• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Have You Ever Played cricket In a Carpet pitch?

cricket player

International Debutant
It Is so unpredictable to find Where The ball is moving when you playin In a carpet pitch,Alot of people play on these pitches now days and it can be batsmans night mare some times,Because The ball tends to stay low I mean really low,four quality players of ours were bowled because They were predicting That The ball was going to bounce instead stayed low and really low and took their wickets,Every happend to you?

Last edited:

deeps

International 12th Man
i thought it may have been synthetic, but then the above comments would not be true. Artificial , aka astro turf, gives the most consistent bounce i've ever played on

deeps

International 12th Man
hmm, well is this artificial grass the same as astro turf? i have played on turf pitches and artificial pitches, and artifical gives much more consistent bounce.

Turf gives true pace, but the bounce can be variable, but astro is perfectly normal all the time.... was the pitch damp or did it have damp spots?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
cricket player said:
It Is so unpredictable to find Where The ball is moving when you playin In a carpet pitch,Alot of people play on these pitches now days and it can be batsmans night mare some times,Because The ball tends to stay low I mean really low,four quality players of ours were bowled because They were predicting That The ball was going to bounce instead stayed low and really low and took their wickets,Every happend to you?
I havent played on a synthetic wicket but I would expect the wicket's behaviour to depend a lot on whats underneath. Plus the moisture on the surface which reduces the coefficient of friction making the ball skid.

A cemented surface also keeps low, relatively but once you get used to it, you realise you can go on the front foot comfortably to anything except those pitched VERY short and keep driving through the line.

Its actually better to bat on once you get used to the bounce. Relatively lower bounce is not a problem, unpredictable bounce or a lower bounce accompanied by lateral movement is.

C_C

International Captain
never played on synthetic grass but did play on matting.....got out for 1 run after playing and missing 8 balls and in my alotted 4 overs (20 overs a side), got 4 wickets for 10 runs.....(with about 20-25 byes and leg byes)....
All i can say is, if matting makes a comeback, bowlers like Kyle Mills would make McGrath's figures look mediocre.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
we play on matting (coconut hairs(is the matting) and gravel underneath it) and we have astro turf pitches in holland ( and 5 grass ones) and like SJS said it really depends whats underneath it.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Matting is the one i think hes talking about, about the worst for batting. Astro turf for the most part have nice consistent bounce, Turf, when well looked after (like we have out here) is good but with a little less consistent bounce.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
Good God NO !

I havent even played ON one :-O
I've played other things on a carpet pitch, but that's probably best left for OT...

:D

I used to play on carpet pitches all the time in my student flats.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
age_master said:
Matting is the one i think hes talking about, about the worst for batting. Astro turf for the most part have nice consistent bounce, Turf, when well looked after (like we have out here) is good but with a little less consistent bounce.
Actually matting with a good surface underneath is pretty good for batting. The ball bounces a bit more than on turf so most players who learn their early cricket on matting, are good off the backfoot.

The spinners and the cutter bowlers get good grip on the woven, coarse surface. Thats why you find so many subcontinental players play spinners so well.

You can pull more easily than on turf so those who get used to playing on matting get lbw playing back to not-so-short deliveries on turf wickets.

On the other side, those used to turf, find that when they go forward, on a matting, to smother a good length (by turf norms) delivery, the ball stands up and they have trouble. Or it spins past the bat.

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Nope, never.. I'm fortunate enough to play my cricket on one of the best wickets in the region, and I wouldnt swap it for a carpet..

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I played junior club cricket on synthetic... Its not unpredictable if you ask me, you just have to play off the back foot alot more, and when you first play on turf it can get you in a fair bit of trouble, but it's not exactly impossible to play on... its consistant.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Actually matting with a good surface underneath is pretty good for batting. The ball bounces a bit more than on turf so most players who learn their early cricket on matting, are good off the backfoot.

The spinners and the cutter bowlers get good grip on the woven, coarse surface. Thats why you find so many subcontinental players play spinners so well.

You can pull more easily than on turf so those who get used to playing on matting get lbw playing back to not-so-short deliveries.

On the other side, those used to turf, find that when they go forward to smother a good length (by turf norms) delivery, the ball stands up and they have trouble. Or it spins past the bat.
and guess whats the biggest problem is for dutch cricketers facing fast bowlers on grass pitches....yes front foot shots.