• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Death Over Bowlers?

amiller

Cricket Spectator
In your opinion, who is the best at death bowling, either past or present? My mind immediately recalls Chris Pringle, who played for New Zealand between 90-95. Australia needed 3 to win in the last over in one match and he bowled a maiden in just one example that comes to mind.. What is your opinion on this?

Last edited:

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Not Mcgrath, too 'normal', ie off stump every ball.
I'm not really sure who'd I go for. Probably someone like Pollock... I'm really not sure.

Kasper

Banned
I'd go with McGrath for sure. He bowls the perfect yorker and short ball, whoever said that at the death McGrath just bowls off stump is kidding themselves. He bowls perfect yorkers and also mixes it up with bouncers and slower balls.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Today, probably McGrath or Lee. Pollock used to be good but he's fallen away lately. Gough is still quality at the death as well.

All time, Wasim Akram is the man to throw the ball too. Simply brilliant at the death.

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Yeah, I was thinking Akram, and you're right, Pollock has fallen off of late but he used to be pretty good.

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
Kasper said:
I'd go with McGrath for sure. He bowls the perfect yorker and short ball, whoever said that at the death McGrath just bowls off stump is kidding themselves. He bowls perfect yorkers and also mixes it up with bouncers and slower balls.
Actually, McGrath goes for lots of runs at the end if the opposition has wickets in hand. It's a rare case, however.

Swervy

International Captain
Unattainableguy said:
Actually, McGrath goes for lots of runs at the end if the opposition has wickets in hand. It's a rare case, however.
I think pretty much any bowler will go for runs at the end if the opposition has wickets in hand

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
Swervy said:
I think pretty much any bowler will go for runs at the end if the opposition has wickets in hand
Yes, but the whole point being that McGrath goes for more. He mostly bowls good-length balls, and you don't do that when the batsmen are slogging.

Shounak

Banned
amiller said:
In your opinion, who is the best at death bowling, either past or present? My mind immediately recalls Chris Pringle, who played for New Zealand between 90-95. Australia needed 3 to win in the last over in one match and he bowled a maiden in just one example that comes to mind.. What is your opinion on this?
this one's simple.. Trevor Chappell..

iamdavid

International Debutant
chooka_nick said:
Not Mcgrath, too 'normal', ie off stump every ball.
I'm not really sure who'd I go for. Probably someone like Pollock... I'm really not sure.

Kinda ironic that, considering Pollock is about as predictable a bowler as you will find, he's a clone of McGrath only bowls slightly fuller, straighter and slower and he lacks the ability to produce the big yorker and reverse swing as consistently as McGrath.

Of the bowlers going around at the moment I rate Naved-Ul-Hasan because he's a real thinking bowler and he has all the tricks, the big yorker, slower ball, reverse swing and the suprise short ball which climbs rapidly, and he has superb concentration and an ability to execute under pressure.

Brett Lee, because although he may not be the most consistent and he will send down the odd loose oneat the death, when he does get it right a 150+kph yorker which dips in late is awfully difficult to keep out, let alone hit to/over the fence.

McGrath because of his amazing control and the ability to bowl the indipping yorker.

Link

State Vice-Captain
Brett Lee, Freddy Flintoff and Andrew Hall i would rate as probally the best out of the lot