• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lara's best innings (Tests)

Slifer

International Captain
As a West Indian and as a big fan of lara, having just witnessed yet another gem by the prince here are my top ten Lara innings:

1. 153* vs Aust. '98-'99 @ Kensington Oval, Barbados
2. 213 vs Aust. '98-'99 @ Sabina Park, Jamaica
3. 196 vs RSA. '05 @ Queen's PArk Oval, Trinidad
4. 277 vs Aust. '92-'93 @ Sydney Cricket grounds
5. 179 vs Eng. '95 @ Kennington Oval, London
6. 132 vs Aust '96-'97 @ Perth
7. 221 vs SL '01 @ Sinhalese, Colombo
8. 400* vs Eng '04 @ ARG, Antigua
9. 202 vs RSA '03 @ Wanderers
10. 375 vs Eng. '94 @ARG, Antigua

I could be wrong about some of my rankings and i may have missed some innings by the great man. Awaiting responses!!!!

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ignoring the situations in those matches and whether they were under pressure, etc. just for pure technical brilliance, his 277 in Sydney was an amazing knock. I swear it was one of the few just about faultless innings. It was a purist's delight too; just about every boundary was along the ground, he played shots everywhere (although a slight concentration between cover-point and mod-off) and never looked like giving a chance.

But yeah, taking into account the pressure of the situation, that 153* against the Aussies was just dynamite. He did get dropped right before the end of the match, yes, but it was still an amazing knock.

What surprises me is no mention of the 153 he got against England right before he got his 375; I've heard that one often described as his best ever. I never saw it but as far as a consensus can be reached, that one has to be right up there.

Slifer

International Captain
Actually it was 167 but that too was a gem but i just couldnt make room and i also took into consideration the percentage of runs made (of the team total) and match situations in my ranking and that 167 was out of 556 and WI won by an innings.

Mr Mxyzptlk

1. 153* vs Australia
The only Test innings I've seen that genuinely gave me goosebumps. Also the only match I've ever been close to tears whilst watching. The SA-Aus '99 WC semifinal pushed it close tearswise though.

2. 196 vs South Africa
196 out of 347 all out. No one else passed 35. Amazing grace under fire.

3. 213 vs Australia
At the crossroads of his career, Brian Lara entered the game as the second of his 2-game probation at the helm of West Indies cricket. With every stroke he breathed life back into West Indies cricket and set up one of the most memorable home series in the Caribbean.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
i think his top threee were his 277 at the SCG, 213 at sabina park & his 153 at bridgetwon,
i saw the entire 213 and that was just a innings of brilliance facing up to McGrath who was bowling at his superb best.

While the Bridgetwon innings was just has Top cat described it DYNAMITE

C_C

International Captain
His 196 was an excellent knock but i wouldnt put it ahead of some of his other knocks,which he managed against superior bowling attacks...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Think of the situation though. Also, on a track that runscoring has not been easy, Lara flowed. One of his finest.

C_C

International Captain
agreed...one of his finest...perhaps in the top 15...but top 5 is overrating that innings...i think lara has played some innings considerably better than the last one.

psxpro

Banned
Definetly the 153 vs Aus, amazing innings.

I also loved the 116 he scored in the world cup match vs southafrica in 2003.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
Top_Cat said:
Ignoring the situations in those matches and whether they were under pressure, etc. just for pure technical brilliance, his 277 in Sydney was an amazing knock. I swear it was one of the few just about faultless innings. It was a purist's delight too; just about every boundary was along the ground, he played shots everywhere (although a slight concentration between cover-point and mod-off) and never looked like giving a chance.
I probably agree with you there. I just rememeber effortless boundary after boundary with not a glint of peril through the innings. If carl hooper hadnt run him out i beleive he would of broken the world record that innings.

When you look over that list it makes you realize just how many golden innings lara has played. So many, yet you forget so many because of the sheer number.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
His 153* is one of the greatest knocks in the history of test cricket in my opinion, and easily his best. Simply awesome.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:

one of the first cricket matches i can remember watching that one, absolutley brilliant stuff

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Wow, I am glad to see so many guys think that 277 was so good. I keep telling my cousins that it was Lara's best effort from purely a technical POV but they think he just made hay on a flat track.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It was a fair while ago, and I didn't get too see any of the innings, however followed a bit of it on cricinfo while I was at work. It was one of his double hundreds against Sri Lanka, right before he broke his arm. The team where in dire trouble, and he scored more than half the runs for the innings and from all reports Murali was giving him no trouble at all.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Slifer said:
As a West Indian and as a big fan of lara, having just witnessed yet another gem by the prince here are my top ten Lara innings:

1. 153* vs Aust. '98-'99 @ Kensington Oval, Barbados
2. 213 vs Aust. '98-'99 @ Sabina Park, Jamaica
3. 196 vs RSA. '05 @ Queen's PArk Oval, Trinidad
4. 277 vs Aust. '92-'93 @ Sydney Cricket grounds
5. 179 vs Eng. '95 @ Kennington Oval, London
6. 132 vs Aust '96-'97 @ Perth
7. 221 vs SL '01 @ Sinhalese, Colombo
8. 400* vs Eng '04 @ ARG, Antigua
9. 202 vs RSA '03 @ Wanderers
10. 375 vs Eng. '94 @ARG, Antigua

I could be wrong about some of my rankings and i may have missed some innings by the great man. Awaiting responses!!!!
Also, I just noticed the nice spread of these 10 innings over a 13 year period... That is the reflection of the man's consistency.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
mavric41 said:
Bats better without that pressure?
I don't think it affects him at all really. His average as captain is in fact substantially better than his career average.