• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ganguly banned for six matches

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAKMAN

State 12th Man
Ganguly banned for six matches

Cricinfo staff

April 12, 2005

Sourav Ganguly has been banned for six matches after India fell behind with their over-rate yet again today. The match referee communicated this to the Indian team management, who will announce the squad for the remaining two matches shortly. Rahul Dravid will lead the side in Ganguly's absence.

Ganguly was fined 70% of his match fee at Jamshedpur in the previous game, and has apparently been punished for being a repeat offender.

More details to follow ...

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Hard to argue with that really. The ICC had to take serious action eventually, given that he was getting a warning almost every match and apparently just ignoring them.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Hard to argue with that really. The ICC had to take serious action eventually, given that he was getting a warning almost every match and apparently just ignoring them.
I think they saved Ganguly from further embarassment with his terrible batting form.

AND did a great favour to India. Now there is some chance we may win this series.
:sleep:

vvk

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
SIX MATCHES - that is absolutely diabolical, that sort of punishment was not even given to Lehman for his DISGRACEFUL racist comments on the field of play. Finshing the innings 20-30 minutes late in a tense Ind-Pak game in 35 degree heat hardly calls for a six match ban.

I thik this could spell the end the road for Ganguly. His form and captaincy today were abysmal. It is a chance for India to play with an extra all-rounder - Jai P Yadav, Ramesh Powar, or J Sharma. This will give greater balance to the bowling side of things.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
SJS said:
I think they saved Ganguly from further embarassment with his terrible batting form.

AND did a great favour to India. Now there is some chance we may win this series.
:sleep:

Personally i would have liked t osee him rise from this slump, i know it was looking almost impossible, but its always good to see players redeem themselves....Inzamam after the world cup..

deeps

International 12th Man
ah well, there comes the end of a once great career.

India may actually win the series now, with the extra batsman they can now play

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
vvk said:
This is a career-ending ban.
I dont think so. He is too good a player not to stage a comeback. However, whether he leads again will depend on various things.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
It's bound to be reduced after appeal, isn't it?

The whole code-of-conduct issue needs some serious transparency introducing - at the moment, no one has any idea why or when these punishments are likely to come.

Steulen

International Regular
Apparently, the hefty ban is because he was already on probation for earlier identical offences. Will be intereting to see if India is going to appeal. They may see this as a good excuse to get rid of Ganguly without making it seem like a public hanging.

Scallywag

Banned
vvk said:
SIX MATCHES - that is absolutely diabolical, that sort of punishment was not even given to Lehman for his DISGRACEFUL racist comments on the field of play. Finshing the innings 20-30 minutes late in a tense Ind-Pak game in 35 degree heat hardly calls for a six match ban.

Might be a good idea to know what you are talking about, Lehman made a comment in the change rooms and not on the field.

Further more Ganguly was only warned for his first offence when Lehman was given five matches for his first offence.

Ganguly has continued to offend after warnings, fines and bans when Lehman has not reoffended at all.

Ganguly put himself in this position and has nobody to blame and you cannot compare his constant disregard for the laws of the game to Lehman's once only indescretion.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Neil Pickup said:
It's bound to be reduced after appeal, isn't it?
Almost a certainty considering it's an Asian player. They should just serve out automatic bans instead of this warning nonsense which is too open to human interpretation, these rubbish over rates would decline dramatically overnight.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Good Call. Ganguly deserves that. It may seem like a blessing in disguise but I have a feeling that India is going to get thrashed in next two ODIs and Ganguly back as Captain. I hope that doesn't happen but let's see.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
india is probably going to lose this series now...but i hope the replacement for ganguly performs well in the next 2 matches and makes it a difficult choice for the selectors to bring ganguly back...he has to earn his place in the team...

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
nah i think india will turn it around...Ganguly isnt that important and on crap form at the moment.

adharcric

International Coach
This will help India currently. I still am hoping that Ganguly can redeem himself, get back into form and once again lead the Indian side on his own merit, but as of now he is useless to the team and Dravid will be fine as the replacement. Sriram or Mongia (Sriram I think) might contribute.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Gotchya said:
Personally i would have liked t osee him rise from this slump, i know it was looking almost impossible, but its always good to see players redeem themselves....Inzamam after the world cup..
yes, i belive he would redeem himself sooner or later but this ban just serves him right in my opinion, it is the last thing india need as well, let alone ganguly himself. This could seriously jepordise his place in the side, if dravid takes over captaincy and makes a high score, gangulys replacement makes a ton, and india win the rest of the series comfortably it would be an odd move to recall saurav after that.

C_C

International Captain
So in scallywag's world a one-time offence should always carry less penalty than multiple offence....
well in that case, i should be able to successfully argue that a one-time murder should get less time than 20th violation of the ICC timerule....
Keep in mind that cricketers are NOT exempt to the laws of the country and Lehmann's disgraceful behaviour is in 'hate crime' category.
Not that i contest this ban of Ganguly's- its deserved....but in retrospect, Lehmann deserved a FAR bigger ban for his indescrition.
Racism is a FAR serious issue than simple slowing down a cricket game.

But then again...thats Scallywag....virulent defence of anything Australian, just because he is an aussie....even the most diabolical stuff .
Ah misplaced rabid nationalism, thy name is Scallywag.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
yes i agree about lehmann, but he has no career in tests now, so lets all point and laugh :p
and maybe he will get prosecuted for it who knows....

Status
Not open for further replies.