effective and beneficial indeed, however if they both failed then that would be a waste.

U19 Vice-Captain
    I do feel a bit sorry for Butcher but his form hasnt been great when he has been able to play England will need to take risks against Australia so Pieterson could well be worth the gamble

I hardly think Butcher and Key if they played, would even figure in Australia's pre-match discussions, such is Australia's confidence against those two guys. By contrast, Bell and Pietersen are not scarred, and both have excellent FC records, and promising starts to their embryonic international careers.

I could see Butcher featuring in an Australian pre-match discussion.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tassietiger
    I could see Butcher featuring in an Australian pre-match discussion.
    His 173 would still be the aussie minds, but i think they go for a shot out (or bat off) aganist Bangladesh. Not a great indication for who will preform aganist Australia but it is the only realistic way to pick the player they want. My pick is Pietersen but both Butcher and Bell have strong cases. Key i don't think will even come close to the England side come the first Test.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Tim
    i agree about taking the attack to Australia. NZ sat back & got done so England should be using the NZ series as an example and doing the opposite.
    If you wait for Australia to make the first move then 9 times outta 10, they'll come out on top.

Pietersen & Flintoff would be food for thought at #5 & #6

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    i agree about taking the attack to Australia. NZ sat back & got done so England should be using the NZ series as an example and doing the opposite.
    If you wait for Australia to make the first move then 9 times outta 10, they'll come out on top.

Pietersen & Flintoff would be food for thought at #5 & #6
    That could be an very attacking middle order in Pietersen, Flintoff and Jones but wouldn't it also be a bit of a liability. We all know that Flintoff and Jones are capable brainless shots from time to time and i also heard that KP does it as well on the FC arena. You could have three quick wickets and then your down to the lower order/tail. But if they come off then it could put Australia on the back foot like they done with Gilchirst and Clarke when they have some big partnerships. I still think KP is the right option but i can see why they would go for the safer and experience Buther or the techincially sound Bell.

From past experiance, all 4 will be tried throughout the series and discarded when they don't score a hundred in their first 3 innings.
    Only two states to be in - Queensland and drunk.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Our selectors aren't so bad at that any more - consistency of selection is the key.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

vvk
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Go with Peterson and Bell.
    I think this is the lineup to face the Aussies:
    Strauss
    Trescothick
    Bell/Thorpe
    Vaughan
    Pieterson
    Flintoff
    Jones
    Giles
    Hoggard
    Jones
    Harmison

vvk
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    I believe that Trescothick can also keep wickets? If England were daring enough, I would include Bell AND Thorpe - leaving Jones out and have him keep wickets.

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information