• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Interesting article on Darryl Cullinan

Langeveldt

Soutie
Marius said:
I was at the game when Warne exploded, and have seen a number of TV replays of the incident. Warne had to be physically restrained by Ian Healy after bowling Hudders, with Hudson looking absolutely bemused at Warne's reaction at bowling him. It was disgusting and unacceptable, but I have to say Warne seems to be genuinely embarrassed by the incident, and as much as it pains me to say it as a South African, he seems like a decent bloke (apart from taking diuretics and talking dirty to every woman on the planet except his missus).
Interesting.. Hudders is such a calm guy he seems like he'd have trouble making a fly jump, I was bemused when I read about the incident.. Wouldn't mind seeing it

tooextracool

International Coach
cullinan was an amazing player, it was a pity that he was completely ruined by warne, but overall hes probably one of the most, if not the most talented player for SA since re admission.had a solid technique and could play every shot in the book and was a fairly capable player of spin, had an amazingly strong cut shot, and an excellent backfoot cover drive. i was really hoping to see him play again for SA when they suggested that with jennings he might, of course that didnt happen.

Slow Love™

International Captain
tooextracool said:
cullinan was an amazing player, it was a pity that he was completely ruined by warne, but overall hes probably one of the most, if not the most talented player for SA since re admission.had a solid technique and could play every shot in the book and was a fairly capable player of spin, had an amazingly strong cut shot, and an excellent backfoot cover drive. i was really hoping to see him play again for SA when they suggested that with jennings he might, of course that didnt happen.
Yeah, me too - it was a pity that didn't eventuate. I thought he was a great bat, and obviously demonstrated a lot of skill against other spinners, as long as they weren't Warne.

I remember the walkout, but I don't think I knew what a difficult personality he had. My interpretation of the event at the time was that the board had pushed him too far - they had canvassed him as a future captain, but were unwilling to offer him a substantial contract, which seemed ridiculous to me. Of course, his decision paved the way for the future captain, in Smith (unbeknownst to everybody at the time.... I think).

I believe that paradoxically, he ended up pretty good mates with Warne. I'll never forget that famous quote as Warne welcomed Cullinan to the crease when it had been leaked to the press that he'd sought psychological assistance for his battles against the legspinner: "Daryll, I've waited so long for this moment and I'm going to send you straight back to the leather couch."

Langeveldt

Soutie
Slow Love™ said:
"Daryll, I've waited so long for this moment and I'm going to send you straight back to the leather couch."
Yeah, mad, although I would have come up with similar if someone had told me to "go and deflate yourself, you big balloon"

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
The all time best Cullinan-Warne exchange....

Cullinan begins the walk to the crease.
Warne: "I've been waiting two years for this moment."
Cullinan: "Looks like you spent most of it eating."