• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English spin bowlers

Link

State Vice-Captain
Tom Halsey said:
I only saw Dawson once last year, and he looked ordinary then, so I can only assume that was a one off if he bowled like you say. Would need to see more of him to be certain though, didn’t impress me for England at all, although that was a while ago.
yeah, he changed his action at the start of last season for no apparent reason, probally to attract a bit more attention. the maturity he has now is noticable. he didnt do tooooooo bad in the ashes

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
no, because he can't bat, if England's seamers were better with the bat i'd have him second spinner after Giles like a shot. but the ludicrous thing is that Dawson ever got selected for England!

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Link said:
hmmmmmm..... wrong. do you honeslty think keedy could be an international player
Purely on bowling, yes. I’ve seen Keedy a number of times, and he’s done nothing but impressed me.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Isn't Keedy around 30 tho? Not much younger than Ash.

He's arguably the 2nd best spinner (although you could probably give that accolade to Jason Brown @ Northants too), but is a definite bunny (& Brown's worse if anything) & his bowling isn't good enough enough to justify picking him on that alone. As for Dawson, if 36 wickets @ a shade under 35 apiece is a good season I hope he doesn't have too many bad 'uns!

Graeme Swann can bat a bit & the MCC playing Warwicks is practically an England "A" with Stephenson & Flower (Andy) added so he's seemingly gonna be next off the rank.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I hope not; Swann has never impressed me much.

I think Keedy’s bowling is good enough for him to be picked for that alone, but as you say, he’s 30, and that can’t help him much. Jason Brown I rate highly as well, but not as much as Keedy and the fact that he’s a rabbit doesn’t help his cause. And as I say, Dawson has never much impressed me.

kendall

U19 Vice-Captain
unfortunatly none of these bowlers will ever really be international class although credit to giles he has become good player in the last year

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
kendall said:
unfortunatly none of these bowlers will ever really be international class although credit to giles he has become good player in the last year
he has also become the king of spain, a step up from the wheely bin i suppose :p

kendall

U19 Vice-Captain
sledger said:
he has also become the king of spain, a step up from the wheely bin i suppose :p
exactly blowers terms for him has shown his great change over the last year although still not a great player

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Back to topic, seeing as we'll probably take three spinners to the subcontinent this winter (India [b[and[/b] Pakistan... Giles is certain, Batty probable... then Swann or Keedy - Keedy's a possible as an out-and-out bowler as we'll only play two frontline seamers plus Freddy.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
i think Keeds is likely to have his opportunities limited by Murali (at least until start of Aug) si i think swann is definately in the driving seat

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
SJS said:
Thats more like it.

I have always felt that the way English cricket has been going has to have a lot to do with the early coaching. I wonder what kind of emphasis there is on spin bowling and how good is the quality of coaches imparting knowledge on spin. Its not uncommon to see a particular style of bowling or batting (including stance and grip) to quickly spread in a geographic area or even a country.

There is a sameness about English cricketers which has to be traceable back to coaching.
With little spin bowling expertise you breed little spin coaching expertise, and the vicious circle continues.

The ECB have appointed Terry Jenner to run an elite wrist-spin coaching programme with workshops for the top players and open forums for coaches, but it doesn't permeate to the grass roots to much of an extent. I attended a Jenner workshop at Taunton last January - but that's the only way the programme has touched (that's in the French sense of the verb, much better than any English one I can think of right now) my club (Exeter CC).

I've always encouraged young spinners to give the ball as much of a rip as possible, and by the same token the quicker bowlers to bowl as fast as they humanly can, with control as something to work on later/bowling within maximum speed in a match situation - however I'm not sure how widespread this approach is.

Look out for my cricketing diary starting in a couple of weeks, I'm sure I'll touch upon that area...