Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: English spin bowlers

vvk
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer

English spin bowlers

Apart from Giles, are there any spinners in the county circuit worth testing at international level?

I say this because....it may be worthwile playing with 2 spinners in the side against Bangladesh with a view of potentially including an extra spinner in an Ashes test match against the Australians.

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Nah. There's no real emerging talent anyway, and how's a series against Bangladesh going to prepare an enterprising tweaker for five Tests against the Great Satan?
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!

English spin bowlers .....

....are fabulous !!

PS: Fabulous derives its origin from fable

International Coach

On a serious note, Giles is our only spin bowler of any note. The fact that Batty is our 2nd best I find a little disturbing.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Halsey

On a serious note, Giles is our only spin bowler of any note. The fact that Batty is our 2nd best I find a little disturbing.
    Its really a tragedy. England hasnt had a great tradition, at least since the second WW of leg spin but finger spinners , both left and right handed have always been there. I dont know why this sudden extinction of the spinner in the last 15 odd years. Almost all the top spinners of the world have been bowling in the county circuit all these years, so its not as if there is nothing to inspire them in the domestic circuit.

Can anyone tell me why ?

I know the one day game is not ideal for spinners but nowhere is it felt as acutely as in England. Given that West Indies, New Zealand and South Africa haven't really had spinners since the war. India, Pakistan, Australia and Sri Lanka havent been starved of spin like England.

It could be the inconsistent pitches. Damp, soft wickets do nothing for bowling or batting.

International Coach
    Uncovered pitches have had a hell fo a lot to do with it IMO. I know they came in in the 1970's, but I think it took a while to take it's toll on the number of finger-spinners. There is no denying it definately makes them less effective.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Halsey
    Uncovered pitches have had a hell fo a lot to do with it IMO. I know they came in in the 1970's, but I think it took a while to take it's toll on the number of finger-spinners. There is no denying it definately makes them less effective.
    But Murali and Saqlain havent done badly in England.

International Coach
    Murali is a wrist-spinner, he merely bowls off-breaks.

Saqlain is fairly unorthodox, and did well for a while, but when people worked him out, he has struggled alot.

But Murali and Saqlain havent done badly in England.
    Yes, well, they're good.

Seriously, I think it's the encouragement tweakers receive in the subcontinent that inspires them to work on their technique that will work on any pitch to varying degrees, but especially the one they are raised on.

English youngsters, however, see medium pace bowling as (rightly) most effective on the typical English pitch which works in the minor grades, but doesn't cut the mustard at Test level. As Bob Willis put it in his fast bowling guide, "The idea of real pace is drummed out of young English cricketers at an early age, and the void refilled with the mantra of 'line and length.'"

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by LongHopCassidy
    Yes, well, they're good.

Seriously, I think it's the encouragement tweakers receive in the subcontinent that inspires them to work on their technique that will work on any pitch to varying degrees, but especially the one they are raised on.

English youngsters, however, see medium pace bowling as (rightly) most effective on the typical English pitch which works in the minor grades, but doesn't cut the mustard at Test level. As Bob Willis put it in his fast bowling guide, "The idea of real pace is drummed out of young English cricketers at an early age, and the void refilled with the mantra of 'line and length.'"
    Thats more like it.

I have always felt that the way English cricket has been going has to have a lot to do with the early coaching. I wonder what kind of emphasis there is on spin bowling and how good is the quality of coaches imparting knowledge on spin. Its not uncommon to see a particular style of bowling or batting (including stance and grip) to quickly spread in a geographic area or even a country.

There is a sameness about English cricketers which has to be traceable back to coaching.

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    Give us Dawson

U19 Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS
    Thats more like it.

I have always felt that the way English cricket has been going has to have a lot to do with the early coaching. I wonder what kind of emphasis there is on spin bowling and how good is the quality of coaches imparting knowledge on spin. Its not uncommon to see a particular style of bowling or batting (including stance and grip) to quickly spread in a geographic area or even a country.

There is a sameness about English cricketers which has to be traceable back to coaching.
    certainly in cricket coaching ive recieved very little emphasis has been placed on spin bowling maybe because it is very hard and most of the youngsters that do take it up are discouraged from an early age as they are often hit around a lot

Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is Graeme Swann any good? Domestic stats are OK, though worse than Giles', but he's still fairly young.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information